Castellanos

Kyyle23

Yea the thing is his bat really "doesn't play" for a guy without a position.  Career wRC+ of 111.  Career fWAR 10.2 in basically 6 full seasons.   He's a more consistent, healthier Avi.   What is that even worth?  Certainly not 200 million at an AAV of 20.  I would offer 5 years 90 see what he thinks.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea the thing is his bat really "doesn't play" for a guy without a position.  Career wRC+ of 111.  Career fWAR 10 in basically 6 full seasons.   He's a more consistent, healthier Avi.   What is that even worth?  Certainly not 200 million at an AAV of 20.  I would offer 5 years 90 see what he thinks.

If Avi could stay healthy he would probably still be in Chicago 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea the thing is his bat really "doesn't play" for a guy without a position.  Career wRC+ of 111.  Career fWAR 10.2 in basically 6 full seasons.   He's a more consistent, healthier Avi.   What is that even worth?  Certainly not 200 million at an AAV of 20.  I would offer 5 years 90 see what he thinks.

Who in the world ever hinted Castellanos would even get a 100 million deal let alone 200?

• Like 1

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

Don't like this if true.  Not because I wouldn't like Castellanos on the team, but because he should be far down the priority list of players they should be pursuing right now.

On the offensive side, who else would it be?  Rendon and Grandal and.....

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Who in the world ever hinted Castellanos would even get a 100 million deal let alone 200?

My apologies as I guess that is the new reality for these DH types.  The new reality for these guys might be closer to $6 million per WAR as FA than 12.  I see Fangraphs projects him at 4 years 56 million.  That is such an incredible market "correction", but after the last two off-seasons I can see it.

Good summary on him.

All that said: I don't want him even at an AAV of 12.  Rather go big with stars, not average starters at corner spots or DH.

Just read FA's take, and yea, sucks to be a DH type.

Kiley’s Take
Castellanos is very young for a free agent bat, so he may get a longer-term deal than his track record would suggest. Still, he’s posted a -28 DRS and -17.6 UZR in two full seasons as a corner outfielder, and if teams think that is his true talent level in the field, they may not be comfortable with whatever his glove will be in 2023.

Player Notes
You won’t see teams paying Castellanos big money for his .321/.356/.646 line with the Cubs, but his late-season resurgence in Chicago after a bland half-year in Detroit helped to re-establish his offensive value. The difference between a 120-plus wRC+ and a 110 wRC+ for a player with glove as weak as Castellanos’ is the difference between a DH-only role and being someone whose bat may be just enough to compensate for his poor defense if put in the right situation. Baseball doesn’t have much appetite for non-star, corner outfielders or first basemen these days, but Castellanos’ case is helped by his signing not coming with the loss of a draft pick. – DS

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I wouldn't mind the 4 year $58 million that MLB trade rumors guessed.  I would prefer 3 years with an option but that it probably not realistic with the year he had.

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I dont really want this to happen if that cubs performance is priced in

I think it had to do more with getting out of that giant fucking park + the trade.  He OPS'd over 1000 with the Cubs.  I don't think it is unrealistic at all to see him consistently in the lower 900's at GRF.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

On the offensive side, who else would it be?  Rendon and Grandal and.....

Those two and then quite a few pitchers.  I only see the Sox giving out two big contracts this offseason (at most), so if they sign Castellanos, then i think the Grandal + good starting pitcher hope is dead.  To me, Castellanos should be a backup plan if they don't land Grandal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They need a RF pretty bad.  After SP that is our biggest need.

Yes, but I'd rather see a short term option (Calhoun or Gordon) and see if any of the outfield prospects break out next year, or a trade for a RF.  I want all the big free agency dollars going to Grandal and a good starter.