YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Sox issue qualifying offer to Abreu

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

No way he rejects that.

Yah.  For the Sox to do this means that Jose must have had no interest in signing a 2 year $25-28M deal the past few months. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

WOW.  Kind of significant news.  Jose should take it. 

With his production being good but not great and his glove being a liability, I doubt he would easily make 8 figures on the open market.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but offering a qualifying offer seems to me that they are not going to sign him to a multiyear extension.

I agree.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but offering a qualifying offer seems to me that they are not going to sign him to a multiyear extension.

Obviously.  I think this pretty clearly means that what the Sox are offering and what Jose wants are not matching up.

Which, IMO, is probably a good thing.  Overpaying Jose Abreu for multiple seasons would be very stupid.  Overpaying him for 1 season would be less stupid. 

1 year at $18 seems ideal for both sides. Jose gets way more money than he would on the open market and the Sox get him for the 1 year they really need him and not the 2-3 he desires.

Ew... eh... whatever. Hopefully it doesn't impact them from spending in the offseason. I'm definitely glad it's just for a year however.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is honestly ideal. I'm VERY happy they didn't do some emotionally stupid shit.

Completely agree. 

This also could theoretically allow the Sox to say, "OK, Jose.  We love you man.  But you're not worth $15M AAV over 3-4 years.  Go ahead and test the market, but we'll be here if it  doesn't work out."  And then in a couple months get him to re-sign closer to the 2/$25M deal we were projecting before his hot end to the season.  No one is going to sign Jose Abreu to a multi-year deal and lose a draft pick. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

I’d have to think this virtually guarantees Abreu is back for next year, unless it is the result of some catastrophic falling out during negotiations. 

So the Sox are letting Jose test the market, while also screwing his market. Interesting. Hope Jose takes it. He's not going to beat that AVV on a long term deal. 

18 mil is way to much for abreu, but for a year I can't really bring myself to be upset about it. 

25 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Which is fantastic news

The worst that happens is he takes the QO, has a monster year and because he no longer has a QO attached and was pissed , he leaves.  I'll take a monster year.

• Like 1