Jump to content
aeichhor

WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, wegner said:

Are we better with a right handed hitting RF now?  Does this take us out of the running for Catellanos?

Personally, I'm good with spending the rest of the free agent $ on pitching now.

Tony said Castellanos is 100% on the Sox radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have to wait until Uncle Jerry stops hyperventilating before we sign another free agent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Tony said Castellanos is 100% on the Sox radar.

Interesting.....

@Tony  - how about SP on the radar?  Wheeler has to be 1a no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Tony said Castellanos is 100% on the Sox radar.

Wow, that would be a fun lineup to watch, especially considering adding Robert and Madrigal.  Are the days of 7-9 in the lineup being near automatic outs coming to an end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Law seems very into it.

Quote

Enough of their prospects have become productive major leaguers that you can see a championship core forming, with more prospects either just arriving (Dylan Cease) or about to do so (Luis Robert), but it wasn't likely to be enough even in a division that's probably the least competitive one through five of any in baseball. Adding the best catcher on the market in Yasmani Grandal was probably the best move they could make short of landing one of the aces available in free agency - and that's not to say they couldn't do that too.

ESPN +

 

Edited by DirtySox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Probably the guy who complained about this signing because Grandal is a “cheater” LOL

Nah Flavum is a true blue Sox fan through and through. One of the top posters here for many years. He just doesn't like cheaters. He isn't the vindictive silly guy who would do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why couldn't this team win in 2020 with a couple more signings?

I think people overrate how far this team is away; they had absolute abortions at two positions that really drove down their win total last year. If you had average big leaguers at those spots, they're likely a 500 team.

Astros, Yankees, Dodgers. That's why. Also add in Braves, Nationals, Rays, A's, BoSox to an extent, Cubs, etc. 

 

We may win. Hell sign a few more people in the offsesason, sign Madrigal and Robert to deals (or just bring them up and start their clock) and yes, in a perfect world we could win 85 games. I'm not here to win 85 games. I'm here to win World Series and that window begins in 2022. (2021 is an outside shot dependent on future trades, FA signings and progress of some of our young guys, mainly our arms - Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Dunning, etc.) I'd just rather spend money that makes sense for the 2022-2025 time frame. I'm okay with this signing, but i don't want to hear the Sox cry poor going into the 2021-2022 offseason. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wegner said:

Wow, that would be a fun lineup to watch, especially considering adding Robert and Madrigal.  Are the days of 7-9 in the lineup being near automatic outs coming to an end?

A lineup with Castellanos would be nuts...

 

1. Robert RH

2. Madrigal RH

3. Moncada SWITCH

4. Jiminez RH

5. Abreu RH

6. Grandal SWITCH

7. Castellanos RH

8. Collins LH

9. Anderson RH

 

That's actually not even bad balance. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Astros, Yankees, Dodgers. That's why. Also add in Braves, Nationals, Rays, A's, BoSox to an extent, Cubs, etc. 

  

We may win. Hell sign a few more people in the offsesason, sign Madrigal and Robert to deals (or just bring them up and start their clock) and yes, in a perfect world we could win 85 games. I'm not here to win 85 games. I'm here to win World Series and that window begins in 2022. (2021 is an outside shot dependent on future trades, FA signings and progress of some of our young guys, mainly our arms - Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Dunning, etc.) I'd just rather spend money that makes sense for the 2022-2025 time frame. I'm okay with this signing, but i don't want to hear the Sox cry poor going into the 2021-2022 offseason. 

Win the Central and anything can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I dare say I'm starting to come around on the idea that the Sox were actually being smart in the way they valued Machado, if they are going to actually use that money in a productive fashion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

A lineup with Castellanos would be nuts...

 

1. Robert RH

2. Madrigal RH

3. Moncada SWITCH

4. Jiminez RH

5. Abreu RH

6. Grandal SWITCH

7. Castellanos RH

8. Collins LH

9. Anderson RH

 

That's actually not even bad balance. 

When's the last time a reigning batting champ batted 9th?  I'm not being critical, I'm just saying WOW!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqr said:

Win the Central and anything can happen. 

You have to start somewhere.  It is pretty rare to jump out of nowhere, win the division, win the WS without some lumps.  Cubs, Astros, even the Nationals all had some losing in the playoffs before they won. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqr said:

Also, I dare say I'm starting to come around on the idea that the Sox were actually being smart in the way they valued Machado, if they are going to actually use that money in a productive fashion. 

IF, and it's a big IF Hahn assumed Moncada would blossom at 3B and they could get Grandal & Wheeler basically with that money he wins GM of the year, hands down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Astros, Yankees, Dodgers. That's why. Also add in Braves, Nationals, Rays, A's, BoSox to an extent, Cubs, etc. 

 

We may win. Hell sign a few more people in the offsesason, sign Madrigal and Robert to deals (or just bring them up and start their clock) and yes, in a perfect world we could win 85 games. I'm not here to win 85 games. I'm here to win World Series and that window begins in 2022. (2021 is an outside shot dependent on future trades, FA signings and progress of some of our young guys, mainly our arms - Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Dunning, etc.) I'd just rather spend money that makes sense for the 2022-2025 time frame. I'm okay with this signing, but i don't want to hear the Sox cry poor going into the 2021-2022 offseason. 

2021 is an outside shot? Come on man. This is just pure nonsense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m in the Eminor camp on this one. Prefer the big money be spent towards pitching and I sure hope this doesn’t prevent them from doing so...

I don't think there are necessarily divided camps.  I totally understood the importance of Grandal yet I posted scenarios with and without him because I always thought pitching should be priority one. But this is a great signing and there is still room for a guy like Wheeler and maybe a MIley. It might limit other position player signings however. Probably won't spend on a DH now and RF might not be a high priority either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

A lineup with Castellanos would be nuts...

 

1. Robert RH

2. Madrigal RH

3. Moncada SWITCH

4. Jiminez RH

5. Abreu RH

6. Grandal SWITCH

7. Castellanos RH

8. Collins LH

9. Anderson RH

 

That's actually not even bad balance. 

Switch Anderson and Madrigal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Switch Anderson and Madrigal. 

I prefer the OBP of Madrigal and his ability to put the bat on the ball at #2. I think he is the ideal and prototypical #2 hitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First big signing of the year.

Biggest free agent contract in franchise history.

It will not last long in the record books for that title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Interesting.....

@Tony  - how about SP on the radar?  Wheeler has to be 1a no?

According to a NY guy , also a link posted since the Grandal signing yes he is . Go back a few pages . You'll find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×