WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

Let's note that it's not Huntington in charge in Pittsburgh any more, it's Ben Cherington. Yeah there's sometimes "Move this salary" mandates from Pittsburgh's cheap owner, but Cherington isn't going to just give up one of his good players for a pittance just after being hired, at least not without a fight.

4 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Where would you bat Grandal?

I like him batting third so that can he get on base before Abreu and Eloy  

Robert

Moncada

Grandal

Abreu/Eloy

Eloy/Abreu

You know Abreu will stay third. Grandal will be 4th because of the lefty/righty stuff

What this acquisition of Grandal does, is fill the void of a middle of the order, respectable OBP, LH power bat. All of you know that has been something that I thought should have been one of Hahn's top priorities. Having accomplished that task, RF now could be filled with any acquisition, which provides some offense, coupled with good defense. I still favor a shorter term contract for that spot, as I really don't see anyone all that intriguing. 

I agree that the next big financial commitment should go to a #1, or #2 starter, If they achieve that, then the rest of the acquisitions could be of lesser significance and not require a huge additional expenditure. We have to remember that the Sox will likely have 4 new regular position players in Robert, Madrigal, Grandal and a new right fielder. That represents a lot of new talent. It's time to focus on the pitching. If it costs too much to be able to afford a big name for RF, I hope they prioritise pitching and spend the money there.

Regarding the DH: With the rotating 3 catchers, between first base, DH and catching duties, along with Abreu, it seems that the DH role is now filled.

McCann's future: Given that he will be a free agent, at the end of this coming season, he may, or may not be resigned. That will likely depend largely upon how well Collins develops. In the meantime, the Sox have the luxury of solid depth, behind the dish.

In summary; good start. So far, so good. 

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Regarding where to place Grandal, in the lineup: At least against RH pitching, I would want to see some separation between the two left handed hitters. That would not be achieved by batting Moncada and Grandal, back to back. 

Lillian...since Grandal is a SH....who do you like for RF now?

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Lillian...since Grandal is a SH....who do you like for RF now?

I don't think that being LH is any longer a requirement for the right fielder. Whoever can provide solid defense and not be a "black hole" on offense, would work for me, preferably not on an expensive, long term contract. As I said, I'm really not all that impressed with any of the candidates, are you?

Edited by Lillian

I agree with you on a short term deal.  I do not want to tie a lot of money and time into RF this off season.  I truly believe one of our minor leaguers will step up soon enough (my personal opinion is that person will be Steele Walker).  I just knew you wanted more Lefty balance so I thought this Grandal would please you.  :)

Time to spend free agent $ on some pitching.

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't think that being LH is any longer a requirement for the right fielder. Whoever can provide solid defense and not be a "black hole" on offense, would work for me, preferably not on an expensive, long term contract. As I said, I'm really not all that impressed with any of the candidates, are you?

I think if they get Wheeler, Kole Calhoun is close to a lock to play RF. He won't cost much, and be shorter term. And even with Grandal, I am sure they prefer a left handed hitter there. 

I still think a left handed RF should be the priority. Grandal definitely helps that issues immensely, but the lineup is still righty heavy.

Will keep repeating it because it makes too much sense, but David Peralta should be the target. Good defense, good hitter from the left side. 1 year deal. Doesn’t cost a ton ($8-9M range in final year of arb). Frees up right field for a big FA or trade in 2021. Leury can play OF against LHP which he hits well against. Should be able to get him for a fringe guy or two. 

Peralta makes a ton of sense, gents. 

• Thanks 1

So for all the people that want to stop gap RF.

What is the long term solution there?  The Sox FO apparently thinks the window is open right now.

Next year Mookie, Springer, Pederson, and Brantley will be available who will all be much more expensive than Castellanos, aside from Brantley.  I don't think you wait and just hope one of our minor league OFs figures it out. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

Where would you bat Grandal?

I like him batting third so that can he get on base before Abreu and Eloy  

Robert

Moncada

Grandal

Abreu/Eloy

Eloy/Abreu

I like him batting 2nd, behind Robert and getting on base for Moncada (best hitter on the team), Abreu, Eloy, and whoever's playing RF.

8 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

What is the long term solution there?  The Sox FO apparently thinks the window is open right now.

Next year Mookie, Springer, Pederson, and Brantley will be available who will all be much more expensive than Castellanos, aside from Brantley.  I don't think you wait and just hope one of our minor league OFs figures it out. 

Starting pitching is the priority now IMHO

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still think a left handed RF should be the priority. Grandal definitely helps that issues immensely, but the lineup is still righty heavy.

Will keep repeating it because it makes too much sense, but David Peralta should be the target. Good defense, good hitter from the left side. 1 year deal. Doesn’t cost a ton ($8-9M range in final year of arb). Frees up right field for a big FA or trade in 2021. Leury can play OF against LHP which he hits well against. Should be able to get him for a fringe guy or two. 

Peralta makes a ton of sense, gents. 

Peralta is very good against RH pitching. Since he will be a free agent in 2021, he would satisfy the shorter term commitment goal. What do you think it would take to acquire him? Who would you consider a plausible "fringe guy"? How good is his arm, for RF? 

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I want one of ours to develop. You don't have to have every position totally locked up. We will need others to provide financial flexibility for the future. Retread my starting post on realistic offseason. Grandad can hit 1-6 so the new ref doesn't have as much offensive pressure.  I still want a lefty for balance and still like Gardner but with yanks losing center fielder, he probably stays. Think Calhoun in play. I am not big on a significant trade as most of our assets are at low value. 

3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Pederson will be much more expensive than Castellanos?

• Like 2