JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

Man I would love to snag Betts from the BoSox but they're gonna want Robert or Madrigal headlining the deal. 

Part of the reason I like the idea of pursuing JDM and just trotting Leury out to RF every day next year (and hitting him 9th in the order) is that if the Sox are in contention at the deadline, they can attempt to trade for Betts at that point since I don't think the Red Sox will be competitive with how they figure to slash payroll.  No way would it take Robert or Madrigal to get him as a rental.  Then, after 2020, the Sox could decide if they want to make a big offer to Betts, or give RF to one of Walker/Basabe/Rutherford/Gonzalez if one of those guys has a big breakout year next year.

39 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The purpose of being absurdly cheap the past few years has been so we can spend money on free agents in the future to supplement our prospects. I'll be annoyed if we start trading prospects so we don't have to spend money on free agents. Wait to trade your prospects for when you are a bonafide contender and need the final supplemental pieces to compete. 

Hey we agree on something.

37 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Part of the reason I like the idea of pursuing JDM and just trotting Leury out to RF every day next year (and hitting him 9th in the order) is that if the Sox are in contention at the deadline, they can attempt to trade for Betts at that point since I don't think the Red Sox will be competitive with how they figure to slash payroll.  No way would it take Robert or Madrigal to get him as a rental.  Then, after 2020, the Sox could decide if they want to make a big offer to Betts, or give RF to one of Walker/Basabe/Rutherford/Gonzalez if one of those guys has a big breakout year next year.

Part of what's wrong with that is the Red Sox might contend next year or even trade him this off season and he will be very costly. Eevn if he is still available at the deadline don't fool yourself into thinking he won't cost all that much. He would require an A and a B prospect at the minimum.

I'm not as keen on spending decent money on DH types. Since it seems apparent the Sox plan of keeping Abreu then they just have to man up and tell him he's a DH. Sign Moustaskas to play 1st and he can fill in at 3rd and 2nd occasionally or with injuries until or if Vaughn pans out,

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Part of what's wrong with that is the Red Sox might contend next year or even trade him this off season and he will be very costly. Eevn if he is still available at the deadline don't fool yourself into thinking he won't cost all that much. He would require an A and a B prospect at the minimum.

I'm not as keen on spending decent money on DH types. Since it seems apparent the Sox plan of keeping Abreu then they just have to man up and tell him he's a DH. Sign Moustaskas to play 1st and he can fill in at 3rd and 2nd occasionally or with injuries until or if Vaughn pans out,

Rental position players -- even great ones like Betts -- tend to not cost that much.  The Dodgers acquired Manny Machado at the 2018 deadline for a package of players headlined by Yusniel Diaz, who I think was ranked somewhere in the 80s on top prospect lists at the time.

10 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Rental position players -- even great ones like Betts -- tend to not cost that much.  The Dodgers acquired Manny Machado at the 2018 deadline for a package of players headlined by Yusniel Diaz, who I think was ranked somewhere in the 80s on top prospect lists at the time.

I'm still not sure why the White Sox would make a move for Betts when he's under control for only 1 year, but another problem with the White Sox's system right now is that it's top heavy. Madrigal, Robert, and Vaughn are all top 50 or better talents, then we have no one in that 50-100 range. We have some guys who might step into that range next season but they're not there yet. 

23 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think Boston will not offer JD if he opts out because he most likely will only be a DH going forward and they will apply his money to the Betts offer.  My concern for the White Sox is Boras is the agent and he will drag this out till ST like he did when JD signed w Boston as well as Harper w Philly. JD has supposedly been a major influenece in their clubhouse which Boras will counter the age issue with.  He would be great w our young bats. 

Betts is extremely popular in Boston and is close w Cora. Unless he has a "destination" in mind, I think he resigns w Boston. But there will be a new GM going forward so you never know. 

39 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Betts is a universally better player and you'd get him for a full season rather than 2 1/2 months. It's gonna cost you.

33 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Betts is a universally better player and you'd get him for a full season rather than 2 1/2 months. It's gonna cost you.

Yep Sox are not in any position  to be spending prospect currency on rental players. If you are going to trade them get some controllable talent. Minor leaguers for minor leaguers such as Mendick, Gonzales, Rutherford, Walker , Stievers etc for other more advanced prospects maybe like Jesus Sanchez in the Marlins org,

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I’d prefer Grandal, I’ll be happy if we land one of them.  We need at least one significant positional upgrade on top of everything else.

I still think most would hate watching Grandal on a regular basis. He goes through stretches where he looks like the initial call-up version of Z. Collins.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

If it’s a somewhat short-term deal, every Sox fan should. He would be a tremendous addition to the lineup. 

It would pretty much have to be four years given what he’d be foregoing.  That being said, 4/$90M might work for both sides.  His market shouldn’t huge, as there are only a handful of teams in the mix.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

If it’s a somewhat short-term deal, every Sox fan should. He would be a tremendous addition to the lineup. 

He would be opting out with 3 years 61 million left on the deal so I'm thinking he gets 4.  Unless the Sox do 3/75 or something like that.  

Just now, Tony said:

Goes without saying that it’s not my money, but with the financial flexibility the Sox have created, I’d rather the Sox overpay for JD over three years then spread it out over 4, but not sure I see them taking that approach. 

I agree.  I'd rather have them overpay than add the extra year.  

Have we signed many Boras guys? In 2004 Kenny Williams said in the Trib: "I do not expect to sign any Scott Boras clients. Let's just say that we both respectfully agree to disagree on the value of his players."

I like the idea of Martinez but I have to laugh at the similarities to Abreu. He's 32. Had a 3.3 WAR a bit higher than Jose. He hit 36 HRs and 105 RBI with a BA of .304, about 25 points higher than Jose. Good old fashioned stats; advanced stats shouldn't have the advanced stat people doing cartwheels at 32.

I'll sign him though. He fits the greg profile. PRODUCTION in terms of HRs and RBIs is nice. Funny ... prove me wrong but I have a feeling folks won't be mentioning his age at all while continuing to mention Jose's. Why? JD is the sexy unknown acquisition; Jose old news of some of the advanced statters.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

• Tony locked this topic
  • knightni unlocked this topic