FS: 40-Man Roster Decisions, Eligibility and The Rule 5 Draft Implications

Rankin

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Same, definitely surprised me.  Makes little sense why you'd add him to 40 man now, but chose not to call him up in September.  

Just because we make one dumb move shouldnt mean we should make a second.. Not bringing him up in September was dumb.  Not protecting him would be even more dumb.. Let's limit our "dumb" moves to one 

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Just because we make one dumb move shouldnt mean we should make a second.. Not bringing him up in September was dumb.  Not protecting him would be even more dumb.. Let's limit our "dumb" moves to one 

White Sox Baseball: Less dumb than we used to be

(Brooks can thank me later)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Here it is

I do not dislike any of those projections... So I am happy.  Does anyone have a list of who we didnt protect..., I know Alec is one.

Nevermind.  Also, Foster seems to be a strange keep?  I imagine he is one of the first to get cut when we start signing players?

Edited by cjgalloway

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

When is the tender deadline? Going all the way to 40 right now is curious. 

December 2nd.

Sox probably figure it will be easier to slip guys currently on the 40 man through we they need to make space as opposed to right now when a bunch of teams have several openings.  And obviously if you don't put a guy like Foster on now, he is eligible for R5 draft.  Can always remove him later.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

December 2nd.

Sox probably figure it will be easier to slip guys currently on the 40 man through we they need to make space as opposed to right now when a bunch of teams have several openings.  And obviously if you don't put a guy like Foster on now, he is eligible for R5 draft.  Can always remove him later.  

I'd think a guy like that has a better chance of not slipping through waivers than he does getting Rule 5'd no?

Alec Hansen definitely most notable omission.  Other guys that have a shot a playing the big leagues, though certainly not impact talents, would be Forbes, Kubat, Puckett and Thompson.  Only guy I could see maybe taken in R5 draft out of this group is Thompson.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'd think a guy like that has a better chance of not slipping through waivers than he does getting Rule 5'd no?

I would think so.  I think the trimming will be from the Palka, Zavala, Vieira, Medeiros, Fulmer and Covey group as opposed to anyone just added.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Same, definitely surprised me.  Makes little sense why you'd add him to 40 man now, but chose not to call him up in September.  

Wanting to use him in a trade would be my guess. I don't believe they believe a lick of what they're saying about him being an actual catcher. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, mqr said:

Wanting to use him in a trade would be my guess. I don't believe a lick of what they're saying about him being an actual catcher. 

I am pretty sure if the Sox had NOT put him on the 40 man today, but traded him between now and R5 draft, the acquiring team could add him to the 40 man roster (and therefore protect him from the R5 draft).  I am admittedly not 100% sure on that though.  

I think more likely the Sox look at him as a platoon DH option should FA options not come to fruition, and wanted to protect him just in case.  Hard to say tho - I felt the chances of Mercedes actually getting selected in R5 were pretty small. 

39 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Alec is going to get picked up by the Dodgers and become pretty good again isn't he?

There's zero chance that any team that is event remotely average is going to stash a guy who couldn't throw a strike or repeat his delivery on the MLB roster for the entire season.

A team like Detroit is a risk to claim Hansen as they can afford his badness to be on the MLB roster if they still see a future there.