Castellanos

Kyyle23

21 minutes ago, daggins said:

Throw this guy the Reddick contract (4/52) and see if he bites. Any more than that feels like too much.

That’s what I thought he would get before this year and I think it makes sense - but just feels like everyone thinks he’ll make more.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Wheeler will be the tough one. If I had to bet, I'd say he will be the free agent with the most teams interested in him. Everyone needs pitching and most cant afford Cole or Strasburg. He's the next prize.

Fully agree, but if the big market teams focus their attention on Cole & Strasburg, there’s no reason we can’t be one of the favorites if we’re willing to strike early.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, I mean if he’s in addition to Grandal and Wheeler and Sox can sign a glove first OF that isn’t a black hole on offense, signed me up for Castellanos all day long. I just don’t see that as it even remotely close to a realistic situation. This all also assumes that Jose Abreu is around.

All depends on the price.  But if MLBTR is right, you could get the three of them for ~$55M in AAV.  I think the Sox could afford that if they were willing to sport a $140M payroll next year (which they should), but that’s far from a guarantee.

9 hours ago, tray said:

I suggested Vaughn but maybe that's too much. Don't know, I was just thinking..

I'm not totally against moving Vaughn. I think he's our one big prospect that isn't essential to the rebuild succeeding.

That said, I would not move him for Benintendi. That would be a major overpayment IMO.

11 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't think you're getting Benintendi on a buy-low deal. Maybe you could somehow get him if you wanted to buy some of Boston's bad contracts, but you're still going to have to give up something of value.

Yesterday Rosenthal had an article suggesting we might be able to get Benintendi if we take on Price or Eovaldi's contract with it. 

19 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

If Avi could stay healthy he would probably still be in Chicago 

Yup, and while I recognize he's a defensive liability in RF I would want him to DH if Sox miss out on EE, would be a supersub off the bench if we can land both EE and Puig/Castellanos

17 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

JD Martinez is a better player than Castellanos at this very moment, but JD is 32 and Castellanos will only be 28 on Opening Day...so he might actually be a better fit for the Sox. Just something to keep in mind.

Didn't realize he really is that young, a sub-30 FA is a pretty rare find, not that I love Castellanos but I can get behind signing him to a 3/4 year deal if the money is right

15 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's probably going to want to start. 

I like the idea of Mazarra if we can get him very cheap as a 4th OF.  I don't know how realistic that is though. 

Mazara was of interest to Hahn a year ago, wonder if he still is

One of the only deals I'd be wiling to make at this point in time along with Haniger or Pederson if we aren't giving up too much

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

5 years 90 for the same stats as Avi, 27 HRS, 80 RBI and the same age. ... Interesting. What makes this guy so valuable compared to some of greg's faves who don't make a lot of cash? Hit .289. Baseball intrigues me. I guess he'd be fine to fill our RF vacancy. I did read Cubs fans want to re-sign him so there's that.

5/90 would be too much for me to support, bringing in Avi if Sox pay Grandal, Abreu, and an arm makes sense to me if DH or RF are left unadressed

Hopefully Abreu will be the full time DH in 2020 and beyond assuming Vaughn pans out so a stopgap like Avi or EE makes a lot of sense short term

14 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I feel like we've seen this movie before with Swisher. 

Now, now...I'm not holding rallies to bring in Castellanos, but I don't think anyone should be compared to that clown

43 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Yup, and while I recognize he's a defensive liability in RF I would want him to DH if Sox miss out on EE, would be a supersub off the bench if we can land both EE and Puig/Castellanos

Didn't realize he really is that young, a sub-30 FA is a pretty rare find, not that I love Castellanos but I can get behind signing him to a 3/4 year deal if the money is right

Mazara was of interest to Hahn a year ago, wonder if he still is

One of the only deals I'd be wiling to make at this point in time along with Haniger or Pederson if we aren't giving up too much

5/90 would be too much for me to support, bringing in Avi if Sox pay Grandal, Abreu, and an arm makes sense to me if DH or RF are left unadressed

Hopefully Abreu will be the full time DH in 2020 and beyond assuming Vaughn pans out so a stopgap like Avi or EE makes a lot of sense short term

Now, now...I'm not holding rallies to bring in Castellanos, but I don't think anyone should be compared to that clown

The big part of what I said is "if avi could stay healthy".  

he can't. Never has.  Zero interest in paying him more money 

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The big part of what I said is "if avi could stay healthy".  

he can't. Never has.  Zero interest in paying him more money 

What if it's for relative pennies if/when CWS miss out on EE and Castellanos/Puig? Not that I' saying Avi is a must but a quality stop gap for a season worst case scenario

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What if it's for relative pennies if/when CWS miss out on EE and Castellanos/Puig? Not that I' saying Avi is a must but a quality stop gap for a season worst case scenario

Much more interested in Castellanos and Puig.  I'm spending zero time on Avi.  He isn't a quality stop gap because he misses minimum 20-30 games a season

6 hours ago, Sarava said:

I'm not totally against moving Vaughn. I think he's our one big prospect that isn't essential to the rebuild succeeding.

That said, I would not move him for Benintendi. That would be a major overpayment IMO.

I'm not against moving Vaughn and Madrigal. 

If you could make a deal for a long term piece with either as the centerpiece you do it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not against moving Vaughn and Madrigal. 

If you could make a deal for a long term piece with either as the centerpiece you do it. 

Vaughn - sure.  Not really sure how the Sox can trade Madrigal at this point.  He is a perfect fit for their needs, is MLB ready, is dirt cheap for 3 seasons, and there is a gaping hole at his position.  It makes no sense to trade him.  

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Much more interested in Castellanos and Puig.  I'm spending zero time on Avi.  He isn't a quality stop gap because he misses minimum 20-30 games a season

I'm all for Castellanos or Puig if the money is right, we'll see...both of those moves let us contend next year and offer long term value

7 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Avi is better than many people we have discussed here.  If we spend a boat load on starting pitching & Grandal...a player like Avi might make sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Avi is better than many people we have discussed here.  If we spend a boat load on starting pitching & Grandal...a player like Avi might make sense.

I have a sneaky suspicion our front office thinks of Avi the way the most of this board does. I just get an anti Avi vibe and feel there's no way we reacquire him. Any insiders back me on this? While I would love the return of Avi, I bet you Hahn or KW believes he's a stiff. Just a gut feeling. Insiders?

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

20-30 games being on the DL isn't that many nowadays. How many games did Moncada and Eloy miss last season. It's a new era: guys get hurt ... a lot.

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s funny how some people don’t want Castellanos but want to bring back Avi. C’mon.

Being committed to a potential gross overpay long term vs. pennies for a stop gap...And I'm not even against Castellanos, just don't want to overpay, would probably prefer Puig

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

20-30 games being on the DL isn't that many nowadays. How many games did Moncada and Eloy miss last season. It's a new era: guys get hurt ... a lot.

Is that what the statniks say, is this the injured era 

• Haha 2