Strasburg officially opts out

bmags

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

Having opted out of his 4 year, $100 Million contract with the Nats, and given all of the other big market teams looking for pitching, what do you think it would take to sign him? Whatever that number is, it would almost certainly be something way out of character, for Mr. Reinsdorf, especially for a 32 year old pitcher. Nevertheless, we can dream. 

6 for 180 seems about right.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The $30 Million AAV sounds about right, but that 6TH year would be a tough pill to swallow. That would be for his age 37 season. 5 years, $150 Million would be pretty intriguing. 

I'm pretty sure the top offer to Strasburg is going to be for 5 years in the $150-165M range. 

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Strasburg and it's not even close.  Who would choose Wheeler? 

Someone who thinks Wheeler is just taking off as a dominant pitcher and wants to save $10M per year for a guy who has 700 fewer innings on his arm. 

I’m not saying I’d prefer Wheeler, but I don’t think it’s a crazy question. 

Edited by SoxBlanco

They're planting that out there to pressure Wheeler to close the deal.

Knowing JR isn't gonna fork out 180-200m for a pitcher already in his 30s, the agent will call our bluff and say sure please explore strasburg all you like. We are gonna wait for the Twins offer and if you want to "move on" to Ryu, Bumgarner etc. you can if you like. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

4 minutes ago, black jack said:

One thing last offseason taught me:

Put a time limit on your contract offers.

Give Wheeler a week to decide, then move on to your option number two before you miss out. 

The problem with that, as I have noted above, is that the agent can easily call the Sox bluff on that. Wheeler is a more attractive option than Ryu (injuries, age, Boras) and Bumgarner (profiles poorly in GRF, mileage) and agents know we aren't gonna cut off our nose to spite our face. Wheeler has the leverage to force the Sox to both keep bidding against themselves and to wait as well. They know we aren't gonna shell out money for the top two choices and they know there's a sizeable gap between 3 and 4/5 and they know the fanbase is ready to tear into the club for losing out on Wheeler because of Abreu's foolhardy extension.

Wheeler's agent has Hahn's sensitive parts in a blender with his index finger on the start button. They are gonna squeeze out every dollar. 

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wheeler. Especially after the mileage on Stras this year. Wouldnt be shocked if he struggled a bit next year.

100%. This is the first year he pitched over 200 innings since 2014, and that was his only other time doing so. He pitched 245 innings this year. I don't like his mileage and injury history, especially coming off a year where he pitched his most innings ever, by far. 

Give me Wheeler over Strasburg. Gives flexibility to sign others. Strasburg blowing his arm out at 30m AAV is more devastating than Wheeler being a #4 pitcher at 20m a year. I think those are both plausible, bad scenarios for each pitcher. Obviously Wheeler could get hurt, but I think Strasburg is more injury prone. 

Edited by ron883

27 minutes ago, black jack said:

One thing last offseason taught me:

Put a time limit on your contract offers.

Give Wheeler a week to decide, then move on to your option number two before you miss out. 

That's good for the fans, but not for the organization. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

100%. This is the first year he pitcher over 200 innings since 2014, and that was his only other time doing so. He pitcher 245 innings this year. I don't like his mileage and injury history, especially coming off a year where he pitched his most innings ever, by far. 

Give me Wheeler over Strasburg. Gives flexibility to sign others. Strasburg blowing his arm out at 30m AAV is more devastating than Wheeler being a #4 pitcher at 20m a year. I think those are both worse case scenarios for each pitcher. Obviously Wheeler could get hurt, but I think Strasburg is more injury prone. 

These high inning post seasons historically have had a pretty significant impact on starters the following year - not everyone has been a victim of it, but enough have been to be concerned. Especially given his history.