JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

47 minutes ago, skooch said:

Ahhh, Bumgarner. I can't wait to see the clubhouse with him and TA7 in it after the first bat flip. Tension so thick, you can cut it with a knife!

I really think this is overrated. Bum just hates getting showed up, but also defends his teammates no matter what.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:48 AM, BackDoorBreach said:

We need a DH that hits and gets on.Ā  Grandal does not hit near enough for me if it was between JDM or Grandal.Ā  JDM's bat just plays so much better.

Our track record of bringing in hitters might scare off some people.Ā 

Little game...you get 15 points to spend for the major signings of the off season, take your pickĀ 

Ā 

Cole(12), Strasburg(12), Wheeler(5),Ā Bum(5), Ryu(5), Ordorizzi(3)Ā , Keuchel(3), Pineda(2), Hamels(2), Roark(2)

Ā 

Rendon(12), JDM(5) or Grandal(5)

Ā 

Ozuna(4), Castellanos(4), Moustakas(3), Encarnacion (3),Ā Puig(2), Dickerson(2),Ā Gardner(2)

Will Smith(4), Will Harris(2), Daniel Hudson(2),Ā Betances(2)

Ā 

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Little game...you get 15 points to spend for the major signings of the off season, take your pickĀ 

Ā 

Cole(12), Strasburg(12), Wheeler(5),Ā Bum(5), Ryu(5), Ordorizzi(3)Ā , Keuchel(3), Pineda(2), Hamels(2), Roark(2)

Ā 

Ā 

Ozuna(4), Castellanos(4), Moustakas(3), Encarnacion (3),Ā Puig(2), Dickerson(2),Ā Gardner(2)

ļ»æ

Ā 

I am aware of all the reasons why we will not do this. Cole + Moustakas.Ā 

33 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Bumgarner, Wheeler, Dickerson, and Encarnacion. Then Vaughn takes over for Abreu at 1B in 2021, and Abreu replaces Encarnacion as the DH. Also, signĀ Betts to replace Dickerson in 2021.

(This is not my actual plan...just my plan for the sake of this exercise.)

Think itā€™s possible for the Sox and Boston to work out a sign &trade for JDM?

Doing this will allow the Sox to keep their first round pick. And Boston could get some (filler)prospects/cash/salary relief coming back to them.Ā 

Edited by Joshua Strong

8 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Doing this will allow the Sox to keep their first round pick. And Boston could get some (filler)prospects/cash/salary relief coming back to them.Ā 

2nd round pick.

10 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Ā No sign and trades in MLB.

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ā No sign and trades in MLB.

I think he worded that wrong. The only way the Sox would trade for JD is if he doesn't opt out - in which case, he's already signed. And as we discussed before, the Sox might prefer something like this. It would probably be a lesser dollar commitment required that signing him if he opts out. Just don't give up any of our top 7 or 8 prospects for him and I'm fine.

My gut says he doesn't opt out. He has until tomorrow. I think if he was opting out, he would of done it already (as some Boras guys already have like Strasburg). Boras and JD might worry that he doesn't even get the $62.5 mil he is owed out on the free agent market. That or maybe he doesn't want to play for the teams that likely would offer him a good contractĀ (like the Sox?).

There arenā€™t many teams that can afford the services of J.D. Martinez. First off, he isnā€™t as good in the outfield as he is as an everyday American League DH. That means a lot of the National League teams will be out in the Martinez sweepstakes. The Chicago White Sox have been a team that has been rumored to be a fit. But, would Martinez want to go to a rebuilding team in the middle of his prime? My guess is probably not. If J.D. is smart, heā€™ll realize the options are limited and the Red Sox will continue to look better and better to come back to in 2020. He knows how talented the Red Sox are:Ā Chris Sale,Ā David Price,Ā Eduardo Rodriguez,Ā Xander Bogaerts,Ā Rafael Devers,Ā Andrew Benintendiā€¦do I need to go on? This Red Sox team is extremely talented on paper and can make a run in 2020 if all goes well. Why J.D. Martinez would want to take a gamble on another team at this point is beyond me. You have all of this talent surrounding you and then, you would go to another team and start over again? That doesnā€™t make a lot of sense. Martinez knows how good this team can be, just look at 2018. Imagine how upset Martinez would be going from a potential 100 win team to a 70-80 win team? Yikes!

