Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

I know it's Bruce Levine, but he said on the score this morning its going to be 3/45 as soon as this week.  He was stating it as something he knows, not just a guess.  What worries me is I can't see any benefit to this being a "Jerry's mouthpiece" type thing. 

They're going to screw this up, aren't they ... .?

24 minutes ago, RTC said:

I know it's Bruce Levine, but he said on the score this morning its going to be 3/45 as soon as this week.  He was stating it as something he knows, not just a guess.  What worries me is I can't see any benefit to this being a "Jerry's mouthpiece" type thing. 

3rd year has to be a team option. That also solidifies him as our DH for the future. Sox really need another lefty hitter. 

24 minutes ago, RTC said:

3/$45 would be pretty bad. I cannot understand why the Sox would prefer that to 1/$17.8M. $3/35M or less, and you’re basically getting him for two extra seasons at $8.6M each as compared to him just taking the QO. I guess could see the value there, though would still prefer 2 years.

All that being said Levine doesn’t know anything, and if the Sox were offering 3/$45M, the deal would have been signed months ago. They now have more leverage than ever, and they’re just now offering that? Doesn’t add up. 

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

3/$45 would be pretty bad. I cannot understand why the Sox would prefer that to 1/$17.8M. $3/35M or less, and you’re basically getting him for two extra seasons at $8.6M each as compared to him just taking the QO. I guess could see the value there, though would still prefer 2 years.

All that being said Levine doesn’t know anything, and if the Sox were offering 3/$45M, the deal would have been signed months ago. They now have more leverage than ever, and they’re just now offering that? Doesn’t add up. 

I will say this.  If giving Abreu three years is the cost to indirectly get Moncada to agree to a pre-FA extension then it’s simply the price of doing business.  If that’s not a consideration then this is just straight up dumb.  I love José and would be fine with him back on a 2/$28M deal (like MLBTR predicted), but otherwise I’d force him to accept the QO and see where things stand next year.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this.  If giving Abreu three years is the cost to indirectly get Moncada to agree to a pre-FA extension then it’s simply the price of doing business.  If that’s not a consideration then this is just straight up dumb.  I love José and would be fine with him back on a 2/$28M deal (like MLBTR predicted), but otherwise I’d force him to accept the QO and see where things stand next year.

Why would Abreu’s contract have anything to do with a potential Moncada extension? Abreu wouldn’t be on the team by the end of a hypothetical Moncada extension anyway so I don’t really see the correlation here.

17 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would Abreu’s contract have anything to do with a potential Moncada extension? Abreu wouldn’t be on the team by the end of a hypothetical Moncada extension anyway so I don’t really see the correlation here.

First off, there is no guarantee when Jose will retire.  He’s 32 years old and could theoretically play another five years (whether with us or not) and that would go beyond Yoan’s team control. Regardless, Moncada might not want to commit to an organization that say’s they love his mentor but then refuse to commit to him beyond a QO.  My point is keeping José happy may be a way to keep Moncada happy.  I would say with the utmost confidence that José leaving this offseason would be upsetting to Yoan, so it’s not that outlandish to think his future with the team could impact Moncada’s willingness to stick around.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

First off, there is no guarantee when Jose will retire.  He’s 32 years old and could theoretically play another five years (whether with us or not) and that would go beyond Yoan’s team control. Regardless, Moncada might not want to commit to an organization that say’s they love his mentor but then refuse to commit to him beyond a QO.  My point is keeping José happy may be a way to keep Moncada happy.  I would say with the utmost confidence that José leaving this offseason would be upsetting to Yoan, so it’s not that outlandish to think his future with the team could impact Moncada’s willingness to stick around.

I predict that no matter what is done...half the board will be upset with RH.

2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

3/45 is awful in terms of years and money.  How fucking stupid that would be to paint yourself in a corner and be stuck at DH with 34 and 35 year old Jose Abreu. 

I swear, I just wish people would wait to see decline rather than predict decline for players because of age. There are guys 35 years old raking in MLB still in baseball's postseason for instance. It's like Jose is 50 and something and we're offering him a mercy contract if we give him the 3 years greg thinks he deserves.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I swear, I just wish people would wait to see decline rather than predict decline for players because of age. There are guys 35 years old raking in MLB still in baseball's postseason for instance. It's like Jose is 50 and something and we're offering him a mercy contract if we give him the 3 years greg thinks he deserves.

This is a losing strategy. This is a losers mentality. Signing Jose 3 years is stupid. We can get him for 1 year. No reason to go any further than that. 

40 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is a losing strategy. This is a losers mentality. Signing Jose 3 years is stupid. We can get him for 1 year. No reason to go any further than that. 

Some of you guys are starting to worry about payroll again which is silly since Jerry has saved so much cash during the tank.

48 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Some of you guys are starting to worry about payroll again which is silly since Jerry has saved so much cash during the tank.

Yeah because it's finite, along with roster spots.  DH is also a position we could add a LH bat to since this lineup has no balance at all. Or a position we could add somebody that is going to have higher than a .330 OBP.

I didn’t see this posted anywhere, but it’s from a Bruce article from yesterday:

https://670thescore.radio.com/jose-abreu-important-free-agent-white-sox

Abreu will likely turn down the qualifying offer, as most players do. Abreu's camp is seeking a three-year deal that could net him $50 million, according to industry sources.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I'm sure that if Abreu rakes for the next 3 years they will be first to point out they were wrong.😉

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t see this posted anywhere, but it’s from a Bruce article from yesterday:

No team is giving him that along with losing a draft pick. Feel like hes definitely going to be back with the Sox, whether that is for 1 or 2 years.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t blame him for asking. But clearly Sox aren’t agreeing. 

this could be the best case scenario, honestly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That makes sense. A Moncada extension should be one of the top priorities this offseason...even if they can only get one more year out of him. 

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That makes sense. A Moncada extension should be one of the top priorities this offseason...even if they can only get one more year out of him. 

Definitely.  If we can buy out one year of him & Giolito, that gives a strong four year window from 2021 to 2024 plus an outside shot next year with the right moves.

Let’s just sign Jose to a three-year contract already at $45M, $50M, whatever the hell it turns out to be, have a little love fest with the guy to start the offseason off on a positive note, and move on.  

Neither the length of, nor the money in, this contract is going to cripple this team in any way, shape, or form in either the near or long term future.  Period.  

He’ll transition to DH at that time when appropriate, and that will be that.  The clubhouse maintains its leader, and the organization keeps the face of the franchise.  Win win all the way around.  

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Let’s just sign Jose to a three-year contract already at $45M, $50M, whatever the hell it turns out to be, have a little love fest with the guy to start the offseason off on a positive note, and move on.  

Neither the length of, nor the money in, this contract is going to cripple this team in any way, shape, or form in either the near or long term future.  Period.  

He’ll transition to DH at that time when appropriate, and that will be that.  The clubhouse maintains its leader, and the organization keeps the face of the franchise.  Win win all the way around.  

I mean, if his bats fall off a bit, that third year is going to be pretty painful.  $15M is quite a bit of flexibility down the drain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

I agree it won’t cripple the franchise. But why pay the guy 3/$45M when his market value is 1/$15M max and you already basically have 1/$17.8M in hand. 

I don’t mind Jose sticking around. We need above average bats and he is that. 2/$28-30M seems fair for both sides if he really wants to go beyond 1 year. I just feel like a deal similar to that has probably been on the table for some time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1