Strasburg officially opts out

bmags

5 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Realistically he gets 5/150 or 6/170...are Sox Willing to pay that?

Do you really think that he would accept offers like that? Jeff Passan is suggesting that he will be looking for a minimum of 6 years and $175 Million. If it took 6 years and $180 Million, that might be intriguing, especially if it were front loaded, with an opt out. I wonder if there are really 2 teams, willing to spend as much money on an arm, as will likely be required to sign both of the top free agent pitchers. The fact that Cole will likely get insane money, from his home state Angels, or Dodgers, might help make it feasible to get Strasburg, unless there is another team in the running, at these astronomical rates. I don't want to get my hopes up, and both may land on the West Coast. Nevertheless, it just might be a good thing that there are two elite arms, in this free agent class.

Strasburg being 32 in July and giving him 6 years would scare me. He has missed 5-10 starts 5 of his 8 years pitching. 

I’d be trying to poach someone from the Astros pitching department to run my pitching development department is what I’d be doing as well as their analytical department. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d go 6/210 to stras, 8/260-275 for Cole.

Would you want to front load the contracts, and what kind of opt out would you grant?

Which teams would be the biggest competition and how much do you think that they would offer?

Which of the two, would you prefer, given the contracts, which you propose?

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, wsox05 said:

Strasburg being 32 in July and giving him 6 years would scare me. He has missed 5-10 starts 5 of his 8 years pitching. 

I’d be trying to poach someone from the Astros pitching department to run my pitching development department is what I’d be doing as well as their analytical department. 

I'm a little shocked to hear that he's already 32.

That being said, I'd hesitantly go 5/160 for him. 

Bring in Bumgarner 5/130 too. 

Edited by black jack

13 hours ago, ron883 said:

Welcome to the White Sox, Mr. Strasburg. You will enjoy pitching with Mr. Giolito and Mr. Cole.

I was at a SABR meeting yesterday and the Sox beat writer from the Tribune was there. He expects the Sox to be active this off-season, but he ruled out the team getting Strasburg or Cole.  Although he had expected Strasberg to remain in Washington. I would be surprised if the Sox got either of these pitchers. It would be great, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wsox05 said:

Why not from Tampa? They have developed a lot of pitching and they probably don't pay their FO big bucks.  

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I’d go 6/210 to stras, 8/260-275 for Cole.

Glad you are not a GM....holy crap those are awful contracts. Strasburg will be 32 next season, if he gets over 170 million on any contract it just isn't worth the cost. 8 year pitching contract is ludicrous

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Glad you are not a GM....holy crap those are awful contracts. Strasburg will be 32 next season, if he gets over 170 million on any contract it just isn't worth the cost. 8 year pitching contract is ludicrous

Zach Greinke signed a 6 year/206 mill contract for his age 32 season. He pitched well for that team, and they were even able to trade him for some decent prospects.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Zach Greinke signed a 6 year/206 mill contract for his age 32 season. He pitched well for that team, and they were even able to trade him for some decent prospects.

He was also one of the most durable starters in baseball for the eight years proceeding his contract, averaging 31.5 starts a season.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to add Strasburg, but I’m not sure Greinke is a great comp given his rare health record.

Greinke has steadily been adjusting to pitching without his best fastball for the past 3-5 years.

His breaking stuff more than compensates.

There’s just zero guarantee that Strasburg could make the same type of adjustment to losing stuff or having a second TJ surgery.

Greinke’s also a great defender, athlete and solid hitter...he’s figured out how to make it work for him.

You put all that money into one of those guys and the entire rebuild is at risk if it goes south...even with insurance payments.  Wheeler is three years younger and is going to get roughly half of Strasburg’s deal.   You can at least survive that hit...but it might take Moncada or Giolito extensions off the table.

Edited by caulfield12