Castellanos

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Yes, but I'd rather see a short term option (Calhoun or Gordon) and see if any of the outfield prospects break out next year, or a trade for a RF.  I want all the big free agency dollars going to Grandal and a good starter.

Castellanos could DH next year and play RF if one of those guys eventually break out.  He shouldn't be that expensive.

Grandal is fun and everything but he really isn't a need.  

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Castellanos could DH next year and play RF if one of those guys eventually break out.  He shouldn't be that expensive.

Grandal is fun and everything but he really isn't a need.  

Grandal is also an infuriating player to watch and I wouldn’t mind at all to see him go elsewhere. I still think Castro is a better fit if they spend big elsewhere.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Also, Castellanos is only 27. He’s less than a year older than Anderson.

I know. Me likey if this means Bye Bye Abreu

Don't get me wrong I like Jose, but he's older and they need some LH bats in the lineup. You can't have 8 RH bats in a lineup

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also, Castellanos is only 27. He’s less than a year older than Anderson.

Huh, weird, I thought he was in his lower 30s. Had no idea he was that young. Maybe just because it seems like he's played for Detroit forever.

Also, he has Cuban blood in him. 

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Huh, weird, I thought he was in his lower 30s. Had no idea he was that young. Maybe just because it seems like he's played for Detroit forever.

Also, he has Cuban blood in him. 

If he has Cuban blood does that mean he's really like 33? :cool:

• Haha 2

Castellanos gets a big meh from me.  If he gets cheap enough (2/$30M or 3/$45 type deal), he starts to make a little sense.  But he's not a RF, and a career 112 wRC+ DH is pretty underwhelming, especially if you're paying him a lot.  And then he hits with the wrong hand.

Sox need good hitters, and Castellanos I guess fits the bill.  I would need to reserve judgement to see how the rest of the roster shakes out if the Sox signed him.  On paper, I think he's a pretty poor fit.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know. Me likey if this means Bye Bye Abreu

Don't get me wrong I like Jose, but he's older and they need some LH bats in the lineup. You can't have 8 RH bats in a lineup

I don't see how anyone could realistically think Abreu is going anywhere.  He is 99.9% taking the QO, and if he is so confident in his FA stock that he rejects it, he'd only be doing the Sox a giant favor and himself a giant disservice, because he'd end up back on the Sox on like a 1/$10M deal later in the offseason.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't see how anyone could realistically think Abreu is going anywhere.  He is 99.9% taking the QO, and if he is so confident in his FA stock that he rejects it, he'd only be doing the Sox a giant favor and himself a giant disservice, because he'd end up back on the Sox on like a 1/$10M deal later in the offseason.  

Yeah not a hard concept to grasp

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think he's going anywhere, but I do think he might overestimate his market and reject the QO, after which the Sox could possibly move on. It would leave Abreu in a bad position, but I don't think that it's outside of the realm of possibility. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

49 minutes ago, wegner said:

I wouldn't mind the 4 year $58 million that MLB trade rumors guessed.  I would prefer 3 years with an option but that it probably not realistic with the year he had.

I'm pretty sure projections for 2020 have Corey Dickerson, Avi Garcia and Castellanos all very close in projected WAR.

2 minutes ago, credezcrew24 said:

In 209 PA on the south side his line is .235 .278 .383 .660

In 2019 over 26 PA his line looks a lot different .417 .462 .792 1.253

That's like one of those Kamka swap meets during the games..."You can have the guy on the top, Jason."  "Always so generous, thanks Steve."