Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

2 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

The narrative will be a very positive one when that happens, as he’ll be lauded for having led the team through the tough times, with that eventual reward of making it to the promised land of postseason play.

Yeah. I think we often put ourselves in management's shoes as we constantly want to stay competitive. But Jose has been a damn champ. I think his GW Grand Slam against the rays in 14 was one of my fav white sox memories.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If he's really "mulling that over" I'm not sure who's dumber Hahn or Jose.

I mean, I think its worth mulling over in Jose's case, and $35M should be the max.  Also note that no other QO recipient has actually officially rejected yet, either.   

At 3/$35M, Jose is effective agreeing to a 2 year extension at $17.2M ($8.6M per in 21 and 22) in addition to the $17.8M QO.  I don't think its outrageous for him to think he can beat $8.6M AAV in 21 and 22.  If the offer is closer to 3/$30M, then its 2 years $6M per....even more reason for Jose to "mull it over". 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, I think its worth mulling over in Jose's case, and $35M should be the max.  Also note that no other QO recipient has actually officially rejected yet, either.   

At 3/$35M, Jose is effective agreeing to a 2 year extension at $17.2M ($8.6M per in 21 and 22) in addition to the $17.8M QO.  I don't think its outrageous for him to think he can beat $8.6M AAV in 21 and 22.  If the offer is closer to 3/$30M, then its 2 years $6M per....even more reason for Jose to "mull it over". 

I think he's as likely to be on league min in 22 as making 8.6 million.   And there will be a new CBA to worry about.  Hopefully somebody in Jose's camp realizes this.  35 million guaranteed at his age and production level is a NO BRAINER.  Which is why I hope Hahn wasn't dumb enough to offer it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think he's as likely to be on league min in 22 as making 8.6 million.   And there will be a new CBA to worry about.  Hopefully somebody in Jose's camp realizes this.  35 million guaranteed at his age and production level is a NO BRAINER.  Which is why I hope Hahn wasn't dumb enough to offer it.

I mean I agree Sox shouldn't be offering 3/$35M, and that Jose should probably take that if on the table (doubt it is), but I don't think its insane to think Jose could beat a 2 year $17.8M deal next offseason without a QO attached.  He definitely isn't going to be on a minor league deal is 2022 unless he absolutely falls off a cliff.  

I also think there is a point in which the Sox would prefer a multi year deal as compared to the QO.  2/$25M is better than 1/$17.8M.  3/$30M is probably also better than 1/$17.8M.  

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why is a new CBA a threat?  I can only see good things coming out of it for a DH type.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I agree Sox shouldn't be offering 3/$35M, and that Jose should probably take that if on the table (doubt it is), but I don't think its insane to think Jose could beat a 2 year $17.8M deal next offseason without a QO attached.  He definitely isn't going to be on a minor league deal is 2022 unless he absolutely falls off a cliff.  

I also think there is a point in which the Sox would prefer a multi year deal as compared to the QO.  2/$25M is better than 1/$17.8M.  3/$30M is probably also better than 1/$17.8M.  

I'm not handing Abreu a three year guaranty, absolute max of two years and on club terms. 

He should take the qualifying offer, he is unlikely to be happy if he declines it

• Like 1