Hawk Harrelson wins the Ford C. Frick Award

Thad Bosley

Hawk Harrelson is, once again, a finalist for the “Ford C. Frick” award for excellence in baseball broadcasting.  

If he wins the award, he will take what many of us believe to be a rightful place in Cooperstown for his broadcasting achievements.  

Here’s to hoping we get the pleasure of listening to him give his acceptance speech next August at the Hall of Fame inductions!

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/hawk-hall-legendary-white-sox-broadcaster-harrelson-finalist-frick-award

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, zisk said:

No offense intended, but the Sox let Harry go in his prime to bring Drysdale and Hawk in. Neither one was in Harry's league.

Drysdale and Hawk were both real good announcers but Harry  belonged on the Southside of Chicago. Problem was both JR and Einhorn hated Harry. I've always thought that both JR and Einhorn were jealous of Harrys popularity with White Sox fans. JR  bad mouthed Harry for years. JR called Harry "scum" a number of times. He even said that he regretted  not firing Harry the first year he owned the team  in the middle of the 1981 season. Say what you want about the situation but Harry came out smelling like a rose when he went with the Cubs  and wound up on the WGN superstation. Letting Harry go the northside was another one of the major mistakes that JR  has done in his years of ownership.

39 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Drysdale and Hawk were both real good announcers but Harry  belonged on the Southside of Chicago. Problem was both JR and Einhorn hated Harry. I've always thought that both JR and Einhorn were jealous of Harrys popularity with White Sox fans. JR  bad mouthed Harry for years. JR called Harry "scum" a number of times. He even said that he regretted  not firing Harry the first year he owned the team  in the middle of the 1981 season. Say what you want about the situation but Harry came out smelling like a rose when he went with the Cubs  and wound up on the WGN superstation. Letting Harry go the northside was another one of the major mistakes that JR  has done in his years of ownership.

Agreed

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Drysdale and Hawk were great!  Harry and Jimmy were a clown show IMO.  I get that Harry was a thing...but I couldn't stand him.

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Harry smelled more like gin than a rose. Hawk is not liked as an announcer outside of Chicago hence no Hall Of Fame. 

47 minutes ago, pcq said:

Harry smelled more like gin than a rose. Hawk is not liked as an announcer outside of Chicago hence no Hall Of Fame. 

That's almost certainly why he hasn't gotten in so far, but hopefully the burst of publicity with his retirement can overcome that. If a guy devotes a few decades to a team that's a reason to get this award. Having everyone else in the league hate him is also a reason to get in.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That's almost certainly why he hasn't gotten in so far, but hopefully the burst of publicity with his retirement can overcome that. If a guy devotes a few decades to a team that's a reason to get this award. Having everyone else in the league hate him is also a reason to get in.

Cowboy Joe West and Angel Hernandez, come on down!

19 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I think it’s much more fun to b**** about Reinsdorf and to relitigate the Harry Caray firing from almost 40 years ago.

The question was about Hawk being in the HOF. The guy was a mediocre homer who would sit in the booth and kiss JR's ass.

The best thing about him being gone is I'll never have to hear about Carl Yaztremski anymore.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

As annoying as he could be to listen to he created "calls" that everyone around the USA regularly says as they play catch or ball in the yard with their friends.  "You can put it on the boooard", "he gone" will be around forever, no matter what team you root for or how old you are.  They were simply brilliant.

Edited by cjgalloway

On 11/4/2019 at 3:08 AM, zisk said:

The question was about Hawk being in the HOF. The guy was a mediocre homer who would sit in the booth and kiss JR's ass.

The best thing about him being gone is I'll never have to hear about Carl Yaztremski anymore.

Couldn't agree with you more. And his last few years were simply embarrassing. 

5 hours ago, flavum said:

Announcement tomorrow...probably in the afternoon. I hope he gets in.

So get a deal done today, Sox. 

Hawk in the Hall; Stoney signed to a new multi-year contract.  That would make for a real feel-good for the organization all in one swoop!

• knightni changed the title to Hawk Harrelson wins the Ford C. Frick Award
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic