Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That answers the question, "Why would the Marlins want to sign Abreu?"...but it doesn't seem to answer the question, "Why would Abreu want to go to the Marlins?"

I'm pretty sure he lives in Miami. And there are a ton of Cubans there, but he wants to be and will be a White Sox.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm pretty sure he lives in Miami. And there are a ton of Cubans there, but he wants to be and will be a White Sox.

Agreed.  I didn't ask the original question.  I was just pointing out that the reply "because their payroll is 20 million dollars" was not an answer to the question asked by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES.

18 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That answers the question, "Why would the Marlins want to sign Abreu?"...but it doesn't seem to answer the question, "Why would Abreu want to go to the Marlins?"

I did answer it.  They have zero payroll and need to spend money.  They simply can offer him more money than the Sox would be comfortable with.

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would Abreu want to go to the Marlins? They aren't winning anything any time soon. Only thing I can think of is that their offer is a lot better than the Sox.

I am guessing this is nothing more than posturing to get Uncle Jerry to take him seriously. I mean, remember PK spending a weekend in Anaheim to get Uncle Jerry to take him seriously, too... That deal got done.

9 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I did answer it.  They have zero payroll and need to spend money.  They simply can offer him more money than the Sox would be comfortable with.

They certainly could in a Hosmer sort of way.
Until the last couple of months, I didn't think that the Sox really wanted to sign Abreu long-term at all. Some of the statements (mostly media rumors) have made me second guess that.  But I think the Sox absolutely have a limit on their Abreu investment.  Hahn basically said today that he either takes the QO or he doesn't not terribly bothered either way, and not a real sense of urgency to get a longer term deal done.

Edited by GreenSox

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

They certainly could in a Hosmer sort of way.
Until the last couple of months, I didn't think that the Sox really wanted to sign Abreu long-term at all. Some of the statements (mostly media rumors) have made me second guess that.  But I think the Sox absolutely have a limit on their Abreu investment.  Hahn basically said today that he either takes the QO or he doesn't not terribly bothered either way, and not a real sense of urgency to get a longer term deal done.

Abreu would be wise to take the QO today. He will not get the multi year deal he is seeking from another club with draft compensation attached.

Sox are smart to not pay anywhere close to retail for an aging 1B

5 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

2/25 with a 3rd year option for $13M makes too much sense for both sides. 3/38 is where I had him pegged before FA started.

He’ll get at least the QO amount. Maybe he just says Yes today, and they continue to talk about a 2-3 yr deal. 2 yrs for 36 would be what I would expect from the Sox.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox were going to offer him a 2+ year deal that was acceptable to Abreu, they would have already offered it and he would have resigned. There is mutual interest on both sides.

The mere fact that the Sox got to the point to where they extended the QO proves that there is a significant gap between Abreu's wants and what the Sox are offering.  

So while I don't necessarily disagree that he'll be back on 2 year deal is the $30M range, if that deal is on the table, clearly Abreu sees it as unacceptable at this juncture.  Furthermore, I don't see the Sox suddenly increasing their offer substantially at this point - they now have all the leverage.  

I think your first two paragraphs are perceptive. I can read how this is going. Jose is going to eventually cut emotional ties with the Sox. Obviously he wants between 15 and 18 million for three years or who knows, maybe four or five? If the Sox can't even go three years, 15 mill a year (which I believe is probably his low end of the spectrum knowing athletes' egos nowadays and his vast production on lousy Sox teams) he'll eventually be insulted. You wait, at some point, Jose will get impatient if this doesn't get done.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think your first two paragraphs are perceptive. I can read how this is going. Jose is going to eventually cut emotional ties with the Sox. Obviously he wants between 15 and 18 million for three years or who knows, maybe four or five? If the Sox can't even go three years, 15 mill a year (which I believe is probably his low end of the spectrum knowing athletes' egos nowadays and his vast production on lousy Sox teams) he'll eventually be insulted. You wait, at some point, Jose will get impatient if this doesn't get done.

Jose wants to be with the Sox, and the Sox want him back.  If he gets insulted or impatient, he really doesn't have any other options. His offers from other clubs will be lower than ours.  He will either take the QO, or he will end up signing for something like 2 or 3 years at 12 or 13 million per.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If he rejects the QO I can see some teams offering him a 3 year deal.  3 years does not make any sense to the White Sox.  Even with a QO I can see the Marlins and Rays being interested at the very least.

He is staying with the White Sox one way or another. 

25 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If he rejects the QO I can see some teams offering him a 3 year deal.  3 years does not make any sense to the White Sox.  Even with a QO I can see the Marlins and Rays being interested at the very least.

There is absolutely no way in which I can imagine him signing with the Rays. That would be the most stunning thing of this offseason to me.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

As we mull how productive he can be in the future just want to state that I love Jose and I really hope he gets a playoff game as a white sox.

The narrative will be a very positive one when that happens, as he’ll be lauded for having led the team through the tough times, with that eventual reward of making it to the promised land of postseason play.