JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would they want an entire rotation of ticking bomb TJ revisions in the rotation...other than Lopez?

If your criteria for free agent pitching is no Tommy John’s in their past you’ve just cut the list substantially.  No idea why doing that makes any sense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He and all of the players, coaches, and staff have been saying they expect big things next season and playoffs. The only folks doubting things are is fans. I will still believe it when I see it. 

They said to expect big things last offseason also. Lying about that turned out to be a great way to sell more tickets.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They said to expect big things last offseason also. Lying about that turned out to be a great way to sell more tickets.

Not really. They were cocky about getting Machado, but the players and coaches weren't really talking playoffs and big moves like they are now. I think Hahn and Kenny know better this time around. If they mess up, they backlash from the fans and media will be too much for them to save face. I think they get it done and even sign one of the pitchers we think will be impossible to get. He may love the West coast but I think we will blow him away with an offer if he hits the market. We also need to still back some good vibes from a certain NL team. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

I know Stone is trying to get some fan hype going, but it takes two to tango here, and if JDM and Stras don't opt out, the FA market is basically Cole, Rendon,  Grandal, and some less exciting options.

I'm gonna keep hoping Grandal is target #1 until someone signs him.

14 minutes ago, daggins said:

I know Stone is trying to get some fan hype going, but it takes two to tango here, and if JDM and Stras don't opt out, the FA market is basically Cole, Rendon,  Grandal, and some less exciting options.

I'm gonna keep hoping Grandal is target #1 until someone signs him.

These teams and players already know what they are gonna do for the most part. A few weeks back Cole's teammates all but said he was leaving for the West Coast. They aren't actually waiting until 5 days after the WS to decide their fates. 

21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

These teams and players already know what they are gonna do for the most part. A few weeks back Cole's teammates all but said he was leaving for the West Coast. They aren't actually waiting until 5 days after the WS to decide their fates. 

Hope the WS ends tonight.  Want the AL to win and mostly want to get the clock ticking on free agency.

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No I think they're idiots, but I do think they're also liars and accidentally that made them millions of dollars.

I think they’re just idiots who honestly thought they were in the driver’s seat and simply overplayed their hand.  I also don’t think they sold that many extra tickets from their pursuit of Manny and whatever measly money they made off it was more than offset by anger and hostility amongst the fanbase.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they’re just idiots who honestly thought they were in the driver’s seat and simply overplayed their hand.  I also don’t think they sold that many extra tickets from their pursuit of Manny and whatever measly money they made off it was more than offset by anger and hostility amongst the fanbase.

I think there was a bit of both. I know everyone hates David Kaplan and he's a Cubbie guy, but he was telling a story a couple of weeks ago how he was talking to Jeff Passan right before Manny signed, and Passan told him the White Sox weren't even close. He knew how they were $50 million short. He wasn't fake surprised when he took more money. He didn't try to spin how their's was the far better offer, but they couldn't afford the one they said was inferior.  

Edited by Dick Allen

They sold extra tickets because with Anderson, Eloy, Moncada, Abreu and Geo where individuals worth watching. 

It surprised me how quickly the fans seemingly let it go over that Machado fiasco. I thought a grudge was going to be held over that, but that didn't seem to be the case.

I do think the Sox plan on spending this winter. But at the same time, you can see from the fan posts and such, that everyone has limited their expectations. Nobody seems to expect Strasburg or Cole, even though Sox fans probably deserve one of them more than any fans in MLB.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

It surprised me how quickly the fans seemingly let it go over that Machado fiasco. I thought a grudge was going to be held over that, but that didn't seem to be the case.

I do think the Sox plan on spending this winter. But at the same time, you can see from the fan posts and such, that everyone has limited their expectations. Nobody seems to expect Strasburg or Cole, even though Sox fans probably deserve one of them more than any fans in MLB.

It's hard to see them hand out a $100M contract....ever. 

Going to try to stay optimistic though. 

If they have an offseason only slightly better than last year's we should be at 333 W. 35th St. with our torches and pitchforks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think there was a bit of both. I know everyone hates David Kaplan and he's a Cubbie guy, but he was telling a story a couple of weeks ago how he was talking to Jeff Passan right before Manny signed, and Passan told him the White Sox weren't even close. He knew how they were $50 million short. He wasn't fake surprised when he took more money. He didn't try to spin how their's was the far better offer, but they couldn't afford the one they said was inferior.  

Hopefully they were not idiots because if they were,  they are the same ones going into this FA season. 

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

The fans haven't gotten over it or forgotten. We are willing to give this front office one more offseason to prove themselves. If they fail again, that will be curtains. 

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I'm not sure if you're on Twitter, but LOTS of people there haven't forgotten. They continue to whine and complain almost daily about it.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

The fans haven't gotten over it or forgotten. We are willing to give this front office one more offseason to prove themselves. If they fail again, that will be curtains. 

This whole offseason revolves around JDM and Strasburg opting out and entering the market. There's going to be a TON of competition for very little quality without those two. 

If those guys opt in, the top of the hitting market is:

Grandal

Moustakas

Abreu 

And the top of the pitching market is: 

Cole

Wheeler

Bumgarner 

Ryu

I don't count Keuchel because I think that he's trash. 

With slim pickings after those 7. 

Edited by Jack Parkman