Edwin Encarnacion - DH

steveno89

To me it seems obvious that the Sox could be the primary suitor for Encarnacion, as not that many teams need help at DH, and our need is glaring. We absolutely cannot go into 2020 with the DH being Palka/Collins and hope to have any chance at contention.

Encarnacion is still a solid hitter, and would offer lineup protection in the middle of the order. He's aging, but still has pop and takes walks. I see no risk in a one year deal for 10-12 million. 

• Like 1

Yah, I think its a natural fit if they miss out on Grandal.

Or, in a less likely scenario, Abreu rejects QO and signs elsewhere.

EE is going to be cheap. He has legitimately no suitors.  On a 1 year deal with a team option (similar to deal Nelson Cruz got from Twins last offseason), seems like a decent backup plan. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I think its a natural fit if they miss out on Grandal.

Or, in a less likely scenario, Abreu rejects QO and signs elsewhere.

EE is going to be cheap. He has legitimately no suitors.  On a 1 year deal with a team option (similar to deal Nelson Cruz got from Twins last offseason), seems like a decent backup plan. 

Ideal realistic offseason would be:

Wheeler/MBum/Ryu as our primary pitching target. This is going to be a costly addition, but sorely needed for rotation stability and quality. 

Add Grandal to be starting catcher, McCann back him up. Likely going to be a 3-4 year deal worth around $18 million.

Sign Encarnacion to a reasonable one year deal, 1/$8-12 million

Resign Abreu to a reasonable one year deal, he would be smart to accept the qualifying offer. I do not want to go multi year with him at this stage. 

Sign or Trade for a RF. Calhoun/Puig/Gardner/Dickerson could be FA possibilities? Gardner might be reasonable due to age on a one year deal?

Sign a backend starting pitcher, Keuchel on the higher end, Roark/Wood/Gibson/Porcello/Miley/Hill/Gonzalez/Bailey/etc. Plenty of choices

Sign a pen arm, lots of choices exist

This would improve the club quite a bit in 2020, but not tie up 2021 payroll onward moving forward, providing flexibility next offseason to tweak.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, EE seems like a foregone conclusion at this point.

After how poor the DH position has been, Encarnacion would be welcome veteran stability. Substantially better than any in house option and he should not require more than a one year deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hells no.  They're not at the point where they should be signing 30+ year old fill ins.  This is an off season to add core impact players.  Sign the veteran lighning in a bottle help get you over the top guys next off season.  

He is the best DH available in free agency, is still a good hitter, and would not require more than a one year, reasonable deal. I never said he should be the major offseason addition, but he will help. 

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hells no.  They're not at the point where they should be signing 30+ year old fill ins.  This is an off season to add core impact players.  Sign the veteran lighning in a bottle help get you over the top guys next off season.  

So potentially burn another year of Moncada & Giolito control?

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

Ideal realistic offseason would be:

Wheeler/MBum/Ryu as our primary pitching target. This is going to be a costly addition, but sorely needed for rotation stability and quality. 

Add Grandal to be starting catcher, McCann back him up. Likely going to be a 3-4 year deal worth around $18 million.

Sign Encarnacion to a reasonable one year deal, 1/$8-12 million

Resign Abreu to a reasonable one year deal, he would be smart to accept the qualifying offer. I do not want to go multi year with him at this stage. 

Sign or Trade for a RF. Calhoun/Puig/Gardner/Dickerson could be FA possibilities? Gardner might be reasonable due to age on a one year deal?

Sign a backend starting pitcher, Keuchel on the higher end, Roark/Wood/Gibson/Porcello/Miley/Hill/Gonzalez/Bailey/etc. Plenty of choices

Sign a pen arm, lots of choices exist

This would improve the club quite a bit in 2020, but not tie up 2021 payroll onward moving forward, providing flexibility next offseason to tweak.

I don't think the Sox are ready to give up on or trade Zack Collins.  Signing both Grandal and EE would leave him with no role on the team.

3 minutes ago, Capital G said:

If we sign Grandal I don't see a reason to sign EE. You rotate first/DH with Grandal/Abreu/Collins.

If we lose out on Grandal I am all for signing EE on a one year deal.

Is there any indication the Sox have any interest in Grandal?

I have a feeling they're content with McCann.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They already did that when they fucked up last off season.  

Soooooooooooo, just keep doing it then?

And you know you can sign both impact players and filler players at the same time right?

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I don't think the Sox are ready to give up on or trade Zack Collins.  Signing both Grandal and EE would leave him with no role on the team.

I'm not giving up on Collins, but he should be in AAA and not granted a MLB roster spot.

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

None that can quote from a Sox source. Just have seen his name tossed around often and I believe (I could be wrong) that we had interest in him last year.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Like I said I want them to add core players.  They should have added those players last off season but failed. Now I don't want them chasing 30+ year old fill ins.  That's a recipe for disaster especially with these clowns.  

They're not going to add core players at every need. But they can maybe add a core guy in RF (would have to be thru trade IMO) and at C (with Grandal), plus in the pitching department (Wheeler/Ryu/MadBum and Betances).

Encarnacion can split time with Collins who plays C/1B/DH. McCann with Grandal becomes a backup/Giolito personal catcher. Then EE is a one year stop gap to Vaughn who is a piece of the core. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

We all know McCann will turn in a 0.5-1.0 WAR season if he's the starter in 2020, and we will be stuck without a quality starting catching option in 2021 onward when we really want to contend. Grandal locks the position down for the next 3-4 seasons. He also has no QO attached. 

I'm pounding the table for Grandal, McCann's first half was a total fluke buoyed by an over .400 BABIP that won't be repeated. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

We all know McCann will turn in a 0.5-1.0 WAR season if he's the starter in 2020, and we will be stuck without a quality starting catching option in 2021 onward when we really want to contend. Grandal locks the position down for the next 3-4 seasons. He also has no QO attached. 

I'm pounding the table for Grandal, McCann's first half was a total fluke buoyed by an over .400 BABIP that won't be repeated. 

Steven, the more I read your tweets, the more I think you're reading my mind. I'm 100% with you. If they thought Collins, Mercedes or Zavala were part of the catching future, they would've done it more last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, wsox05 said:

Steven, the more I read your tweets, the more I think you're reading my mind. I'm 100% with you. If they thought Collins, Mercedes or Zavala were part of the catching future, they would've done it more last year. 

Thanks

We all want studs at every position, but I'd feel better heading into 2020 with EE at DH over crappy internal options. The dude can still hit bombs.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Would you go for a 37 year old EE at 1/$10 or Moose for 2/$24?

I'm more inclined to go 1/10 with EE and provide more flexibility going into 2021. Moustakas is not bad in the field, and would likely want more than a DH role considering his ability to play 3B and 2B in a pinch. 

One year deals for Abreu and EE essentially would become an in house competition to see who gets signed back for 2021 as Vaughn could be knocking on the MLB door