Jump to content
aeichhor

WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Recommended Posts

Just now, soxfan49 said:

I wonder what number Grandal will wear. He can't wear 10 or 9. Maybe 99?

12 I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soxfan49 said:

I wonder what number Grandal will wear. He can't wear 10 or 9. Maybe 99?

Sox shopped an 8 on his jersey in the video they tweeted out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The only concern I do have about Grandal is how in the world do 2 teams now lose him via free agency?  And two solid contending teams who for the most part appear to know what they are doing? 

The Dodgers have a lot of good options at C.

The Brewers attempted to grab Grandal if you believe those rumors, but they are also in a bit of hurt right now with the way their division is setting up and pitching staff.

I wouldn't read into that as much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Sox shopped an 8 on his jersey in the video they tweeted out

I just looked at their tweets and didn't see that.

I did, however, underestimate Grandal's bat flipping ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This, from late 2016...the obvious risk or concern here is automated/computerized ball and strike calls being instituted in the the next four seasons

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/playoffs16_appreciatinggrandal/putting-value-los-angeles-dodgers-catcher-yasmani-grandal-proper-frame

Or, arguably, catchers who frame, which is how Grandal got brought into this MVP conversation in the first place.

Grandal is a fine hitter, though that fact is obscured by his home ballpark and a low batting average. Only two catchers -- Jonathan Lucroy and Wilson Ramos -- were better hitters in 2016, by wOBA, and only Lucroy, Buster Posey and Russell Martin top him since 2014. But he doesn't hit the way MVPs hit. His arm and blocking aren't notable, and he has twice led the league in passed balls. But he's almost certainly an extraordinary pitch-framer, finishing second in the majors in Baseball Prospectus' framing runs (with 27 saved) this season after leading the majors (with 26) in 2015. That made him the seventh-most valuable player in the NL this year, according to BP's wins above replacement player -- just as PECOTA had projected.

The existence of pitch-framing is not controversial; teams have taught it for decades, and Grandal traces his own education in the skill back to a college coach. He takes pride in his ability to steal strikes, and his teammates and bosses praise him for it. There is, then, nobody disputing that collecting strikes is real, and very little dispute that Grandal is good at it.

But there's also no disputing that making strong relay throws is a real skill for a middle infielder, or that a good pickoff throw is a real skill for a pitcher. Were I to argue that Elvis Andrus' relay throws are worth 30 runs and make him an MVP candidate, I would find disputers. So Grandal's potential MVP candidacy would come down to one question: Is the number -- the 27 runs -- credible?”

I actually think how soft his hands and how relaxed his body is behind the plate is a big reason he leads the league in past balls so frequently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I just looked at their tweets and didn't see that.

I did, however, underestimate Grandal's bat flipping ability.

It’s at the very end of one of the videos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

12 I think. 

No one's worn it since AJP, I believe. Maybe their plan is to retire it (seems unlikely and elementary, but you never know)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqr said:

It’s at the very end of one of the videos

I see it.

I still want Robert to wear a dbag number like 64 and then Madrigal 0 or 93 or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

 And was I wrong? I predicted almost in order the final remaining teams. 4 teams had a chance going into the playoffs this year. Astros, Dodgers, Nats ... and Yankees, but mostly because of their bats and bullpen. The rest needed everything to break right. Rays and Braves were the next closest. We're not up to snuff with any of those teams and won't be until 2022 (assuming no injuries and young guys continue to progress)

Again, as I have explained to you before. 

You are statically, factually, wrong, but I don't want to rehash this over and over again.

If you truly believe this, you should quit your job and gamble for a living.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read through the whole thread so this may have been mentioned, but this probably ends the possibility of an Abreu multi-year deal.  The Sox are almost certainly planning on Vaughn becoming the primary 1B in early 2021, and Grandal will probably gradually DH more over the course of his contract.  The Sox aren't going to pay Abreu to be a part time DH.

Edited by Perfect Vision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wegner said:

I believe you, I was talking about myself actually.  I was convinced he was the answer last year.  In retrospect, we are probably better to have lost out on him.

It just seems like they identified a player they really want in Grandal, and made it happen as early as possible. I don't think it's an organizational shift. I just think management thinks they're much closer to being ready to compete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TaylorStSox said:

It just seems like they identified a player they really want in Grandal, and made it happen as early as possible. I don't think it's an organizational shift. I just think management thinks they're much closer to being ready to compete. 

Well said.  I am very excited they got it done quickly.  I can't wait to see what's next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I was pretty butthurt we didn't sign Machado.... mostly because of what he represented in terms of a major shift to organizational philosophy.

In hindsight, I am very relieved he did not sign with us.

Totally..... Yolmer>Machado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cashman said:

Totally..... Yolmer>Machado

One could argue Moncada>Machado and hopefully we soon see that Madrigal>Yolmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wegner said:

One could argue Moncada>Machado and hopefully we soon see that Madrigal>Yolmer

They moved Moncada once they figured their offer wasn't seriously considered. As soon as I saw him  practicing at 3B, I knew they lost out on Machado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cashman said:

They moved Moncada once they figured their offer wasn't seriously considered. As soon as I saw him  practicing at 3B, I knew they lost out on Machado.

They were posturing with that, it was obvious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No one's worn it since AJP, I believe. Maybe their plan is to retire it (seems unlikely and elementary, but you never know)

Gillaspie wore it (I'm pretty sure).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chw42 said:

No I think you can still split Grandal between DH and C. He's not getting any younger.

Most managers won't do this because if your catcher gets hurt and you replace him with your backup catcher who is currently playing DH, you lose the DH. I suppose that the Sox could carry three catchers on their 25-man roster and rotate them at DH, but that seems unlikely, especially with Jose needing a day off of 1B once a week or so. I think it's more likely that Collins gets dealt.

I'm pretty stoked about his move, even though the Sox didn't really need a catcher. They got a nice bat at a nice price. I'll be even more excited when they sign a #1 or #2 SP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Gillaspie wore it (I'm pretty sure).

Good call

 

31 minutes ago, Cashman said:

Totally..... Yolmer>Machado

Because that's what we're implying here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I haven't read through the whole thread so this may have been mentioned, but this probably ends the possibility of an Abreu multi-year deal.  The Sox are almost certainly planning on Vaughn becoming the primary 1B in early 2021, and Grandal will probably gradually DH more over the course of his contract.  The Sox aren't going to pay Abreu to be a part time DH.

I don't see how this move has anything to do with Abreu. I doubt that the FO would have Abreu sign a qualifying offer with a gentleman's agreement that they'd work out a two- or three-year deal over the winter. I think that they want Abreu around for at least a couple more years and Abreu obviously wants to stay here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Black_Jack29 said:

I don't see how this move has anything to do with Abreu. I doubt that the FO would have Abreu sign a qualifying offer with a gentleman's agreement that they'd work out a two- or three-year deal over the winter. I think that they want Abreu around for at least a couple more years and Abreu obviously wants to stay here.

The problem is, his much cheaper replacement should be up 2021 unless something goes really wrong this year.  There is 0 reason to bring back Abreu on a 2 or 3 year deal.  3 years would be awful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×