JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Of course you should want JD. I can’t believe some are concerned it might mean the end of Collins.  

I don't think anyone is concerned about it.  But it's definitely worth discussing based on how the roster shakes out.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think anyone is concerned about it.  But it's definitely worth discussing based on how the roster shakes out.  

My prediction is he’s not part of the future going forward.  I think they go after someone like Castro to back-up McCann and go big at DH and RF.  No big loss IMO, as I don’t think Collins can hit at this level.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

My prediction is he’s not part of the future going forward.  I think they go after someone like Castro to back-up McCann and go big at DH and RF.  No big loss IMO, as I don’t think Collins can hit at this level.

That is fine prediction, but I think they're going to give him alot more than 50 MLB plate appearances before they make that determination.  He provides 2 things the Sox sorely lack - plate discipline / ability to take walks and handedness.  I doubt they throw him to the side for a guy like Jason Castro, at least not yet.  

54 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would be totally fine with the Sox giving JD Martinez 5/100 right now. He's a multiplier. He's a great hitter and makes other hitters better. I just want him around all the Sox younger hitters on a consistent basis. The contract would pay for itself. I was very impressed with Martinez after reading Astroball and The MVP machine. 

I was thinking 3/90 would get him. May be an overpay but that is what the Sox need to do to start being an attractive destination. Im not sure hed go for 5/100 if there were other close offers, but maybe 4/100 with a variety of options on year 5 would work. 

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They arent signing Gerrit Cole. 

I know history would tell us the Sox don't pay big for pitching, but is it possible thats just been circumstance? Also, when have the Sox been in this position before? I agree that it's unlikely, but I wouldn't automatically count them out.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That is fine prediction, but I think they're going to give him alot more than 50 MLB plate appearances before they make that determination.  He provides 2 things the Sox sorely lack - plate discipline / ability to take walks and handedness.  I doubt they throw him to the side for a guy like Jason Castro, at least not yet.  

I think the Castro thing is possible for defensive reasons.  

Just now, scs787 said:

I know history would tell us the Sox don't pay big for pitching, but is it possible thats just been circumstance? Also, when have the Sox been in this position before? I agree that it's unlikely, but I wouldn't automatically count them out.

I think there’s a better chance the Cubs sign Cole and trade Q to the Sox, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I'd like to believe the White Sox would be in play for Cole, but Steve Stone, who I consider to be speaking for the organization as he's in a position to know and share the thinking of the front office, is already out saying on the record he believes it to be a move they won't make.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Why not just wait a year and sign Q as a FA?

The Cubs may be motivated to clear a moderate amount of additional payroll to find space for Cole. It's the same reason the Angels might trade Kole Calhoun - if you move the guy making $10-15 million for a small but nonzero return, and you have $10 million in tax space available, now you can offer a $25 million payroll in year 1 more easily.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Since we're talking hypotheticals here, if the Sox signed Martinez, Corey Dickerson, Cole Hamels, and a decent reliever this offseason, would you guys be happy with that? 

No I wouldn't be. If you're going to sign JD Martinez and Corey Dickerson you can't leave me with that weak and inexperienced of a rotation on paper. 

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Since we're talking hypotheticals here, if the Sox signed Martinez, Corey Dickerson, Cole Hamels, and a decent reliever this offseason, would you guys be happy with that? 

Yes, just want to see one stud added to the core and JDM is that guy

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd like to believe the White Sox would be in play for Cole, but Steve Stone, who I consider to be speaking for the organization as he's in a position to know and share the thinking of the front office, is already out saying on the record he believes it to be a move they won't make.

FWIW -  I think the organization as whole will make a conscious effort to not pump up the hopes of the fanbase like they did last offseason.  Clearly they directly shot themselves in the foot by being so confident on Machado, and I don't think they're going to do that again.

That being said, Cole is a longshot if just for the simple fact that every team will want him, and he'll likely have at least 10 active bidders.  Will be tough for the Sox to win that, and I am not sure I even want them to if it requires a 7/$250M type deal.  But I wouldn't put that much stock in what Steve Stone says.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would be excited.  I would hope they'd add another backend SP type in addition to that, and I'd prefer someone a step above Hamels, but I wouldn't be mad about that offseason.  

I have higher hopes, but I think that would be an offseason I could get behind.  

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No I wouldn't be. If you're going to sign JD Martinez and Corey Dickerson you can't leave me with that weak and inexperienced of a rotation on paper. 

Let's be honest.  Is there an offseason you would be pleased with?  The Sox could sign Rendon and Cole and you'd find a way to rip them.  

• Love 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Let's be honest.  Is there an offseason you would be pleased with?  The Sox could sign Rendon and Cole and you'd find a way to rip them.  

Yes, replace Hamels in that lineup with Bumgarner or one of the better ones and now you've got a deal. But let's be equally honest, you'll rip me either way because you can't help but make it personal, as you just did while replying to that post.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, replace Hamels in that lineup with Bumgarner or one of the better ones and now you've got a deal. But let's be equally honest, you'll rip me either way because you can't help but make it personal, as you just did while replying to that post.

If pointing out that you're constantly negative and almost never make a positive post is "making it personal", I guess I am guilty but I wouldn't really say that is ripping on you because it is true. 

Anyways, I agree that replacing Hamels with one of the top 5 SP on the FA market + Martinez + Abreu + Dickerson + bullpen arm or two would be pretty damn good offseason.  Not super interested in Hamels unless he is the 2nd SP added. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If pointing out that you're constantly negative and almost never make a positive post is "making it personal", I guess I am guilty but I wouldn't really say that is ripping on you because it is true. 

Anyways, I agree that replacing Hamels with one of the top 5 SP on the FA market + Martinez + Abreu + Dickerson + bullpen arm or two would be pretty damn good offseason.  Not super interested in Hamels unless he is the 2nd SP added. 

I would be surprised if Hamels goes back to the AL. A Phillies reunion makes a lot of sense.

34 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Need another starter, i'd be happy with where the lineup would be at

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

FWIW -  I think the organization as whole will make a conscious effort to not pump up the hopes of the fanbase like they did last offseason.  Clearly they directly shot themselves in the foot by being so confident on Machado, and I don't think they're going to do that again.

That being said, Cole is a longshot if just for the simple fact that every team will want him, and he'll likely have at least 10 active bidders.  Will be tough for the Sox to win that, and I am not sure I even want them to if it requires a 7/$250M type deal.  But I wouldn't put that much stock in what Steve Stone says.  

Why? Apparently attendance and viewership numbers are up this year which seemingly would mean revenues are also up. They are already seeking season ticket renewals which would give them every reason to pump up hopes again. Sure, KW and Hahn took some heat, but in the end nothing bad actually happened after that died down. And these guys aren't as big of names as those guys so it would likely get even less blow back from common fans when we miss but it would provide hope for those that know them.

You can rotate JDM from DH to right and Collins from C, DH, 1B.  Also if you can get JDM who really cares about Collins getting less ABs.  

Or just don't resign Abreu and make Collins your primary 1B. Either way he isn't going to cost all that much, 22-24 AAV for his production on a 4 year deal sounds right.   Still plenty of money to get pitching and a true RF as well.

• Tony locked this topic
  • knightni unlocked this topic