JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

58 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He would be opting out with 3 years 61 million left on the deal so I'm thinking he gets 4.  Unless the Sox do 3/75 or something like that.  

Not trying to be a dick, but this is interesting. At age 32, with normal stats like JD has (very similar to Jose's) ... I thought guys didn't have a slight chance of getting a contract better than 3 years 61 million. Why the heck would he opt out of that?? Makes very little sense. That's a lot of money and with baseball age-ism as it is, shouldn't Boras tell him to be happy with his current deal? And I would think this very unpopular with Sox fans. 3.3 WAR is great in greg's world but aren't the advanced statters concerned that he could stop hitting at any point  because of his age and his WAR figures to go down not up? Just asking.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Not trying to be a dick, but this is interesting. At age 32, with normal stats like JD has (very similar to Jose's) ... I thought guys didn't have a slight chance of getting a contract better than 3 years 61 million. Why the heck would he opt out of that?? Makes very little sense. That's a lot of money and with baseball age-ism as it is, shouldn't Boras tell him to be happy with his current deal? And I would think this very unpopular with Sox fans. 3.3 WAR is great in greg's world but aren't the advanced statters concerned that he could stop hitting at any point  because of his age and his WAR figures to go down not up? Just asking.

Greg he's had over 1000 OPS 4 of the last 5 years.  Jose never has.  That isn't an advanced stat.

EDIT: I misread his stats on bRef, he's done it 2 of the last 3 years.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

55 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Have we signed many Boras guys? In 2004 Kenny Williams said in the Trib: "I do not expect to sign any Scott Boras clients. Let's just say that we both respectfully agree to disagree on the value of his players."

I like the idea of Martinez but I have to laugh at the similarities to Abreu. He's 32. Had a 3.3 WAR a bit higher than Jose. He hit 36 HRs and 105 RBI with a BA of .304, about 25 points higher than Jose. Good old fashioned stats; advanced stats shouldn't have the advanced stat people doing cartwheels at 32.

I'll sign him though. He fits the greg profile. PRODUCTION in terms of HRs and RBIs is nice. Funny ... prove me wrong but I have a feeling folks won't be mentioning his age at all while continuing to mention Jose's. Why? JD is the sexy unknown acquisition; Jose old news of some of the advanced statters.

"The sexy unknown"? People know what JD is, a great damn hitter. He can't field at all, but he sure can hit the hell out of the ball.

In '17, JD had an OPS (on base percentage + slugging) that was 160 points higher than Jose, in '18 it was 233 points higher than Jose, and this year it was 105 points higher. That's a pretty wide gap if you ask me. Jose had a nice rebound year in '19, but JD would provide the team with a bonafide DH for the first time since the shell of Adam Dunn roamed the premises, some desperately needed on base percentage (his OBPs the last 3 years are .376, .402, .383, guys on base more have a better chance of scoring runs), protection for everyone else in the lineup, and can be a great influence on the young hitters we have here/coming up (see Betts, Mookie). 

It's not about "statniks"/advanced stat people trying to shame the traditional stat followers, it's about making the White Sox a better baseball team. Adding a high quality bat to a lineup that sure could use it makes all the sense in the world. His age is what it is, he's about 7 months younger than Jose FWIW, but as a professional hitter and not much of a fielder anymore, one would hope to project that he doesn't fall off the "wrong side of 30" cliff as quickly as a normal position player would/does. Jose isn't a good 1Bman by any means, but both of them could definitely coexist, and the both of them on a 2020 White Sox roster would make it significantly better.

• Tony locked this topic
2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Greg he's had over 1000 OPS 4 of the last 5 years.  Jose never has.  That isn't an advanced stat.

EDIT: I misread his stats on bRef, he's done it 2 of the last 3 years.

Anybody know why he'd opt out of a 3 year 61 million dollar deal? With a good team? I don't care what his stats are and you all suggest they are great ... Somebody will give him 3 years 75 mill or something? Kind of strange to me that Boras would have him opt out. He's that good that 3 years 61 mill doesn't excite JD anymore? Just askin'

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Anybody know why he'd opt out of a 3 year 61 million dollar deal? With a good team? I don't care what his stats are and you all suggest they are great ... Somebody will give him 3 years 75 mill or something? Kind of strange to me that Boras would have him opt out. He's that good that 3 years 61 mill doesn't excite JD anymore? Just askin'

He's going to get more money than the 60 million he's owed for sure.  I have no idea what the years are going to look like but I can see him getting 75 million plus pretty easily. 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's going to get more money than the 60 million he's owed for sure.  I have no idea what the years are going to look like but I can see him getting 75 million plus pretty easily. 

I'll shut up after this as I tend to obsess on certain topics, but it confuses me why a guy on a good team who makes very very good money, more than he'll ever need, would opt out of 61 million dollars to go play for some other team that 'may' offer him way more, may not. Baseball has had some weird offseasons in terms of paying players (Moose comes to mind) and I don't know why a guy guaranteed that much loot would enter free agency when he's already on a great team in a great baseball city. Oh well, I'll shut up now on this topic.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'll shut up after this as I tend to obsess on certain topics, but it confuses me why a guy on a good team who makes very very good money, more than he'll ever need, would opt out of 61 million dollars to go play for some other team that 'may' offer him way more, may not. Baseball has had some weird offseasons in terms of paying players (Moose comes to mind) and I don't know why a guy guaranteed that much loot would enter free agency when he's already on a great team in a great baseball city. Oh well, I'll shut up now on this topic.

I wonder how much it would take to get Avi? He's better than JD in the outfield. Could offer decent production at a FRACTION of the price. DH him if need be. 

I'm officially on team bring-back-Avi

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

I wonder how much it would take to get Avi? He's better than JD in the outfield. Could offer decent production at a FRACTION of the price. DH him if need be. 

Go big or go home. JDM is a big name to get nation exposure and excite the fan base. He is also a much better offensive talent. We could sign both of those guys if it came to it. 

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

They still need a RF even after they sign JDM. Signing JDM does not rule out  an Avi signing.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

They still need a RF even after they sign JDM. Signing JDM does not rule out  an Avi signing.

All the righties!

JD would be fine if Abreu takes the QO or signs at max a 2 year deal.  A lefty RF becomes an absolute must in that scenario tho.  

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Those options on the FA market are very few. Eaton would make sense if he wasn't a total prick. 

Eaton won't be a FA.  

And yes.  The options suck.  I vote for a trade, but I guess one of Calhoun/Gardner/Dickerson/Gordon on a 1 year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if legitimate money is invested in a DH, a top of rotation SP and another decent backend SP.  

Edited by ChiSox59