WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

Just now, mqr said:

Just having Puig and Tim Anderson to drive people nuts is enough reason for me to want him around. Let's play heel.

But fun heel, not like Astros heel.

Puig seems like a POS, while Timmy seems like a good dude who loves to compete. 

I find them very different personally, but I agree they both induce immense rage from opponents lol.

22 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Good signing...but now the FO is committed, can’t stop here or it’s a waste of $. Go get 1 of Cole, Stras, Ryu, Wheeler or Bum sooner rather than later. 

Zero chance they stop here.  They are coming out guns blazing because their to do list is big and getting that first guy makes the Sox that much more exciting of an option to the next guys on their list.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah I would have preferred a 3-year deal myself but probably needed the 4th year to get it done now. Not going to complain.

As long as he was off the books when some of the young guns were ready to hit FA, that's fine. Even if you have one overlapping year. Going to 5-6-7 years is where you run into the issue of evaluating who you have vs what you need to keep down the road.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is accurate, although I do think Abreu will DH quite a bit with Grandal, Collins and maybe even a little McCann mixed in at 1B.

Agree about Grandal getting some 1B time and Abreu DHing, but that would have made my summary way too complex.  But honestly, getting Abreu off the field a little more is another benefit to this.  

4 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Hell no, I'm not so sure I even want Nick Castellanos, because he's an absolute butcher out there, but he's the PERFECT ideal hitter for our park.

I'm good with a short term free agent fix out in RF because I think one of our minor leaguers will step up soon.  Use that free agent $ that will be spent (I know there is more of it) on pitching.

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

McCann is still going to take all of Gio's starts and likely 80% of the catcher starts against LHP.  Grandal just shifts to DH/1B those days. Its a wonderful problem to have, boys. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Gio was hurt a lot last year by poor pitch framing. I know Grandal can't catch every game but our best pitcher becomes even better with Grandal. If Gio stills likes McCann after knowing those facts yea McCann will still be his personal catcher.

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

Does this make Collins the odd man out? If McCann is playing DH and 1B some, Abreu is our primary 1B with some DH, and Grandal is our primary catcher, it seems like Collins is on the block. Especially with Vaughn on the fast track

I think Collins and McCann will platoon DH, and McCann is the primary backup catcher

• Love 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Gio was hurt a lot last year by poor pitch framing. I know Grandal can't catch every game but our best pitcher becomes even better with Grandal. If Gio stills likes McCann after knowing those facts yea McCann will still be his personal catcher.

What if he just liked McCann because he finally didn't look like dogshit and thought maybe it was McCann... Give him Grandal a few starts and see what he thinks lol I've never been a fan of the "personal catchert"... because when playoffs come, Grandal is catching probably every day. No way you catch McCann 2 times in a 5 game series with Gio...

Edited by cjgalloway

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your wish and many others here has been granted.

I was literally taking a shit at work when this leaked and I ran out screaming to a bunch of people in Nashville who could give two fucks about the Sox.  I can’t undersell how pumped I am about this.  Him & Wheeler have always been 1A & 1B for me and landing one of them before the calendar even hits December is fucking wild.  To me, this is proof they aren’t fucking around and fully expect two more impact additions (SP & RF) before all is said & down this offseason.