Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

5 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Color me shocked when he goes into the market and only gets offer 3/38 and comes back to the Sox and takes the QO.

He has ten days.  No one is offering him 3/38M in the next ten days.  I think the most likely scenario is Jose accepts the QO, but I kind of hope he rejects it, goes to the market, doesn't get anywhere near what he wants, and then pretty much has to come back to the Sox for a nice cheap deal because no one else will sign him. 

6 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

The worst that happens is he takes the QO, has a monster year and because he no longer has a QO attached and was pissed , he leaves.  I'll take a monster year.

The worst that can happen is he takes the QO and turns into 2003 Paul Konerko... and ol Ricky refuses to take him out of the 3 hole.

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles
typos

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

The worst that can happen is he takes the QO and turns into 2003 Paul Konerko... and ol Ricky refuses to take him out of the 3 hole.

Then he's gone next year. Him taking the QO is much better than getting some gift deal from the Sox.

Just now, mqr said:

Then he's gone next year. Him taking the QO is much better than getting some gift deal from the Sox.

Yes, worst case scenario would be him signing a 2 year deal and then being 2014 paul konerko next year.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Huh? If he got 3/38 hed be a moron to turn that down for 1 year 18 million.

3/38 is a realistic offer to a team in need of a thumper and on a budget IMO.  It's in the ballpark of what I thought we might offer him.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

3/38 is a realistic offer to a team in need of a thumper and on a budget IMO.  It's in the ballpark of what I thought we might offer him.

We might still offer him that, but it's way too much for a guy who should be at DH in a saturated market.

43 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is honestly ideal. I'm VERY happy they didn't do some emotionally stupid shit.

Agree with you here. Abreu would be wise to accept the qualifying offer, and the Sox are smart to not get involved in multi year nonsense for him. 

I doubt another club would be willing to sign him with a QO attached now as well. 

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Hell no to giving him three guaranteed years. I think the QO tells you all you need to know about the Sox desires. 

I hope he sees this as an insult and leaves. I'm sick of the Sox cheapness. Maybe he can go win a WS with somebody else. Many of you will get your wish and we'll all be happy.

One year? I'm happy he gets 18 million clams but as a Jose fan I want him to get his three years. I'm OK with him leaving. I'm about over this mess called the Sox. I got my one title in 05. Maybe some like Ron will get their wish and get a defensive whiz at first, somebody like Gail Hopkins who can save some runs.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hope he sees this as an insult and leaves. I'm sick of the Sox cheapness. Maybe he can go win a WS with somebody else. Many of you will get your wish and we'll all be happy.

One year? I'm happy he gets 18 million clams but as a Jose fan I want him to get his three years. I'm OK with him leaving. I'm about over this mess called the Sox. I got my one title in 05. Maybe some like Ron will get their wish and get a defensive whiz at first, somebody like Gail Hopkins who can save some runs.

You are a fan of a few players who are on the sox or who have played on the sox.  You are barely a fan of the team.  At least we know where you stand.  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

This also could theoretically allow the Sox to say, "OK, Jose.  We love you man.  But you're not worth $15M AAV over 3-4 years.  Go ahead and test the market, but we'll be here if it  doesn't work out."  And then in a couple months get him to re-sign closer to the 2/$25M deal we were projecting before his hot end to the season.  No one is going to sign Jose Abreu to a multi-year deal and lose a draft pick. 

What about 3 yrs at $45?  No draft pick then.

What if Yankees offer him a deal?  Would he take it?

7 minutes ago, oldsox said:

What about 3 yrs at $45?  No draft pick then.

What if Yankees offer him a deal?  Would he take it?

Huh? If anyone offered him 3/$45M obviously he’s take it. This deal and the fact that he hasn’t already signed as extension makes it pretty clear Sox have no interest in 3/$45M, and that is a good thing. 

Remember when I said the Sox would offer Jose the QO for him to take or leave, and you all called me "crazy", "wrong", and "biased"? Two to three year deal they all said.

THAT'S RIGHT SOXTALK. Ron is correct again. Suck it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I don't need a defensive wiz at 1st base, just a guy who isn't an absolute SIEVE at 1st. The only thing that penetrates Jose more often than baseballs at 1st base is nicotine through the lining of his gums

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Remember when I said the Sox would offer Jose the QO for him to take or leave, and you all called me "crazy", "wrong", and "biased"? Two to three year deal they all said.

THAT'S RIGHT SOXTALK. Ron is correct again. Suck it. 

I believe you said he would decline it and Sox would get a draft pick...that part isn't happening.

So WRONG. 

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I believe you said he would decline it and Sox would get a draft pick...that part isn't happening.

So WRONG. 

18 hours ago, ron883 said:

We can just offer Jose the QO. It'll be what, 18mil? He declines the QO and he won't get ANY good offer due to the loss of a pick attached to him. He wouldn't get 2/30mil, unless  he waits it out like Kimbrel and Keuchel. Overpaying for only 1 year isn't that bad with Jose. Hamstring him with the QO.

You were saying?

• Haha 1

Interesting turn of events.  So much for the "mutual admiration"  that both sides had for each other.  He files for arbitration and the Sox make him a QO.

Did the Sox piss him off by trying a low-ball 2-3 year deal?  Or do they want him for no more than a year because they think Vaughn will be ready by then?