Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I agree Sox shouldn't be offering 3/$35M, and that Jose should probably take that if on the table (doubt it is), but I don't think its insane to think Jose could beat a 2 year $17.8M deal next offseason without a QO attached.  He definitely isn't going to be on a minor league deal is 2022 unless he absolutely falls off a cliff.  

I also think there is a point in which the Sox would prefer a multi year deal as compared to the QO.  2/$25M is better than 1/$17.8M.  3/$30M is probably also better than 1/$17.8M.  

Any 3 year deal is worse. Barf.

12 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

After Hahn's comments yesterday about Vaughn being a quick mover...Are they going to look for a 1 year stop gap type DH then? Because Jose would HAVE to move to DH in 2021 for Vaughn...right? Not sure I love the idea of 3 year Jose

While it's a limitation, if your organization is insistent that you're keeping Abreu around, then yes you have to plan for your DH position to be filled by a 1 year guy this year, or at least have some flexibility to move your DH to other positions.

I kinda like Moustakas for the second reason; throw him a 1b glove this year, tell him to learn that position and become a true utility guy by next year, give him a 2 year deal and he covers 3b, 2b, 1b, and maybe you could talk him into a corner OF spot, along with DH, and he also fits in by giving some LH balance. There's 500+ PAs available in year 2 for him if we can do that with him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think he's as likely to be on league min in 22 as making 8.6 million.   And there will be a new CBA to worry about.  Hopefully somebody in Jose's camp realizes this.  35 million guaranteed at his age and production level is a NO BRAINER.  Which is why I hope Hahn wasn't dumb enough to offer it.

In your opinion, how much money would be the breaking point where Jose would be better off taking the QO?  Let's assume a 3 year deal, for the sake of discussion.  If the Sox offer 3 years at $30 million, should Jose take that or the QO?  

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I kinda like Moustakas for the second reason; throw him a 1b glove this year, tell him to learn that position and become a true utility guy by next year, give him a 2 year deal and he covers 3b, 2b, 1b, and maybe you could talk him into a corner OF spot, along with DH, and he also fits in by giving some LH balance. There's 500+ PAs available in year 2 for him if we can do that with him.

I can get behind this. He is a good bat if the price is right and ultimately could spell Moncada at third occasionally (or rendon :))

This also is a perfect transition for Madrigal. Hot dang...we need Moose!

23 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Any 3 year deal is worse. Barf.

I mean, I agree any three year deal is barf. But tacking on 2 years and $12M total to the QO isn’t bad. Reduces his 2020 pay from $17.8 to $10M and there is another $8M to spend on other upgrades.

But I agree. 2/$25M would be my offer, but the Levine rumor is 3 years, though anything from him should be taken with a giant salt shaker. 

22 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

In your opinion, how much money would be the breaking point where Jose would be better off taking the QO?  Let's assume a 3 year deal, for the sake of discussion.  If the Sox offer 3 years at $30 million, should Jose take that or the QO?  

He should take anything that guarantees him more than 18 million.

• Haha 1

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Why would he accept anything less than 2/28? He is automatically getting 18M this year, if he performs you don't think he could get a 1 year deal at around 10M for the next year?

There's a non zero chance this is his last contract above league min.  If he tears an oblique in July...

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's a non zero chance this is his last contract above league min.  If he tears an oblique in July...

Your take on this is a bit extreme.  Jose is a lifetime .293/.349/.513 hitter coming off a .284/.330/.503 season and lead the AL in RBIs.

While DH/1B types aren't getting paid like they used to, Jose Abreu will be in the big leagues for several more seasons barring a dramatic drop off.  The chances of him becoming a milb contract guy a year from now are pretty small.  

If I were Jose, I wouldn't accept anything under 2/$30M.  Which clearly he hasn't, which is why we are where we are.  

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Let me ask this: given that FG projected a younger, better 1B/DH for 4 years 56 million why the fuck would anybody project a much older, worse 1B/DH for anything more than 2 years 10 million AAV?

They could be wrong but they are much smarter than I am.

Are you referring to Castellanos?

You're also ignoring the fact that Jose basically has 1/$17.8M in hand.  That obviously changes the calculus for him.  He'd be a moron to turn down 1/$17.8M for anything under $2/25M, IMO.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Are you referring to Castellanos?

You're also ignoring the fact that Jose basically has 1/$17.8M in hand.  That obviously changes the calculus for him.  He'd be a moron to turn down 1/$17.8M for anything under $2/25M, IMO.  

I'm pretty much of that exact mind.  My 20 million was too low.  25 is about right.  

25 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why would he accept anything less than 2/28? He is automatically getting 18M this year, if he performs you don't think he could get a 1 year deal at around 10M for the next year?

The Sox can sit back and wait. If he rejects the QO then the club will move on to other free agents and circle back to Abreu later. I doubt any team would offer substantially more money and years, as well as sacrifice pool money/draft pick to sign Abreu.