Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

11 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Let’s just sign Jose to a three-year contract already at $45M, $50M, whatever the hell it turns out to be, have a little love fest with the guy to start the offseason off on a positive note, and move on.  

Neither the length of, nor the money in, this contract is going to cripple this team in any way, shape, or form in either the near or long term future.  Period.  

He’ll transition to DH at that time when appropriate, and that will be that.  The clubhouse maintains its leader, and the organization keeps the face of the franchise.  Win win all the way around.  

🤡

On 11/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, Soxfest said:

See ya Jose that’s way too much 

White Sox should want no part of a 3/50 million reported deal that Jose is seeking. This is the modern MLB, not fifteen years ago where a deal like that would regularly happen. 

Sox tactically cratered Abreu's market with the qualifying offer, and would be smart to sit back and wait. No other club is going to give up the compensation and offer enough years and dollars that the Sox would not match if needed. 

Ideally we go year to year with Abreu moving forward. Anything beyond 2/30 would be a mistake. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, if his bats fall off a bit, that third year is going to be pretty painful.  $15M is quite a bit of flexibility down the drain.

Yup.  That is Ivan Nova and Jon Jay right there.  

I would say though, that if he is saying he is seeking 3/50, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable starting point for his camp to say they are seeking.  

Edited by turnin' two

25 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

White Sox should want no part of a 3/50 million reported deal that Jose is seeking. This is the modern MLB, not fifteen years ago where a deal like that would regularly happen. 

Sox tactically cratered Abreu's market with the qualifying offer, and would be smart to sit back and wait. No other club is going to give up the compensation and offer enough years and dollars that the Sox would not match if needed. 

Ideally we go year to year with Abreu moving forward. Anything beyond 2/30 would be a mistake. 

Yep.  0 reason to give him mutliple years.

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Exactly. No team will give him a multi-year deal along with losing a draft pick. He'll be back.

He'll be back, and it's going to happen soon.  He'll be back either with a 2 year contract with an option, or maybe even a 3 year deal, one or the other.  That should be pretty obvious by now based on what we've seen hinted at and signaled by both sides.  

Meanwhile, Jose will be our version of Washingon's Ryan Zimmerman as the long-time face of the franchise when the team makes it back to the World Series at some point in our competitive window.   

Sox continue to play this situation beautifully.  Patience is the key here.  Eventually Abreu will be back, and if he is dumb enough (mean that in the nicest way possible) to reject the QO, it will be at an AAV significantly less than the $17.8M he is guaranteed for 2020.  

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox continue to play this situation beautifully.  Patience is the key here.  Eventually Abreu will be back, and if he is dumb enough (mean that in the nicest way possible) to reject the QO, it will be at an AAV significantly less than the $17.8M he is guaranteed for 2020.  

Abreu wants a multi-year deal, and the Sox will most likely offer him a 2+ year deal.  I don't think the AAV will be significantly less...maybe $14-$15 million.  I would expect the years are more important to him.

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Abreu wants a multi-year deal, and the Sox will most likely offer him a 2+ year deal.  I don't think the AAV will be significantly less...maybe $14-$15 million.  I would expect the years are more important to him.

If the Sox were going to offer him a 2+ year deal that was acceptable to Abreu, they would have already offered it and he would have resigned. There is mutual interest on both sides.

The mere fact that the Sox got to the point to where they extended the QO proves that there is a significant gap between Abreu's wants and what the Sox are offering.  

So while I don't necessarily disagree that he'll be back on 2 year deal is the $30M range, if that deal is on the table, clearly Abreu sees it as unacceptable at this juncture.  Furthermore, I don't see the Sox suddenly increasing their offer substantially at this point - they now have all the leverage.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would Abreu want to go to the Marlins? They aren't winning anything any time soon. Only thing I can think of is that their offer is a lot better than the Sox.

Doesn't he live in Florida? Cubans love the heat (not saying that has a big influence on him or anything).

Edited by SoxAce

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Doesn't he live in Florida? Cubans love the heat (not saying that has a big influence on him or anything).

I mean there are also a lot of Cubans in Miami, culturally he'd probably be able to live in a place a lot similar. I am not surprised that he would be interested, he probably lives there in the offseason anyway.