YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I rejected the ban bet because Jose will be here the next 3 years whether people like it or not. It's gonna happen, they like hom and he likes it here. I think he gets his 2 and 28. 

You rejected it because you know you'll lose. Jose won't be here for 3 years

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Why do 16x2 when we can get him for 18m with the QO? Less risk. We can bargain him lower than 16m a year due to the loss of draft pick penalty. 14x2 is more like it if you really want 2 years. 

I’d rather he take the QO and go year to year. But I don’t see that happening. The deal I purposed seems realistic, given where he is at in his career, and the Sox showing some loyalty with the extra year and a team option for a third. Don’t have to agree with it, but I at least understand it. 

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

Why do 16x2 when we can get him for 18m with the QO? Less risk. We can bargain him lower than 16m a year due to the loss of draft pick penalty. 14x2 is more like it if you really want 2 years. 

They can still negotiate even though the QO is out there. I kinda feel like they will agree to a 2 year deal by the deadline for his decision. 

I know it's Bruce Levine, but he said on the score this morning its going to be 3/45 as soon as this week.  He was stating it as something he knows, not just a guess.  What worries me is I can't see any benefit to this being a "Jerry's mouthpiece" type thing. 

They're going to screw this up, aren't they ... .?

24 minutes ago, RTC said:

I know it's Bruce Levine, but he said on the score this morning its going to be 3/45 as soon as this week.  He was stating it as something he knows, not just a guess.  What worries me is I can't see any benefit to this being a "Jerry's mouthpiece" type thing. 

3rd year has to be a team option. That also solidifies him as our DH for the future. Sox really need another lefty hitter. 

24 minutes ago, RTC said:

3/$45 would be pretty bad. I cannot understand why the Sox would prefer that to 1/$17.8M. $3/35M or less, and you’re basically getting him for two extra seasons at $8.6M each as compared to him just taking the QO. I guess could see the value there, though would still prefer 2 years.

All that being said Levine doesn’t know anything, and if the Sox were offering 3/$45M, the deal would have been signed months ago. They now have more leverage than ever, and they’re just now offering that? Doesn’t add up. 

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

3/$45 would be pretty bad. I cannot understand why the Sox would prefer that to 1/$17.8M. $3/35M or less, and you’re basically getting him for two extra seasons at $8.6M each as compared to him just taking the QO. I guess could see the value there, though would still prefer 2 years.

All that being said Levine doesn’t know anything, and if the Sox were offering 3/$45M, the deal would have been signed months ago. They now have more leverage than ever, and they’re just now offering that? Doesn’t add up. 

I will say this.  If giving Abreu three years is the cost to indirectly get Moncada to agree to a pre-FA extension then it’s simply the price of doing business.  If that’s not a consideration then this is just straight up dumb.  I love José and would be fine with him back on a 2/$28M deal (like MLBTR predicted), but otherwise I’d force him to accept the QO and see where things stand next year.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this.  If giving Abreu three years is the cost to indirectly get Moncada to agree to a pre-FA extension then it’s simply the price of doing business.  If that’s not a consideration then this is just straight up dumb.  I love José and would be fine with him back on a 2/$28M deal (like MLBTR predicted), but otherwise I’d force him to accept the QO and see where things stand next year.

Why would Abreu’s contract have anything to do with a potential Moncada extension? Abreu wouldn’t be on the team by the end of a hypothetical Moncada extension anyway so I don’t really see the correlation here.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

They can still negotiate even though the QO is out there. I kinda feel like they will agree to a 2 year deal by the deadline for his decision. 

Bingo!

17 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would Abreu’s contract have anything to do with a potential Moncada extension? Abreu wouldn’t be on the team by the end of a hypothetical Moncada extension anyway so I don’t really see the correlation here.

First off, there is no guarantee when Jose will retire.  He’s 32 years old and could theoretically play another five years (whether with us or not) and that would go beyond Yoan’s team control. Regardless, Moncada might not want to commit to an organization that say’s they love his mentor but then refuse to commit to him beyond a QO.  My point is keeping José happy may be a way to keep Moncada happy.  I would say with the utmost confidence that José leaving this offseason would be upsetting to Yoan, so it’s not that outlandish to think his future with the team could impact Moncada’s willingness to stick around.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

First off, there is no guarantee when Jose will retire.  He’s 32 years old and could theoretically play another five years (whether with us or not) and that would go beyond Yoan’s team control. Regardless, Moncada might not want to commit to an organization that say’s they love his mentor but then refuse to commit to him beyond a QO.  My point is keeping José happy may be a way to keep Moncada happy.  I would say with the utmost confidence that José leaving this offseason would be upsetting to Yoan, so it’s not that outlandish to think his future with the team could impact Moncada’s willingness to stick around.

I predict that no matter what is done...half the board will be upset with RH.

2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

3/45 is awful in terms of years and money.  How fucking stupid that would be to paint yourself in a corner and be stuck at DH with 34 and 35 year old Jose Abreu. 

I swear, I just wish people would wait to see decline rather than predict decline for players because of age. There are guys 35 years old raking in MLB still in baseball's postseason for instance. It's like Jose is 50 and something and we're offering him a mercy contract if we give him the 3 years greg thinks he deserves.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I swear, I just wish people would wait to see decline rather than predict decline for players because of age. There are guys 35 years old raking in MLB still in baseball's postseason for instance. It's like Jose is 50 and something and we're offering him a mercy contract if we give him the 3 years greg thinks he deserves.

This is a losing strategy. This is a losers mentality. Signing Jose 3 years is stupid. We can get him for 1 year. No reason to go any further than that. 

40 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is a losing strategy. This is a losers mentality. Signing Jose 3 years is stupid. We can get him for 1 year. No reason to go any further than that. 

Some of you guys are starting to worry about payroll again which is silly since Jerry has saved so much cash during the tank.

Not losing sleep over a possible 3rd year for Abreu  at $15million.  The Sox have pissed away dumber money the last 10 years.  Abreu, although people don't think it's real, is important for that clubhouse. 

Edited by HOFHurt35

48 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Some of you guys are starting to worry about payroll again which is silly since Jerry has saved so much cash during the tank.

Yeah because it's finite, along with roster spots.  DH is also a position we could add a LH bat to since this lineup has no balance at all. Or a position we could add somebody that is going to have higher than a .330 OBP.

I didn’t see this posted anywhere, but it’s from a Bruce article from yesterday:

https://670thescore.radio.com/jose-abreu-important-free-agent-white-sox

Abreu will likely turn down the qualifying offer, as most players do. Abreu's camp is seeking a three-year deal that could net him $50 million, according to industry sources.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I'm sure that if Abreu rakes for the next 3 years they will be first to point out they were wrong.😉

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t see this posted anywhere, but it’s from a Bruce article from yesterday:

No team is giving him that along with losing a draft pick. Feel like hes definitely going to be back with the Sox, whether that is for 1 or 2 years.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t blame him for asking. But clearly Sox aren’t agreeing. 

this could be the best case scenario, honestly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That makes sense. A Moncada extension should be one of the top priorities this offseason...even if they can only get one more year out of him. 

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That makes sense. A Moncada extension should be one of the top priorities this offseason...even if they can only get one more year out of him. 

Definitely.  If we can buy out one year of him & Giolito, that gives a strong four year window from 2021 to 2024 plus an outside shot next year with the right moves.