JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Probably because he's done ethically questionable things countless times in his career on behalf of countless clients, and he doesn't see this as risking his agency.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised you think everyone involved is squeaky clean and doing everything by the book when there are millions of dollars on the line.

Just like anything in the financial world, I think the majority are willing to push the limits of the lawĀ but there are very firm red lines that the vast majority would never pass.Ā 

Obviously in a league in which an executive hacked and stole information from another organization, anything is possible. I would also say its extremely unlikely, and given Boras' status in the game I'd error on the side of Boras not pushing the limits beyond the gray areas of negotiating as the risk for him simply is not worth the reward.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My theory is scott boras, again, is not risking his agency and license in the name of JD martinez of opting out. Why you think he is, I will never know.

Maybe scott knows a team is interested In the position but he certainly has no idea what the dollar figures are.

Well it happens all the time. Unless of course, you think Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all woke up one day and decided to play together and that Miami clearing space was all three before FA started was a "coincidence". Scott Boras can't talk to the Sox directly, but he can talk to a friend of a friend of a friend of Hahn's and get his opinion about potential Sox news and goings on.Ā 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well it happens all the time. Unless of course, you think Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all woke up one day and decided to play together and that Miami clearing space was all three before FA started was a "coincidence". Scott Boras can't talk to the Sox directly, but he can talk to a friend of a friend of a friend of Hahn's and get his opinion about potential Sox news and goings on.Ā 

Players talking amongst themselves to say they'll play together as friends is not tampering between agents and teams. In fact, it's really hard to claim it's against the rules. Every team in the nba cleared space for that off season.

Basketball is also a capped sport which makes it no where near similar to baseball.

The thing you pointed to above is nothing like Boras calling the sox and saying "we'll opt out if you tell me you'll offer this much for JD."Ā 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Getting caught tampering is like getting caught using roids. Sure it sucks and hits the pride hard, but you still get to keep the 100 million dollars you earned.Ā 

Sure, so name me one team that has ever been caught doing this.

The only tampering you see in the MLB is players saying a certain guy would look good as their teammates (which is a laughable claim of tampering), and Joe Maddon to the Cubs.Ā 

There has not even been an investigation into the "tampering" that is being claimed as likely in this thread; not one. So either all these teams have done an incredible job at hiding this entire aspect of negotiations - meaning MLB teams have willingly given Agents more power than the CBA negotiatedĀ for them - because we've never even had a case brought forward for it.Ā 

Teams just publicly saying they like a player who is under contract - or even being complimentary of said player - is a tampering violation. Teams directly discussing compensation while under contract with another team? Significantly worse than the above.Ā 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Players talking amongst themselves to say they'll play together as friends is not tampering between agents and teams. In fact, it's really hard to claim it's against the rules.

Basketball is also a capped sport which makes it no where near similar to baseball.

The thing you pointed to above is nothing like Boras calling the sox and saying "we'll opt out if you tell me you'll offer this much for JD."Ā 

But the Miami Heat cleared the exact space necessary to sign three Max contracts. No other team did that because no other team believed they had a shot in hell at signing 3 Hall of Famers in one off season. I'm certain Miami just guessed correctly and didn't speak to them at all, which would have been illegal. I never said Boras would call the Sox, I said he would use back channels to get information.Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

But the Miami Heat cleared the exact space necessary to sign three Max contracts. No other team did that because no other team believed they had a shot in hell at signing 3 Hall of Famers in one off season. I'm certain Miami just guessed correctly and didn't speak to them at all, which would have been illegal. I never said Boras would call the Sox, I said he would use back channels to get information.Ā 

Miami cleared that space after those players had opted out and became free agents.

They also did not sign bosh, wade and lebron to max contracts. Those players agreed to take less to play together. Again, these things are nothing alike.

That said, baseball would possibly argue this is player tampering.

The immediate signing of Durant and Irving with the Nets this year within the first few minutes of free agencyĀ was almost certainly tampering to the point that the NBA changed their rules when they understood what had happened but they couldn't prove it. Much more recent example.Ā 

Deadline to extend the qualifying offer is apparently 5:00 pm eastern today...and J.D.'s opt-out is at 11:59 pm.Ā  Is he waiting to make sure they can't extend the QO?

Ā 

Disclaimer this is just based on cursory google searching, I'm seeing conflicting info on dates on some sites.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The immediate signing of Durant and Irving with the Nets this year within the first few minutes of free agencyĀ was almost certainly tampering to the point that the NBA changed their rules when they understood what had happened but they couldn't prove it. Much more recent example.Ā 

Sure, but I've asked for baseball comps not basketball; basketball is suffering from player tampering not agent led tampering.

9 minutes ago, username said:

Deadline to extend the qualifying offer is apparently 5:00 pm eastern today...and J.D.'s opt-out is at 11:59 pm.Ā  Is he waiting to make sure they can't extend the QO?

Ā 

Disclaimer this is just based on cursory google searching, I'm seeing conflicting info on dates on some sites.

JDM is not a free agent until he opts out. Can Boston even offer him the QO if he is still technically on the roster? This is weird.Ā 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but I've asked for baseball comps not basketball; basketball is suffering from player tampering not agent led tampering.

Baseball is better at getting away with cheating. I'm pretty sure agents are involved with the tampering as players would certainly keep their agent in the loop. Obviously, none of us can prove things one way or the other.Ā 

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-qualifying-offer-candidates-and-updates

Red Sox: J.D. Martinez (DH)
Note: Martinez will become a FA if he opts out of remaining 3 years/$62.5 million on his contract

What would the free-agent market be like for a superstar DH? Martinez could opt out and test the waters after another All-Star year in Boston, when he hit .304 with 36 home runs, 105 RBIs and a .939 OPS.

If Martinez does not decide on the opt out by 5 p.m. ET on Monday, the Red Sox can extend him a conditional qualifying offer that would take effect should he eventually opt out. The deadline for Martinez's opt-out decision is midnight (heading into Tuesday).

Draft pick compensation: After 4th round

5 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Note: Martinez will become a FA if he opts out of remaining 3 years/$62.5 million on his contract

What would the free-agent market be like for a superstar DH? Martinez could opt out and test the waters after another All-Star year in Boston, when he hit .304 with 36 home runs, 105 RBIs and a .939 OPS.

If Martinez does not decide on the opt out by 5 p.m. ET on Monday, the Red Sox can extend him a conditional qualifying offer that would take effect should he eventually opt out. The deadline for Martinez's opt-out decision is midnight (heading into Tuesday).

Good find!Ā  Thanks.Ā  Was surprising I couldn't find anything on it.

12 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

If he opts out then Boston can offer him a QO.Ā 

But what is being said is that Boston has until 5pm to offer him the QO. In turn, JDM doesn't have to decide until midnight if he will opt out. I'm not certain of the accuracy of this info, but it is confusing but answered.Ā 

Edited by SonofaRoache

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

But what is being said is that Boston has until 5pm to offer him the QO. In turn, JDM doesn't have to decide until midnight if he will opt out. I'm not certain of the accuracy of this info, but it is confusing but answered.Ā 

I posted what happens a couple post up about 5pm ET QO vs him opting out.Ā 

15 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Wait, so as long as he opts out by 5 PM ET, he can't have a QO attached to him?