JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

14 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The only reason Boston offers him a QO is to get the pick, betting he does not take it.  They do not wan't to spend money on him.

plus, maybe NOT offering him a QO, will incentivize him to leave since they want to rid themselves of money.  I bet that's whats happening here.  I don't think they will offer him a QO, to insure he opts out.

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Add Eric Thames to the list of affordable short term DH options that would move the needle for the lineup but leave the big money for other acquisitions, and not stand in the way of prospects in case they start to force their way into the MLB 

LH w solid power numbers. But 35% SO rate.  He would move the needle.

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

plus, maybe NOT offering him a QO, will incentivize him to leave since they want to rid themselves of money.  I bet that's whats happening here.  I don't think they will offer him a QO, to insure he opts out.

Somebody mentioned it a couple days ago, maybe they will have some type of gentleman's agreement.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Add Eric Thames to the list of affordable short term DH options that would move the needle for the lineup but leave the big money for other acquisitions, and not stand in the way of prospects in case they start to force their way into the MLB 

Will this thing get announced at 11PM? 

1 hour ago, aeichhor said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-qualifying-offer-candidates-and-updates

Red Sox: J.D. Martinez (DH)
Note: Martinez will become a FA if he opts out of remaining 3 years/$62.5 million on his contract

What would the free-agent market be like for a superstar DH? Martinez could opt out and test the waters after another All-Star year in Boston, when he hit .304 with 36 home runs, 105 RBIs and a .939 OPS.

If Martinez does not decide on the opt out by 5 p.m. ET on Monday, the Red Sox can extend him a conditional qualifying offer that would take effect should he eventually opt out. The deadline for Martinez's opt-out decision is midnight (heading into Tuesday).

Draft pick compensation: After 4th round

When Dombro stepped down last day the Red Sox analysts were pretty much assuming that JDM would stay put. It would not be shocking that someone would consider 4x25 if they really needed some offense. Maybe even a team in Chicago. Castellanos is a doubles machine but pretty clumsy on foot from what I have seen with the Tigs. He really stepped up for the Cubs so I expect an offer coming his way to stay right there. I think the really tall guys like KB and Castellanos tend to have trouble with their footwork in the infield.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re assuming he has a monster year for that to be the case...

Not really.  I don't think he was going to beat $23.75M in AAV in 2020.  And his salary drops to $19.25M next year.  Which means if he has another JD Martinez-like season, he can opt out a year from and easily beat 2/$38.5M.  If he doesn't, he just doesn't opt out.  Seems like the way safer route, unless he knew someone was going to give him a 4 year deal at ~$20M AAV, which quite obviously he didn't.  

Edited by ChiSox59