Edwin Encarnacion - DH

steveno89

11 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Expecting playoffs? Absolutely not.

Collins has not shown enough to be our DH, and banking on Realmuto next year would be a mistake. Grab Grandal and EE now, along with two starting pitchers and either trade for or sign a RF. 

I know a trade might be coming and I would be in favor of most upgrades. I think Grandal would be a very good acquisition. I'm just concerned that Grandal plus other areas of need push the payroll too high for this year  when next year will give us more time to assess areas of true need , Right now with so many young players it's real hard to pinpoint exactly what we need .Yes we know we need LH balance and more power, OBP, and pitching . My true hope is that by adding the pitching and that Kopech etc will rise to become what we all hope they will. I also hope Rodon and Dunning can also show signs of adding to that strength from which we can deal from. Stopgap option in areas other than pitching might be the way to go as long as we find talent that has been good consistently (Moustaskas) or whose value isn't appreciated  (Dickerson). Or maybe a guy who is only a year removed from being very good (2018 All-Star ) like Gennett,  but stunk because of injuries but won't be 30 until May. They all should be much easier to sign then others but provide a lot of upside and depth . Undervalued.

Right now there is very little to trade who isn't the part of the expected core and they really do need the time to show what they have. If we don't find that out such as with Collins and the others we just don't have the payroll to keep filling roles with free agents.

Despite what you personally think of Collins he did go back down the the minors, made adjustments and showed he is capable of more not just with the bat but as a catcher too. Remember people thought we were selling high on Narvaez , one of our best OBP guys, and he turned around and went even higher and might go higher still. The Sox just cannot afford to abandon ship on the very reasons why they rebuilt.

The board is filled with people telling us Collins won't make it, McCann is the same McCann he was in Detroit, our OF prospects won't make it . Remember all the doubters of Giolito and Moncada ? Stay the course , don't trade prospects, don't bail out Boston's problems , don't take on bad contracts , don't trade for rentals, Almost everything we need could already be here whether it's Collins,Mercedes or any one of Basabe, Rutherford, Walker, Gonzalez or Adolfo, Continue to look for  talent in the minors who seem blocked by guys ahead of them in the majors and undervalued guys in the majors. Maybe one day we can find a Tatis or a Muncy or a Yordan Alvarez or Juan Soto or to a lesser degree Trauchman, Mercado and Luplow. . Right when some of these guys are starting to blossom is no reason to trim the garden . Let it grow into something beautiful and strong..

Time and time again we hear how development isn't linear. It's time we started believing that. How strong would the Sox look right now with Tatis and Semien or even Narvaez.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know a trade might be coming and I would be in favor of most upgrades. I think Grandal would be a very good acquisition. I'm just concerned that Grandal plus other areas of need push the payroll too high for this year  when next year will give us more time to assess areas of true need , Right now with so many young players it's real hard to pinpoint exactly what we need .Yes we know we need LH balance and more power, OBP, and pitching . My true hope is that by adding the pitching and that Kopech etc will rise to become what we all hope they will. I also hope Rodon and Dunning can also show signs of adding to that strength from which we can deal from. Stopgap option in areas other than pitching might be the way to go as long as we find talent that has been good consistently (Moustaskas) or whose value isn't appreciated  (Dickerson). Or maybe a guy who is only a year removed from being very good (2018 All-Star ) like Gennett,  but stunk because of injuries but won't be 30 until May. They all should be much easier to sign then others but provide a lot of upside and depth . Undervalued.

Right now there is very little to trade who isn't the part of the expected core and they really do need the time to show what they have. If we don't find that out such as with Collins and the others we just don't have the payroll to keep filling roles with free agents.

Despite what you personally think of Collins he did go back down the the minors, made adjustments and showed he is capable of more not just with the bat but as a catcher too. Remember people thought we were selling high on Narvaez , one of our best OBP guys, and he turned around and went even higher and might go higher still. The Sox just cannot afford to abandon ship on the very reasons why they rebuilt.

The board is filled with people telling us Collins won't make it, McCann is the same McCann he was in Detroit, our OF prospects won't make it . Remember all the doubters of Giolito and Moncada ? Stay the course , don't trade prospects, don't bail out Boston's problems , don't take on bad contracts , don't trade for rentals, Almost everything we need could already be here whether it's Collins,Mercedes or any one of Basabe, Rutherford, Walker, Gonzalez or Adolfo, Continue to look for  talent in the minors who seem blocked by guys ahead of them in the majors and undervalued guys in the majors. Maybe one day we can find a Tatis or a Muncy or a Yordan Alvarez or Juan Soto or to a lesser degree Trauchman, Mercado and Luplow. . Right when some of these guys are starting to blossom is no reason to trim the garden . Let it grow into something beautiful and strong..

Time and time again we hear how development isn't linear. It's time we started believing that. How strong would the Sox look right now with Tatis and Semien or even Narvaez.

Jose Ramirez (not so much last season until second half) also comes to mind...that guy all of a sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, became a legit MVP candidate.

The last time we experienced that with an acquisition was Carlos Quentin for five months in 2008, and Alexei Ramirez.  

Other than Quintana, there's nobody that really fits into the "diamond in the rough" category.  With all of the available "open/free" playing time, we've only managed to come up with Bummer, Narvaez (since traded), Fry and the most successful "non-core" position player was Yolmer, who the majority of board is excited to see launched into space.  That's pretty abysmal for THREE years.

Along with Yolmer, Avi never lived up to his ONE truly outstanding season, and could never stay healthy enough to even consider signing to a 2-3-4 year extension into his FA years.

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

32 coming off a partially torn Achilles...meh

After Herrera, that would make Hahn doubling down Riverboat Gambler of the Year if he was Comeback Pitcher of the Year or first in the unemployment line if we actually held our front office accountable like most organizations.

Edited by caulfield12