JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah, JDM is not playing for the Red Sox one way or another

I know they have a mandate to get below the luxury tax but have we actually seen anything this definitive? The last article I saw had them saying "Well we want to find a way to keep both Betts and Martinez but we know it's tough to do that and reach the payroll limits". 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know they have a mandate to get below the luxury tax but have we actually seen anything this definitive? The last article I saw had them saying "Well we want to find a way to keep both Betts and Martinez but we know it's tough to do that and reach the payroll limits". 

edit: nvm read your post wrong.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

There is literally nothing in that article that says "We are getting rid of Martinez", it says what I said in the post above - they need to get beneath the Tax but it will lead to some tough decisions. Somewhere out there, there's an article that says something about both Betts and Martinez from a few days after that one, but nothing definitive that says "getting rid of Martinez is guaranteed" as was presented there.

38 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Then they can just trade for him. 

Sure, but he's a much more attractive target as a signing rather than giving up assets to acquire.  Probably wouldn't cost a ton, but Boston isn't going to just give him away.  He also has another opt out after next season in his current deal, so another reason why that route is less than ideal.   

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is literally nothing in that article that says "We are getting rid of Martinez", it says what I said in the post above - they need to get beneath the Tax but it will lead to some tough decisions. Somewhere out there, there's an article that says something about both Betts and Martinez from a few days after that one, but nothing definitive that says "getting rid of Martinez is guaranteed" as was presented there.

I edited the post. But regardless, with Mookie at a projected $28 million, if JDM were to opt-in that puts them over the cap even if they drop cashner. They can slash elsewhere. They are around 196 before Martinez decision. With him opting in that puts them at 218, 10 mill over. Maybe they just DFA Jackie Bradley Jr but that leaves them needing to be dead on on their projected arb costs.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, but he's a much more attractive target as a signing rather than giving up assets to acquire.  Probably wouldn't cost a ton, but Boston isn't going to just give him away.  He also has another opt out after next season in his current deal, so another reason why that route is less than ideal.   

He's a really difficult trade asset because he has an opt-out next year too, which means teams would treat him as an expiring contract, in addition to knowing boston would likely be shedding costs.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's a really difficult trade asset because he has an opt-out next year too, which means teams would treat him as an expiring contract, in addition to knowing boston would likely be shedding costs.

He wouldn't cost much in trade. Boston needs to cut the money and they'd only receive a pick after the 2nd round when he signs elsewhere. 

15 hours ago, bmags said:

I could see the Sox preferring this. $62.5 mil is a lot less to commit than say $80 mil would be. It probably wouldn't cost much in trade value, because of limited suitors and Boston likely needs to lose his salary.

Edited by Sarava

from sonsofsamhorn.com

yea i remember when he was a FA there was a lot of talk by Boras that defensive metrics exaggerated how bad he is in the field. But man he is absolutely terrible out there. Maybe have him take some reps at 1b? the guy is not an outfielder

He wasn't nearly as bad last year (2018), either by the eye test or the numbers. Either age is catching up with him, he's been hobbled by minor injuries, or something. But it certainly seems like his OF playing days should be over, except in NL parks and maybe occasional other road games.

12 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

What are the chances that Martinez opts out?  It seems like most of the rumors and assumptions are that he will, but has there been any news of him leaning one way or the other?

Nothing will be concrete until after the WS. The White Sox and Red Sox both know his decision already. No way he opts out without knowing how much we'd be willing to pay him. And no way he opts in with Boston without knowing if he can make more money elsewhere, especially since he said he likes to move around. I think this predicament coupled with Boras as his agent means he opts out. I'd put it at 85-15. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

29 minutes ago, tray said:

For the  money, I would prefer Castellanos.

If the team is not going for Martinez, then Moustakas is my favorite FA option for that position. He's more useful defensively than Castellanos and thus is less of a clog at the DH position where Abreu needs to move soon, and also hits left handed, which I gotta admit that we legitimately need.

I get why you'd spend the premium on Martinez if you're not spending premium dollars on pitching, he's the best hitter available. But if you're not going for him, then get the guy who gives you positional backups and lineup balance.

15 hours ago, Sarava said:

I could see the Sox preferring this. $62.5 mil is a lot less to commit than say $80 mil would be. It probably wouldn't cost much in trade value, because of limited suitors and Boston likely needs to lose his salary.

Plus  I think he can opt out again next year . Positionally challenged,opting out is not a given especially if his market doesn’t include Boston or the Yankees or NL teams.

Edited by Dick Allen