https://www.believeinbostonsports.com/2019/10/31/will-j-d-martinez-opt-in-or-out/

Ā 

52 minutes ago, Sarava said:

My gut says he doesn't opt out. He has until tomorrow. I think if he was opting out, he would of done it already (as some Boras guys already have like Strasburg). Boras and JD might worry that he doesn't even get the $62.5 mil he is owed out on the free agent market. That or maybe he doesn't want to play for the teams that likely would offer him a good contractĀ (like the Sox?).

Well he is probably learning about his market right now and seeing if it is worth it to opt out. IfĀ he doesn't we go to plan B. I'd try to get Stras and Grandal.Ā 

Edited by SonofaRoache

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well he is probably learning about his market right now and seeing if it is worth it to opt out. He he doesn't we go to plan B. I'd try ļ»æto get Strasļ»æ and Grandalļ»æ.Ā ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ

I'd love that. I'd just be shocked if Strasburg actually leaves the Nats. I don't think we should look at that as anything but highly unlikely (like less than a 1% chance).

36 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'd love that. I'd just be shocked if Strasburg actually leaves the Nats. I don't think we should look at that as anything but highly unlikely (like less than a 1% chance).

Stras is a strong Nats lean, real strong. But money does talk. We will see if Steve Stone is right about the main guys opting out and us being on top of them. Will we be surprised like Sox mouth piece Stone says?Ā 

57 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Strasburg only had 3 days to decide. JDM has 5. Thatā€™s why he is taking longer.Ā 

These guys have a limited window to set themselves up for the rest of lives. Few (if any)Ā choose championship potential over cold hard cash.

Had P.T. Barnum 2.0 offered Manny and/or Bryce the most money, they would be playing for us.

The same will true for any other FA that is or will be out there.

I'd love to see Cole and Stras come in and anchor this pitchingĀ staff. What a breath-taking starting rotation that could be.Ā 

Alas,Ā I have no faith he will ever treat this team as the major market powerhouse it should have always been.Ā 

Barnum 2.0 is not a sportsman.

He's an egotistical businessman who gets off on owning sports teams and has determined how to make boatloads of cash without being remotely competitive.Ā 

The Jordan era set him up for life - given the Bulls haven't been to the Finals in 20 years.Ā Ā It may another 20 years before they get there again as elite NBA difference makers Ā avoid playing for Reinsdorf en masse.

His schtick is the circus of sporting events which distractsĀ from the reality on the field/court.

And he is not the only owner that utilizes this paradigm. He does excel at it though.

And to his many apologists, I was a Sox/Bulls fan before him and will be one after him.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by GradMc

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

There arenā€™t many teams that can afford the services of J.D. Martinez. First off, he isnā€™t as good in the outfield as he is as an everyday American League DH. That means a lot of the National League teams will be out in the Martinez sweepstakes. The Chicago White Sox have been a team that has been rumored to be a fit. But, would Martinez want to go to a rebuilding team in the middle of his prime? My guess is probably not. If J.D. is smart, heā€™ll realize the options are limited and the Red Sox will continue to look better and better to come back to in 2020. He knows how talented the Red Sox are:Ā Chris Sale,Ā David Price,Ā Eduardo Rodriguez,Ā Xander Bogaerts,Ā Rafael Devers,Ā Andrew Benintendiā€¦do I need to go on? This Red Sox team is extremely talented on paper and can make a run in 2020 if all goes well. Why J.D. Martinez would want to take a gamble on another team at this point is beyond me. You have all of this talent surrounding you and then, you would go to another team and start over again? That doesnā€™t make a lot of sense. Martinez knows how good this team can be, just look at 2018. Imagine how upset Martinez would be going from a potential 100 win team to a 70-80 win team? Yikes!

https://www.believeinbostonsports.com/2019/10/31/will-j-d-martinez-opt-in-or-out/

Ā 

This is just some Red Sox bloggerā€™s opinion and means absolutelyĀ nothing.