Jump to content
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

You are a fan of a few players who are on the sox or who have played on the sox.  You are barely a fan of the team.  At least we know where you stand.  

BS. I've been a fan for so many years it'd make your head spin. Season tickets in the fifth row at old Comiskey for many many years. Access to luxury box at the Cell for many years. Close ties to one of Jerry's most influential (former) partners who has passed away. I am a true fan if there ever was one.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Interesting turn of events.  So much for the "mutual admiration"  that both sides had for each other.  He files for arbitration and the Sox make him a QO.

Did the Sox piss him off by trying a low-ball 2-3 year deal?  Or do they want him for no more than a year because they think Vaughn will be ready by then?

It sure "looks" as if they want him one year then Vaughn takes over full time at first and Jose drifts off to another team. Is Vaughn some magician with the glove to go with a great bat? Is he Hosmer-like on defense or just another guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

BS. I've been a fan for so many years it'd make your head spin. Season tickets in the fifth row at old Comiskey for many many years. Access to luxury box at the Cell for many years. Close ties to one of Jerry's most influential (former) partners who has passed away. I am a true fan if there ever was one.

And yet here you are, placing the interests of a single player over the well-being of the team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, somebody should get the word to the writers to start examining advanced stats. No mention of Jose's average defense at first base (yes I contend he's average, not some oaf over there) and no advanced stats at all, not even OBP or slugging or anything. Here's what was written by the Trib. ...

"If Abreu declines and later signs with another team, the Sox could receive a draft pick. The Sox and Abreu could also work out a new deal. Abreu led the American League with 123 RBIs in 2019. He became just the second Sox hitter to finish first in the category, joining Dick Allen (113 in 1972). Abreu also led the Sox with 33 home runs and 38 doubles. He had a .284 batting average and played in a team-leading 159 games. Abreu, 32, made $16 million this past season. He made it clear several times during the season that he wants to remain with the Sox.

“If the team doesn’t sign me, I’m going to sign myself here,” he told reporters through an interpreter before an Aug. 19 game against the Twins at Target Field.

I still say this Jose thing defies logic. I've never seen fans more "concerned" about what could happen and how a guy "could" enter rapid decline than I have in reading posts about Jose. Almost all the guys Sox fans are talking about acquiring have just as many possible red flags AND they don't have 123 RBIs in their hip pocket. Hey Ron, how bad would the Sox lineup have been this year with Jose and his 123 RBIs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Abreu is getting a 2 year deal from us, maybe even 3. The QO is just a dog and pony show between the 2 sides. 

Good. I like what you are writing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You know, somebody should get the word to the writers to start examining advanced stats. No mention of Jose's average defense at first base (yes I contend he's average, not some oaf over there) and no advanced stats at all, not even OBP or slugging or anything. Here's what was written by the Trib. ...

"If Abreu declines and later signs with another team, the Sox could receive a draft pick. The Sox and Abreu could also work out a new deal. Abreu led the American League with 123 RBIs in 2019. He became just the second Sox hitter to finish first in the category, joining Dick Allen (113 in 1972). Abreu also led the Sox with 33 home runs and 38 doubles. He had a .284 batting average and played in a team-leading 159 games. Abreu, 32, made $16 million this past season. He made it clear several times during the season that he wants to remain with the Sox.

“If the team doesn’t sign me, I’m going to sign myself here,” he told reporters through an interpreter before an Aug. 19 game against the Twins at Target Field.

I still say this Jose thing defies logic. I've never seen fans more "concerned" about what could happen and how a guy "could" enter rapid decline than I have in reading posts about Jose. Almost all the guys Sox fans are talking about acquiring have just as many possible red flags AND they don't have 123 RBIs in their hip pocket. Hey Ron, how bad would the Sox lineup have been this year with Jose and his 123 RBIs?

This is a bad and embarrassing take greg. He is dogshit at first base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So the Sox are letting Jose test the market, while also screwing his market. Interesting. Hope Jose takes it. He's not going to beat that AVV on a long term deal. 

That's also a lot of our pitching targets that will require giving up a pick. But I guess that means only one with a QO will be a target anyway. Weird to see Will Smith on that list. I have no idea what the Giants are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

This also could theoretically allow the Sox to say, "OK, Jose.  We love you man.  But you're not worth $15M AAV over 3-4 years.  Go ahead and test the market, but we'll be here if it  doesn't work out."  And then in a couple months get him to re-sign closer to the 2/$25M deal we were projecting before his hot end to the season.  No one is going to sign Jose Abreu to a multi-year deal and lose a draft pick. 

This means there's still hope for Vaughn, Collins and even Yermin Mercedes and Eloy to become the future 1st baseman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Abreu is getting a 2 year deal from us, maybe even 3. The QO is just a dog and pony show between the 2 sides. 


This is my take on it.  Jose gets a chance to test the water...in a few weeks a deal for 2 years at 14 per year is announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, poppysox said:


This is my take on it.  Jose gets a chance to test the water...in a few weeks a deal for 2 years at 14 per year is announced.

while that's possible, this feels like some friction between the sides.   If everything was peachy they'd have come to that conclusion before officially offering the QO.  I'd hazard a guess Jose's camp was (or vice versa) is trying to call a bluff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, him accepting this QO would be perfect. $17.8M may be a tad more than he deserves, but it gets us out of having to pay him for 2-3 years, gives a perfect segway to Andrew Vaughn, and the cost is prohibitive to nothing for 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Also, him accepting this QO would be perfect. $17.8M may be a tad more than he deserves, but it gets us out of having to pay him for 2-3 years, gives a perfect segway to Andrew Vaughn, and the cost is prohibitive to nothing for 2020.

This. It is perfect. Vaughn should be ready by 2020 if he is as good as people think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Also, him accepting this QO would be perfect. $17.8M may be a tad more than he deserves, but it gets us out of having to pay him for 2-3 years, gives a perfect segway to Andrew Vaughn, and the cost is prohibitive to nothing for 2020.

E-scooter or segue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ron883 said:

This. It is perfect. Vaughn should be ready by 2020 if he is as good as people think. 

Even if he isn't, you could still offer Jose again next year or worst case go find another IB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×