FS: 40-Man Roster Decisions, Eligibility and The Rule 5 Draft Implications

Rankin

• Rankin unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, flavum said:

Roster moves coming Wednesday. Sox are at 33 now with Abreu back on. Good primer to read. Some obvious additions coming, but there could be some moves in baseball the next couple days for teams with tougher decisions.

Thanks for bumping.  Should see some smaller trades across MLB over the next 48 hours you would think.  

I would say that pretty much everyone on is "Risk of getting claimed" list deserves to be protected over:

Madeiros  - why in the world would they protect him?  
Frare
Palka
Ruiz
Vieira
I'm sure there are more.

Not protecting Mercedes would just be mind boggling, especially when this team needs  a hitter.  Of course not calling him up in September was hard to understand as well.

Edited by GreenSox

18 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would say that pretty much everyone on is "Risk of getting claimed" list deserves to be protected over:

Madeiros  - why in the world would they protect him?  
Frare
Palka
Ruiz
Vieira
I'm sure there are more.

Not protecting Mercedes would just be mind boggling, especially when this team needs  a hitter.  Of course not calling him up in September was hard to understand as well.

A little surprised to see this take from GreenSox, the lover of fringe prospects.

Frare and Ruiz are going no where.  Frare still has 2 options and Ruiz 1.  Both have great arms, and while they both were terrible in 19, they are good AAA insurance.

Palka is a dead goose - he'll be gone soon.

Medeiros is probably a coin flip at best to survive the offseason.  Profiles decently as a lefty reliever, and did OK once transition to that role full time in 19, but LOOGYs are less valuable now with the new rules, and he's behind Bummer, Fry and Frare.  So going to be tough for him him to crack the MLB pen, but he does have 2 options, so that helps. 

Vieira is out of options, so he's probably the likeliest to go of this crew after Palka, and the fact that the Sox didn't call him up in August probably shows how they feel about him.  But he did pass the first round of cuts, so they clearly like him enough to keep him around for now.  His arm is electric.  

Oh and Mercedes....no one is going to take this guy in the R5 draft.  Keeping him off the 40 man is fine, and probably the easiest way to retain him for now.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little surprised to see this take from GreenSox, the lover of fringe prospects.

Frare and Ruiz are going no where.  Frare still has 2 options and Ruiz 1.  Both have great arms, and while they both were terrible in 19, they are good AAA insurance.

Medeiros is probably a coin flip at best to survive the offseason.  Profiles decently as a lefty reliever, and did OK once transition to that role full time in 19, but LOOGYs are less valuable now with the new rules, and he's behind Bummer, Fry and Frare.  So going to be tough for him him to crack the MLB pen, but he does have 2 options, so that helps. 

Vieira is out of options, so he's probably the likeliest to go of this crew after Palka, and the fact that the Sox didn't call him up in August probably shows how they feel about him.  But he did pass the first round of cuts, so they clearly like him enough to keep him around for now.  His arm is electric.  

Oh and Mercedes....no one is going to take this guy in the R5 draft.  Keeping him off the 40 man is fine, and probably the easiest way to retain him for now.  

Someone who hit like him in AAA and all levels before I think will almost certainly be claimed.  There are just sooooo many rebuilding teams in the league.  He's the perfect guy o take, who actually projects to be a hitter.

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Someone who hit like him in AAA and all levels before I think will almost certainly be claimed.  There are just sooooo many rebuilding teams in the league.  He's the perfect guy o take, who actually projects to be a hitter.

Yah, I don't think a team is going to want to jam up a roster spot all year on a DH only guy.  I would happily wager that he won't be drafted in the R5, but if he is, chances are he's getting returned to the Sox before the season.  Having an extra roster spot next season may be enough to entice someone to make the gamble, but I just don't see it.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I don't think a team is going to want to jam up a roster spot all year on a DH only guy.  I would happily wager that he won't be drafted in the R5, but if he is, chances are he's getting returned to the Sox before the season.  Having an extra roster spot next season may be enough to entice someone to make the gamble, but I just don't see it.  

I think with the roster expansion people can more easily hold a bat first player than before.  I mean, if the Sox took a guy like that in the R5 we would all be elated.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Why wouldn't someone take Mercedes and see if he can hit? He hit everywhere in the minors. Nothing to lose.  The Sox took a catcher with far weaker credentials than him a couple of years ago.  For that matter, why haven't the Sox?
Guys like Rutherford are also stashable - now he'd be a pure stash and no-play, but a reasonable move for someone like Detroit.

Madeiros is the one that has no chance of anyone taking him.  He has a low ceiling and he's pitched poorly.

Less than 24 hours left.  I guess they can always dump players after Wednesday - just not add.

I still love my fringe prospects....just not the ones they seem intent on protecting. 

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Why wouldn't someone take Mercedes and see if he can hit? He hit everywhere in the minors. Nothing to lose.  The Sox took a catcher with far weaker credentials than him a couple of years ago.  For that matter, why haven't the Sox?
Guys like Rutherford are also stashable - now he'd be a pure stash and no-play, but a reasonable move for someone like Detroit.

Madeiros is the one that has no chance of anyone taking him.  He has a low ceiling and he's pitched poorly.

Less than 24 hours left.  I guess they can always dump players after Wednesday - just not add.

I still love my fringe prospects....just not the ones they seem intent on protecting. 

Rutherford is going to be added tomorrow. That should be a no brainer.

And Medeiros is already on 40 man, he isn’t R5 eligible. If they take him off, he’s most likely gone. They may very well do just that at some point this offseason - as I said, a coin flip. But no reason to until you need the spots. 

You could be right about Mercedes - maybe someone gives him a shot. But players like him have to hit so much to have any value because he brings nothing else to the table. 40 man spots are valuable, but 26 man spots for an entire season with no flexibility is quite a commitment to a player like Mercedes. There is just simply no way he is anything more than an emergency defender at the mlb level. At least with Nieto he could be a reliable defensive catcher 3-4x per month. It’s not like I am going to be mad if they protect him, I just think the risk is low. 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Is there a link to watch the draft anywhere? If that is even a thing?

The Rule 5? That's at the winter meetings. December 12th. Today is just the deadline for protecting players. They generally don't broadcast it since it's such a minor thing.

11 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The Rule 5? That's at the winter meetings. December 12th. Today is just the deadline for protecting players. They generally don't broadcast it since it's such a minor thing.

Idk why I thought the draft was today.  I figured a website would have the transactions displayed