Yolmer wins a GG

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I was gonna say the same thing. Ironically, winning makes his non-tender way more likely. 

Sanchez is a useful guy.  I would like to see RH work his magic with a three year extension between 12 & 15 million.  That contract would make Sanchez a useful guy until Madrigal gets his feet wet.  He would be a good trade chip at those numbers as well.

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Sanchez is a useful guy.  I would like to see RH work his magic with a three year extension between 12 & 15 million.  That contract would make Sanchez a useful guy until Madrigal gets his feet wet.  He would be a good trade chip at those numbers as well.

My god no.  Why are we spending that much money on a backup infielder when the guys in front of him are Yoan, Timmy, & Madrigal?  His defense will be vastly underutilized.  And no one goes from non-tender to “good trade chip” when you slice $1-2M off their annual salary and then lock in three years.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe they can trade him for something.  He did deserve the GG which in itself is pretty amazing the way he started out, and we know he can also play 3rd , and if he has to, SS. 

His arbitration number and his WAR aren't really out of whack, and plenty of teams can use his glove and Gatorade antics.

His 1.0 fWAR is tied to getting ~550 plate appearances.  As a bench player let’s say he gets half of that and you don’t pay 1 win players the same $/WAR as you do an average to above average everyday starter.  The reality is he should make like $2.5M to $3M at his current offensive production.

Also, for reference, Eduardo Escobar got 3/$21M coming off a 30 HR season  and then went out and repeated it this year. Yolmer being a complete black hole power wise makes him incredibly unattractive in the juiced ball era no matter how good his defense is.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His 1.0 fWAR is tied to getting ~550 plate appearances.  As a bench player let’s say he gets half of that and you don’t pay 1 win players the same $/WAR as you do an average to above average everyday starter.  The reality is he should make like $2.5M to $3M at his current offensive production.

Also, for reference, Eduardo Escobar got 3/$21M coming off a 30 HR season  and then went out and repeated it this year. Yolmer being a complete black hole power wise makes him incredibly unattractive in the juiced ball era no matter how good his defense is.

But he has been better offensively in the past. For the White Sox, he doesn't make sense because the other guys have to play. But it's not crazy to think he is capable of a 2+ WAR. He has done it before.  He will make less than Yonder Alonso whose WAR has been pretty low most of his career. At the very least, you know Yolmer won't be totally useless because of his glove, something you can't say about many players in hi prie range. 

I am not saying it would be a well thought of prospect. Someone like a Cordell. Or Burr. A guy who probably sucks but you never know.   The Sox are due for one of these types working out.