Angels decline $14 million option on Kole Calhoun

steveno89

Calhoun bats left handed, plays solid RF defense, has power and could be signed reasonably. Makes a ton of sense as a one to two year stopgap?

On the downside he is prone to long slumps and has never really posted strong a strong OPS. One year deal might be mutually beneficial with a club option for 2021?

He is not the sexy option, but would allow us to plug him in RF and spread money around to fill other needs. 

Edited by steveno89

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Zero interest in Calhoun.  This is a white sox 2012-2016 move.   "Hey!  It's a name!  Remember this guy?  He hits for power and hits lefty and just ignore everything else please thanks"

Good thing we've changed the GM and President of Baseball Operations since 2016.

Anyway, I think this one is pretty likely, and I would use it in my ideal offseason - because I'd go for one of the 2 big pitching acquisitions as the biggest guy I could add, and would still need RF help. 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Zero interest in Calhoun.  This is a white sox 2012-2016 move.   "Hey!  It's a name!  Remember this guy?  He hits for power and hits lefty and just ignore everything else please thanks"

The FA outfield market is pretty thin, especially for true Right field. Puig/Castellanos/Calhoun? Ozuna does not play RF really. 

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He’s my pick for player most likely to sign with Sox and forget how to play baseball

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Good thing we've changed the GM and President of Baseball Operations since 2016.

Anyway, I think this one is pretty likely, and I would use it in my ideal offseason - because I'd go for one of the 2 big pitching acquisitions as the biggest guy I could add, and would still need RF help. 

Sign one of the two top pitching prospects and Grandal...I would be fine with Calhoun

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

The FA outfield market is pretty thin, especially for true Right field. Puig/Castellanos/Calhoun? Ozuna does not play RF really. 

If I had to pick from the choices here I would most certainly choose Castellanos

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Certainly leaning that way.

With a trade, what value does Yolmer have? I'm not sure how his contract situation works with a trade - would we have to tender him a contract first before we trade him, or can we trade him first and let the other team pay the arb price? Does he even have value as a trade piece (not as a headliner but a sweetener)?