FS: 40-Man Roster Decisions, Eligibility and The Rule 5 Draft Implications

Rankin

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am pretty sure if the Sox had NOT put him on the 40 man today, but traded him between now and R5 draft, the acquiring team could add him to the 40 man roster (and therefore protect him from the R5 draft).  I am admittedly not 100% sure on that though.  

I think more likely the Sox look at him as a platoon DH option should FA options not come to fruition, and wanted to protect him just in case.  Hard to say tho - I felt the chances of Mercedes actually getting selected in R5 were pretty small. 

Mercedes was a prime R5 candidate with the rosters expanding. If you squint, you could argue he's a 3rd catcher + a 1st base/DH option for a team. That's a versatile enough package, that when paired with a bat that may play up is really enticing. Mainly because he would be attractive to both bad teams and middle tier teams without a true #1 catcher.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mercedes was a prime R5 candidate with the rosters expanding. If you squint, you could argue he's a 3rd catcher + a 1st base/DH option for a team. That's a versatile enough package, that when paired with a bat that may play up is really enticing. Mainly because he would be attractive to both bad teams and middle tier teams without a true #1 catcher.

Roster expansion definitely changes the calculus, but its awfully tough to carry a DH only bat on your MLB roster for the entire season.  

But yah, he's on the 40 man now, so its a moot point.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Roster expansion definitely changes the calculus, but its awfully tough to carry a DH only bat on your MLB roster for the entire season.  

But yah, he's on the 40 man now, so its a moot point.  

Isn't that Collins? Whom many here claims to need at bats?

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Isn't that Collins? Whom many here claims to need at bats?

Collins is much younger and left handed.

While Mercedes has hit at every level, he's also been old for his levels. Collins has hit while being the average age or younger.

People hate collins here because fans are impatient and draw sweeping conclusions based on minimal results. I get it, but Collins is far from a finished product whom we should be defining.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

While Mercedes has hit at every level, he's also been old for his levels. Collins has hit while being the average age or younger.

People hate collins here because fans are impatient and draw sweeping conclusions based on minimal results. I get it, but Collins is far from a finished product whom we should be defining.

There is no doubt Mercedes is the better hitter vs Collins right now, whether you think that's because of age idk (I don't).  I don't even think that's arguable.  The difference (which I don't know) is that Collins is probably better with the glove AND probably has a higher ceiling overall.

Edited by cjgalloway

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This.  To add to it - Collins has much more of a pedigree, has proven to hit well in the upper minors for a longer time than Yermin (don't forget Yermin has less than 400 PA above A ball), and is most definitely a better defensive catcher than Yermin. 

Not a great comp. 

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

There is no doubt Mercedes is the better hitter vs Collins right now.  I don't even think that's arguable.  The difference (which I don't know) is that Collins is probably better with the glove AND probably has a higher ceiling overall.

Mercedes and Collins have pretty comparable wRC+ in AA and AAA.  Collins has quite a few more PA as well, so SS is quite a bit larger.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would think so.  I think the trimming will be from the Palka, Zavala, Vieira, Medeiros, Fulmer and Covey group as opposed to anyone just added.  

Sanchez is getting non-tendered.  Palka goes as soon as we add an OF / DH.  It’s very possible that they outright Zavala now if we were to able to land Grandal.  Any other future spots will come from four the pitchers you named above.  It’s pretty cut & dry to be honest.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

There is no doubt Mercedes is the better hitter vs Collins right now, whether you think that's because of age idk (I don't).  I don't even think that's arguable.  The difference (which I don't know) is that Collins is probably better with the glove AND probably has a higher ceiling overall.

I'm not sure why you think theres no doubt. 

Yermin has 107 games between AA and AAA in his career - his wRC is 147; avg age of 25.9. 

Collins has played 222 games between AA and AAA with a wRC+ of 135. - avg age of 23.5. 

Last year Collins played 30 more games and had a 140 wRC+ being 2 years younger than Yermin who had a 150 wRC in fewer games. 

They are actually very comparable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sanchez is getting non-tendered.  Palka goes as soon as we add an OF / DH.  It’s very possible that they outright Zavala now if we were to able to land Grandal.  Any other future spots will come from four the pitchers you named above.  It’s pretty cut & dry to be honest.

Yah, meant to mention Sanchez in my list but just slipped my mind. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am pretty sure if the Sox had NOT put him on the 40 man today, but traded him between now and R5 draft, the acquiring team could add him to the 40 man roster (and therefore protect him from the R5 draft).  I am admittedly not 100% sure on that though.  

I think more likely the Sox look at him as a platoon DH option should FA options not come to fruition, and wanted to protect him just in case.  Hard to say tho - I felt the chances of Mercedes actually getting selected in R5 were pretty small. 

We'll never know if he would've been picked but I think that he had a 50/50 chance of being picked. He's definitely major league ready as a hitter and a bad AL club would take him and keep him as a DH occasional catcher /1st baseman especially in light of the 26th spot.

• Like 1