JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is just some Red Sox blogger’s opinion and means absolutely nothing.

You are correct,  but there is some logic to his thought. One thing though, it was supposedly pretty miserable around that team even when they won 108 games and the WS. Its possible he is looking to get out of there.  It is still Boras and the Whits Sox didn't stick around too long for Bryce Harper last year. 

Apparently, one of the other points is how much he likes a Boston and went out of his way to go to Fenway as a teenager.

Have a feeling he’ll feel he owes a fully healthy season to the Red Sox, with the belief they’re a lot closer to getting back to the a World Series in the next two seasons than other interested teams.

Can the Twins or Indians afford him?  Not really.  Tampa is out.  The Toronto surface would be hard on him.  Difficult to imagine the Angels with Pujols and Ohtani.  The Mariners really don’t make sense.  Not many options.   Rangers, if they want to keep Gallo off the field, maybe.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

You are correct,  but there is some logic to his thought. One thing though, it was supposedly pretty miserable around that team even when they won 108 games and the WS. Its possible he is looking to get out of there.  It is still Boras and the Whits Sox didn't stick around too long for Bryce Harper last year. 

I think JDM’s #1 priority right now is money.  If he feels the Rangers or White Sox are prepared to tack on an extra year to his existing 3/$63M deal I think he opts-out.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is just some Red Sox blogger’s opinion and means absolutely nothing.

I would add that Martinez has to decide on opting in/out well before he knows how the roster will be changed going into next season. if they decide to trade Betts, they may not be in contention next year. Chris Sales health is also a major factor. So I am not sure JD is assured Boston will be competitive for a playoff spot next year. Now he can opt out and try and choose a team in AL that will pay him and looks to be competitive. 

Edited by SCCWS

Just now, SCCWS said:

I would add that Martinez has to decide on opting in/out well before hew knows how the roster will be changed going into next season. if they decide to trade Betts, they may not be in contention next year. Chris Sales health is also a major factor. So I am not sure JD is assured Boston will be competitive for a playoff spot next year. Now he can opt out and try and choose a team in AL that will pay him and looks to be competitive. 

But he can trust the White Sox to add frontline pitching?   It’s not like we can guarantee Wheeler and all the other pieces it would take to make the Sox look like a solid bet in 2020 in advance.   Based on track records, I can’t imagine the level of faith in the Boras camp runs all that high in terms of the Sox payroll being in the $145-150 million range it would take to really compete from April 1st.

Just a hunch, but Texas somehow seems likelier opening a new stadium...but they’re supposedly only willing to spend $30 million in new money on top of last year’s payroll.

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I would add that Martinez has to decide on opting in/out well before he knows how the roster will be changed going into next season. if they decide to trade Betts, they may not be in contention next year. Chris Sales health is also a major factor. So I am not sure JD is assured Boston will be competitive for a playoff spot next year. Now he can opt out and try and choose a team in AL that will pay him and looks to be competitive. 

He’s not going to have a lot of options though.  While I’d personally prioritize Grandal, I think a White Sox / JDM pairing is too logical for both sides and will likely happen.  The White Sox get a big name to sell to their fanbase (in addition to an elite bat) and JDM gets more years / money while moving to an up-and-coming team that won’t have a Yankees caliber team in their way (sorry Twins & Indians aren’t nearly as good).

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

There aren’t many teams that can afford the services of J.D. Martinez. First off, he isn’t as good in the outfield as he is as an everyday American League DH. That means a lot of the National League teams will be out in the Martinez sweepstakes. The Chicago White Sox have been a team that has been rumored to be a fit. But, would Martinez want to go to a rebuilding team in the middle of his prime? My guess is probably not. If J.D. is smart, he’ll realize the options are limited and the Red Sox will continue to look better and better to come back to in 2020. He knows how talented the Red Sox are: Chris Sale, David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez, Xander Bogaerts, Rafael Devers, Andrew Benintendi…do I need to go on? This Red Sox team is extremely talented on paper and can make a run in 2020 if all goes well. Why J.D. Martinez would want to take a gamble on another team at this point is beyond me. You have all of this talent surrounding you and then, you would go to another team and start over again? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Martinez knows how good this team can be, just look at 2018. Imagine how upset Martinez would be going from a potential 100 win team to a 70-80 win team? Yikes!

https://www.believeinbostonsports.com/2019/10/31/will-j-d-martinez-opt-in-or-out/

He wasn't on a 100 win team this year.

I think the actual issue here is how JDM responds if Boston decides it can’t afford him/doesn’t want him back.

Someone mentioned a plausible scenario where they have a handshake agreement that if he agrees to opt out, they won’t give him a QO.

JDM could force it, he has a contract, but it would be a weird situation. If he opts in and they keep Betts this year, Sox should see what repercussions are in who they prioritize sending out.

If you were JDM would you bank on JR and Boras hammering out an agreement that is financially better than what the Red Sox gave you?

I know someday the White Sox will spend money guys like me laugh at every time it is speculated they are about to do, and because of the Manny fiasco, they will spend on someone this winter,but with a Boras guy?

As an insider, I am certainly fake, but Stones names seem right. Someone who may or may not know, but has White Sox connections told me, MadBum. 

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you were JDM would you bank on JR and Boras hammering out an agreement that is financially better than what the Red Sox gave you?

I know someday the White Sox will spend money guys like me laugh at every time it is speculated they are about to do, and because of the Manny fiasco, they will spend on someone this winter,but with a Boras guy?

As an insider, I am certainly fake, but Stones names seem right. Someone who may or may not know, but has White Sox connections told me, MadBum. 

I think they will have a gentleman's agreement in place through back channels. I wouldn't worry about that if I were him. No way he opts out of a three year deal unless Boras knows what teams will be willing to offer him. 

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s also obvious JDM was the one all along he was referring to about opting out the other day (he then clarified yesterday)

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think he and/or Wheeler will be our targets for the high rated starter and both will get similar $.  But I do think the Giants will want to keep him. I think Wheeler may be easier to get. 

On 11/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Little game...you get 15 points to spend for the major signings of the off season, take your pick 

Cole(12), Strasburg(12), Wheeler(5), Bum(5), Ryu(5), Ordorizzi(3) , Keuchel(3), Pineda(2), Hamels(2), Roark(2)

Rendon(12), JDM(5) or Grandal(5)

Ozuna(4), Castellanos(4), Moustakas(3), Encarnacion (3), Puig(2), Dickerson(2), Gardner(2)

Will Smith(4), Will Harris(2), Daniel Hudson(2), Betances(2)

Pineda 2,  Keuchel 3, Moustakas 3 , Dickerson 2, Grandal 5

• Thanks 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

If he opts out, how quickly are you guys expecting him to reach a deal with a new team?

Only way he opts out is is he has a guaranteed $70 million on the table. I'm not sure I'd want to go beyond three years with an aging, bat only player. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

February. 

Timing on free agency is really tough to predict, but if JDM opts out, I feel like his timing may be a bit quicker than that.  I would assume he has a pretty good idea that someone is willing to beat his current 3/$63 he has left on his deal if he does in fact opt out today, 

At this point, I think JD doesn't out out, takes his $23.75M for 2020, and then opts out after next year when his salary reduces to $19.35M.  Going to be tough for him to beat $23.75M AAV for 2020.