JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

All you really have to do is look around the league and realize there aren't many options. If no NL teams were that interested 2 years ago, they wouldn't be now.

As badly as I would want him, I've been saying for months he's probably not opting out.

I am completely fine with it.  Didn't love the Martinez fit from day 1.  While obviously I wouldn't have been mad if they signed him, I feel there are much better ways to build the team (with the assumption that Jose Abreu will be around). 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

His salary drops $4.5M for 21-22.  While $4.5M isn't a ton in baseball terms, that is almost a 20% decrease.  As I said, he was never going to beat $23.75M in AAV in 2020. 

Sure but if teams didnt find him worth his salary this year, with basic aging regression he certainly wouldnt be worth his salary next year at 4.5 million less.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am completely fine with it.  Didn't love the Martinez fit from day 1.  While obviously I wouldn't have been mad if they signed him, I feel there are much better ways to build the team (with the assumption that Jose Abreu will be around). 

The problem is if we miss on Grandal, there really aren’t any other high impact positional guys in free agency.  Having JDM as an insurance policy was nice.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is if we miss on Grandal, there really aren’t any other high impact positional guys in free agency.  Having JDM as an insurance policy was nice.

Yep, definitely don't disagree with that.  Makes not missing on Grandal pretty important.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He would be a year older. Hed be giving away the most valuable year of the contract, this year. If a team was not willing to beat the offer to capture this year, they will be even less willing to beat it without the youngest and projected best year of the deal.

He also gets paid $4.4 million more in 2020 than in 2021 or 2022. 

If he has a big year again, 2 years and $40 million would be more money than he is owed. Plus there may be more suitors. Right now he is at White Sox maybe Texas. Next year it could be a few more. 

At any rate, no need to cry for him. He has all the money he will ever need.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He also gets paid $4.4 million more in 2020 than in 2021 or 2022. 

If he has a big year again, 2 years and $40 million would be more money than he is owed. Plus there may be more suitors. Right now he is at White Sox maybe Texas. Next year it could be a few more. 

At any rate, no need to cry for him. He has all the money he will ever need.

4.4 million is like .5 WAR in these negotiations. For his age most models will show similar regression from this year to next to cancel out that value. I hear what you're saying but the later you get into your thirties the less likely a team is to invest in you. 

Given how long it took JD to get this contract signed In the first place i think it's safe to say the market isnt in JDs favor.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

4.4 million is like .5 WAR in these negotiations. For his age most models will show similar regression from this year to next to cancel out that value. I hear what you're saying but the later you get into your thirties the less likely a team is to invest in you. 

Given how long it took JD to get this contract signed In the first place i think it's safe to say the market isnt in JDs favor.

It all comes down to which teams need a DH. If it’s Cleveland and Oakland, he has to live with what he has. The other thing to consider is it is possible the NL gets the DH in 2021. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It all comes down to which teams need a DH. If it’s Cleveland and Oakland, he has to live with what he has. The other thing to consider is it is possible the NL gets the DH in 2021. 

Good point; regarding DH. I think we're further away from that change than next CBA but you never know.