Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

13 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Because he doesn't deserve it you Oof.

The devaluing of Abreu on here is just the sports cliche of the unknown (anybody else) being more sexy than the known (Abreu). 33 homers and 133 RBIs. Hmmm if we could trade for somebody on another team who did that or grab a free agent who went 33/133 last year, this board would be frothing at the mouth ready to pay 18 mill a season for multi seasons for such a person. Don't some of you understand you are falling for the cliche when you diss Abreu?

p.s. Lets say you owned a restaurant in Chicago and had the best chef in the City work for you the last 5 years and he/she was just consistently good to sensational and your restaurant was popular. Now he/she wants a bit beefier contract and instead you bring in somebody from California with exactly the same credentials. ... not always a wise move. My guess is the familiar chef cooks better broth, brother.  And the familiar chef is the one you want to sign for 3 more years.

Edited by greg775

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The devaluing of Abreu on here is just the sports cliche of the unknown (anybody else) being more sexy than the known (Abreu). 33 homers and 133 RBIs. Hmmm if we could trade for somebody on another team who did that or grab a free agent who went 33/133 last year, this board would be frothing at the mouth ready to pay 18 mill a season for multi seasons for such a person. Don't some of you understand you are falling for the cliche when you diss Abreu?

p.s. Lets say you owned a restaurant in Chicago and had the best chef in the City work for you the last 5 years and he/she was just consistently good to sensational and your restaurant was popular. Now he/she wants a bit beefier contract and instead you bring in somebody from California with exactly the same credentials. ... not always a wise move. My guess is the familiar chef cooks better broth, brother.  And the familiar chef is the one you want to sign for 3 more years.

Ahhhh, yes. 

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Your point of 33/133 having this from outside the organization would have everyone doing handsprings.  I for one am not anxious to face Jose if and when he wears some other team uniform.  More than anything...I think people feel him to be overpaid and with that I agree.

for those mentioning he’s potentially overpaid- so what? Our cheap ass organization finally shelled out some money? Great. Reinsdorf has billions. I know many of you feel there is some theoretical ceiling For payroll but somehow I feel as though Jose lives outside of that idea for the front office. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Is Rick Hahn Guy Fieri in this scenario?  And is the end result all of us going to flavor town?  I'll tell you, that whole ramble got me disinterested when RBIs got involved.  And the best part, I dunno why you felt the need to give him 10 more RBIs than he actually had last year.

Edited by bschmaranz
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I love Jose. I think we can express our love for him in different ways, like giving him a big statue or producing a buddy cop movie with him and Moises sierra.

But maybe we don’t have to do like a long term deal. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Jose probably needs to move to DH soon. 

He not a fan of the DH and that’s where I hold issue to anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal MAXIMUM with him. No reason to offer him anything longer than that 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’ve always believed that’s the deal he would receive, and based on what he did last season, if the money isn’t crazy, no one should complain. People will, but they shouldn’t. 

How do you define "crazy" in this scenario?

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

A "long term deal" is probably a loose term in this case.  I'd be very surprised if they agree on a deal any longer than 3 years.  Two years plus an option would be what I'd expect.

And I'm good with that.  For his numbers the Sox have gotten him well below market value...and what he means to this team is invaluable.  Especially to these young guys like Yoan, Eloy and Robert this next year. Abreu wants to be here so I imagine he'd give a home town discount to stay on a 3 year deal. I have zero problems with it.

Edited by Wanne

My fear is they overpay badly and do only minimal changes roster wise, but Hahn says hey we kept Abreu so be happy. 2 for 24 max with team option year 3, otherwise see ya.

Edited by Soxfest

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Anything over 18-19 million a season becomes too much. If they extend him for 16x2 with a team option for year 3, they are more than fine. No one should be upset.

Why do 16x2 when we can get him for 18m with the QO? Less risk. We can bargain him lower than 16m a year due to the loss of draft pick penalty. 14x2 is more like it if you really want 2 years. 

36 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Why do 16x2 when we can get him for 18m with the QO? Less risk. We can bargain him lower than 16m a year due to the loss of draft pick penalty. 14x2 is more like it if you really want 2 years. 

I rejected the ban bet because Jose will be here the next 3 years whether people like it or not. It's gonna happen, they like hom and he likes it here. I think he gets his 2 and 28. 

40 minutes ago, ron883 said:

14x2 is what I predicted the day he got the QO.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I rejected the ban bet because Jose will be here the next 3 years whether people like it or not. It's gonna happen, they like hom and he likes it here. I think he gets his 2 and 28. 

You rejected it because you know you'll lose. Jose won't be here for 3 years

Edited by ron883

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

They can still negotiate even though the QO is out there. I kinda feel like they will agree to a 2 year deal by the deadline for his decision.