Hawk Harrelson wins the Ford C. Frick Award

Thad Bosley

4 minutes ago, lasttriptotulsa said:

Just for clarification, Frick Award winners are not actually inducted into the hall and are not technically considered HOFers. It is just an award given out by the HOF.

SPORTS_160939983_AR_0_QJGOILWCJGNG.jpg?w 

Well they're not technically in that hall, but that's what it looks like in the museum.

• knightni changed the title to Hawk Harrelson wins the Ford C. Frick Award
  • knightni pinned this topic

I am so thrilled this finally happened and that Hawk was alive to breath it in. Love or hate the guy, the one thing that cannot be denied is his impact on the game and his impact on baseball fans everywhere with his catch phrases and enthusiasm for this sport and his team.  

Congrats Hawk, you earned this!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am so thrilled this finally happened and that Hawk was alive to breath it in. Love or hate the guy, the one thing that cannot be denied is his impact on the game and his impact on baseball fans everywhere with his catch phrases and enthusiasm for this sport and his team.  

A million times this.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Great to see a post from you again. You couldn't have picked a better time /thread to just say a really nice thing like you did. Long live Hawk !

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, cjgalloway said:

As annoying as he could be to listen to he created "calls" that everyone around the USA regularly says as they play catch or ball in the yard with their friends.  "You can put it on the boooard", "he gone" will be around forever, no matter what team you root for or how old you are.  They were simply brilliant.

Yep, there's more to the broadcasting HOF than just how popular or "liked" somebody was.

As exemplified by what you've said about his "calls," Ken Harrelson left behind a legacy that most other announcers never will.  He had something in common with Harry Caray in that regard.  They both had famous sayings and calls that people liked and that stuck in society.   That is a good reason for Hawk to be inducted.

Fine by me, I liked his homer broadcasting and that he wasn't just another sterile, dime-a-dozen broadcaster that can be found any day of the week.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

Whatever you thought of these old school announcers at least they had enough of a personality to react to.

Elson, Hamilton, Brickhouse, Pettit, Caray, Piersall, Hawk, Funk, Gowdy, Summerall, Keith Jackson, Cosell, Scully, Albert and Enberg were among the voices behind some of the most memorable moments of my life.

That said I will never forgive Joe Buck and Tim McCarver for their atrocious calling of the 2005 World Series.

They hated the White Sox and  it clearly showed.

It was all love and kisses when the Cubs made it.

Edited by GradMc

10 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Whatever you thought of these old school announcers at least they had enough of a personality to react to.

Elson, Brickhouse. Caray, Piersall. Hawk, Funk, Gowdy.  Keith Jackson, Cosell, Scully, Albert, Enberg were the voices behind some of the most memorable moments of my life.

That said I will never forgive Joe Buck and Tim McCarver for their atrocious calling of the 2005 World Series.

They hated the White Sox and  it clearly showed.

It was all love and kisses when the Cubs made it.

McCarver:  “How do these things happen?  Unbelievable.” (Podesdnik’s walkoff HR)

Don’t forget the ALDS with Chris Bergman that year...

”OHHH... he gets him to go.” (El Duque striking out the side and finishing with Johnny Damon with the bases loaded)

“The Red Sox dream to repeat is over...” (White Sox sweep Red Sox)