Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

54 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he turns down a QO this year, and winds up settling for less, yes. It was a new thing a couple of years ago. O he gets a pass on Moose the first time although it was poor representation. Boras isn’t good for every player. There are quite a few that hav been stung by him. But if you are a stud he will get you your money.

Agree with you in regards to your last point.

The only agent who should have his license stripped is ozzie albies agent. The Braves should be embarrassed for working with him to take advantage of ozzie.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If he turns down a QO this year, and winds up settling for less, yes. It was a new thing a couple of years ago. O he gets a pass on Moose the first time although it was poor representation. Boras isn’t good for every player. There are quite a few that hav been stung by him. But if you are a stud he will get you your money.

I wonder why Dallas Keuchel retained his services for this next go around in free agency?  Boras certainly did not do him any favors last year.  Like you indicated, Boras will make sure the cream of the crop (Cole, Stras, Rendon) get paid.  Another agent might be a better option for the lesser free agents. 

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

I wonder why Dallas Keuchel retained his services for this next go around in free agency?  Boras certainly did not do him any favors last year.  Like you indicated, Boras will make sure the cream of the crop (Cole, Stras, Rendon) get paid.  Another agent might be a better option for the lesser free agents. 

I'd be nervous to give Keuchel anything beyond two years and $30 million or so with a club option for a third year. Questionable peripherals and declining velocity concern me as anything more than a backend starter. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'd be nervous to give Keuchel anything beyond two years and $30 million or so with a club option for a third year. Questionable peripherals and declining velocity concern me as anything more than a backend starter. 

I totally agree with all you said but I would not be upset with him as one of the starting pitchers signed by the Sox this off season.  If he is the only one signed....not so much.

Generally, the White Sox should be maximizing their window through 1-4 year players...supplementing with FA.

Signing Abreu to a multiyear deal with Vaughn waiting in the wings...there better be an agreement for him to move to DH full-time in 2021.

Being wrong on their evaluation of Vaughn OR having a DH hitting the skids due to a predictable aging decline in 2021 would be...well, let’s just wait and see what Hahn says if they do go 2-3 years.

I would think they would prioritize winning in 2021 over satisfying their desire to “honor/appreciate” Jose Abreu’s contributions.

If not, they’re not in the business of winning championships.

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they're betting that Abreu declines the QO. It would be incredibly stupid for him to do so, but whatever either way. 

Jose will not decline the QO.  He will probably take the security and negotiate for 2 years at 14 per year.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

By definition signing a contact that is not the qualifying offer is rejecting the QO. 

He will accept the QO and continue to negotiate.  I expect a 2 year contract for 14 per as I suggest.  Just because you accept the QO doesn't mean you are through talking...as I'm sure you know.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

He will accept the QO and continue to negotiate.  I expect a 2 year contract for 14 per as I suggest.  Just because you accept the QO doesn't mean you are through talking...as I'm sure you know.

If he accepts the Qualifying offer he receives a 1 year, $18 million deal. There is no reason for either side to continue negotiating, that's a contract offer. 

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he accepts the Qualifying offer he receives a 1 year, $18 million deal. There is no reason for either side to continue negotiating, that's a contract offer. 

While it is not going to happen (but theoretically possible), I think he's basically saying Abreu takes the QO, then the Sox and Abreu rip up the one year deal later in the offseason and he signs a 2 year $30M extension.  

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While it is not going to happen (but theoretically possible), I think he's basically saying Abreu takes the QO, then the Sox and Abreu rip up the one year deal later in the offseason and he signs a 2 year $30M extension.  

That’s dumb to MAYBE save $6ish million (over two years) when the odds are pretty darned high you wouldn’t want to be paying a 34 year old DH another $15 million in 2021.

It seems we’re more concerned with keeping guys like Konerko and Abreu happy than anything else.  It’s bizarre.

What non-competitive teams are doing something similar?   The M’s with Ichiro give him that kind of treatment at this stage of his career, even.  Or the Sox with Buerhle.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like you said, it's "not going to happen." Thank you for your agreement. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do not think the Sox want to go multi year with Abreu, nor should they. I truly feel they want to go in a different direction, likely Vaughn, unless Abreu rakes in 2020. Why tie up $15 million you very well may want to allocate elsewhere in 2021? 

17 hours ago, wegner said:

I recall reading somewhere Boras had a multiyear offer he thought Keuchel should take.  Keuchel refused it as it wasn't enough money and it seems he burned himself.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I recall reading somewhere Boras had a multiyear offer he thought Keuchel should take.  Keuchel refused it as it wasn't enough money and it seems he burned himself.

Guy gets 1 Cy Young award and it goes to his head ^_^

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

when the odds are pretty darned high you wouldn’t want to be paying a 34 year old DH another $15 million in 2021.

It seems we’re more concerned with keeping guys like Konerko and Abreu happy than anything else.  It’s bizarre.

All the money the Sox have given to stiffs the past few years like Jay and Alonso and you are worried about a few bucks here and there? As low as the Sox payroll has been for Jerry, why not give a fan favorite like Jose some well deserved cash? The guy led the AL in RBIs and hit 33 bombs and we act like he's going to need a wheelchair to get to the plate in 2 seasons.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

All the money the Sox have given to stiffs the past few years like Jay and Alonso and you are worried about a few bucks here and there? As low as the Sox payroll has been for Jerry, why not give a fan favorite like Jose some well deserved cash? The guy led the AL in RBIs and hit 33 bombs and we act like he's going to need a wheelchair to get to the plate in 2 seasons.

Because he doesn't deserve it you Oof.