Potential Deals with Boston

Lillian

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hypothetically, if it was Price + Benintendi for Bummer and Stiever, no money moving, how's that?

Hell no. 

Bummer and Stiever have surplus value, especially Bummer. That alone plus another piece would be a solid offering for Benintendi alone, let alone the awful Price contract. 

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Hell no. 

Bummer and Stiever have surplus value, especially Bummer. That alone plus another piece would be a solid offering for Benintendi alone, let alone the awful Price contract. 

A bullpen pitcher with only 1 year pre-arb remaining and a guy in the low minors? I don't think that comes close to Benintendi alone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

I like the idea of a trade with Boston that benefits the White Sox in exchange for helping Boston reduce payroll.  What about Price, Benintendi, and JDM for a package of fringe prospects?  

Not that I think they'd do it, but I'd do JDM, Sale and Benintendi for Madrigal+fringe prospects. 

I'd probably do Madrigal for Benintendi straight up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hypothetically, if it was Price + Benintendi for Bummer and Stiever, no money moving, how's that?

Sox would be getting destroyed.

Bummer is probably worth about 30 million himself (expected arbitration salaries for non-closers vs FA value for a Sub 3 reliever on FA market. Steiver, probably around 10 million. Sox would be paying an additional 40 million in addition to Price contract. I think Price has a negative surplus of about 35 million. Benetendi is worth, let's say, 45 million over the next three years. He'll get paid somewhere around 22-25 million in arbitration. His surplus is around 20 million which is less than Prices negative value. 

Therefore I think the Sox would be losing that deal by about 50 million.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is a bit dramatic. They improved by 4 wins. Crawford was basically a 2 win player for then for a couple of years, Gonzalez a 3 win player, and Beckett an injured one. With the cash outlay it wasn't that great of a deal 

The team turned from non-competitce the years prior to being a team competing every year. The results the year immediately following isnt the only one that matter - the duration of those contracts. The dodgers ate a lot of money but they also acquired three pieces that were a part of the beginning of their competitive run.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A bullpen pitcher with only 1 year pre-arb remaining and a guy in the low minors? I don't think that comes close to Benintendi alone. 

Non-closers do not get rewarded in arbitration the same way. 

Bummer has a lot of surplus value given his role. His arb years will likely pay him about 50% of what he's worth.

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not that I think they'd do it, but I'd do JDM, Sale and Benintendi for Madrigal+fringe prospects. 

This would be really bad for the White Sox. Madrigal is more valuable than Benintendi by himself. Add two aging, overpaid players on top of that, one of which is an injury prone pitcher with a lot of miles on his arm? No thanks.

37 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Boston is screwed from the standpoint they do not have any payroll flexibility to improve the roster, and their farm is one of the thinnest in the entire league. They are not good enough to contend in 2020 onward, but strapped with huge money owed to aging players

Cannot picture the Sox being willing to take on Price's contract. Just does not make sense. 

Exactly what I want CWS to avoid

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox would be getting destroyed.

Bummer is probably worth about 30 million himself (expected arbitration salaries for non-closers vs FA value for a Sub 3 reliever on FA market. Steiver, probably around 10 million. Sox would be paying an additional 40 million in addition to Price contract. I think Price has a negative surplus of about 35 million. Benetendi is worth, let's say, 45 million over the next three years. He'll get paid somewhere around 22-25 million in arbitration. His surplus is around 20 million which is less than Prices negative value. 

Therefore I think the Sox would be losing that deal by about 50 million.

I know he was down this year, but one place where you're estimating very low is Benintendi. Over the past 3 years he's been worth $67.3 million - $48 million would be continuing what he has been doing last year. 

Boston has a lot of what the White Sox are looking for this offseason.  Any of their starting three outfielders would be a better fit defensively than any of the options free agency has to offer.  If the White Sox swing and miss in free agency the right deal with Boston could make sense for both teams.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know he was down this year, but one place where you're estimating very low is Benintendi. Over the past 3 years he's been worth $67.3 million - $48 million would be continuing what he has been doing last year. 

Based on what? You cant use the FA/WAR/$ figure. That number, once again, is not how teams value their signings.

Benetendi has played 3 full years in the big leagues - two years were at a 2 WAR rate. One year was at a 4 WAR rate. 

He's averaging 2.8 WAR a year over three years. That's about $15-$17 million a year. 

That's how I get to the 45-50 million number over the next three years.

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Probably

I like Stiever, but pitchers are volatile - as made by clear by Giolito and Lopez from 2018 to 2019 and Stiever himself from one level to another. 2 years ago Hansen was untouchable, now we probably couldn't give him away.

• Like 1

As I stated before on here Benintendi could be a realistic get as he was floated apparently by the previous GM around the deadline.  

There has also been talk on non-tendering JBJ which would get them close to under the tax but they still would have holes to fill.  

It's interesting to think about especially if Benintendi regains his form and the ask from us is cheap.  I'm not sure adding Price over somebody like Wheeler is exactly a solution though.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

As I stated before on here Benintendi could be a realistic get as he was floated apparently by the previous GM around the deadline.  

There has also been talk on non-tendering JBJ which would get them close to under the tax but they still would have holes to fill.  

It's interesting to think about especially if Benintendi regains his form and the ask from us is cheap.  I'm not sure adding Price over somebody like Wheeler is exactly a solution though.

Regardless of the injuries I'd rather take the gamble on Sale. The Sox did a pretty good job of keeping him healthy. He's still great when he's on the mound. 

48 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

I like the idea of a trade with Boston that benefits the White Sox in exchange for helping Boston reduce payroll.  What about Price, Benintendi, and JDM for a package of fringe prospects?  

While a somewhat interesting thought, this would destroy the Sox financial flexibility.  Its also a video game trade that doesn't seem possible in actuality. 

It solves 2 major issues in trade rather than FA.  You get your RF (very strong) and your second SP for what 40 million, if we did this in FA we'd be spending 25 million for far inferior talent (Kuechel 15 mil and Calhoun 10 mil)?  So I'll pay the additional 15 million. We then have like 30 million left to spend?  I think you can still pursue Wheeler (20 million), and if money is left offer Encarnacion 1 year 10 million.  Payroll would be around 130million then.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

While a somewhat interesting thought, this would destroy the Sox financial flexibility.  Its also a video game trade that doesn't seem possible in actuality. 

I agree... If the Sox never expect or want to go above 130 million.. And if that's the case, it doesn't matter what they do, they've failed as an organization.. One terrible contract shouldn't kill you, assuming they're still productive.. which Price is.

Edited by cjgalloway

47 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Then we just need a 2B for the next 7 seasons.  This doesn't really solve anything, just robbing Peter to pay Paul.  

5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I agree... If the Sox never expect or want to go above 130 million.. And if that's the case, it doesn't matter what they do, they've failed as an organization.. One terrible contract shouldn't kill you.

I think the Sox will go over $130M.  Maybe not in 2020, but they will go over. Its not like the organization has never eclipsed $130M in the past.