Potential Deals with Boston

Lillian

3 hours ago, tray said:

II might start out offering  lower tier pitching prospects plus Yolmer and/ or Collins for Bennintendi.

Not sure I would offer much more...possibly Vaughn for a package of  Benni plus Eovaldi,  but I would not trade one of our untouchables, and IMO Madrigal is an untouchable at this point.

This has been an interesting thread to read and to contemplate some of the ideas.  I really like Bennintendi as a potential RF for us.

Yolmer is the last thing in the world Boston would ever want right now.  And he simply has negative trade value at his projected arbitration salary, so he’s not really a trade chip for anything.

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It will be more fun for all of us to watch you make an excuse and complain about all of Nick Madrigals successes at the MLB level. Remember when he went 4-5 or 5-5 in Triple A and you said they would have all been outs in the big leagues? That was funny.

The Sox should have no interest in moving Madrigal. He is what this team desperately needs - an elite defensive player who never strikes out, works counts and is as smart of a baseball player as you'll find. He is one of the key pieces this team was missing this year.

Amen!

If you could identify a single thing this board has guessed and been way off on every offseason it’s how much teams will give up just to rid themselves if bad contracts. But I’m sure this time it’s different, with one of the richest, most well run franchises in the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

this is why I feel going all in on FA this offseason is a dumb move, wait til next year and supplement your team until then

Yep, wait til next year. That's what the Sox front office likes us to say. There's always next year ... then next year ... and next year.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

If you could identify a single thing this board has guessed and been way off on every offseason it’s how much teams will give up just to rid themselves if bad contracts. But I’m sure this time it’s different, with one of the richest, most well run franchises in the game.

I might have to add trading for rentals expecting them to resign because the Sox are just such a well run organization and Hahn and Co. really know how to assess talent.  😉

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I might have to add trading for rentals expecting them to resign because the Sox are just such a well run organization and Hahn and Co. really know how to assess talent.  😉

And don’t forget knowing how much payroll another team will have to spend

If we have any media spies out there, would just love to get the internal Braves' spreadsheet predicting the White Sox FA spending this offseason.

If that came out publicly...and the number was only $25-30 million again, well...they're going to have to provide a phalanx of security for Hahn to prevent another Nancy Kerrigan incident at SoxFest.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

U wear me out with this trade Madrigal stuff.

Only if the right deal comes along. I wouldn't be shopping him or anything, I just think that both he and Vaughn could be available as a headliner for the right player. Something like a Prospect/Prospect deal or as a headliner for a young established player with more upside/positional versatility. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Only if the right deal comes along. I wouldn't be shopping him or anything, I just think that both he and Vaughn could be available as a headliner for the right player. 

There are 3 or 4 "right players" something like Grandal/#2 & #4 starter/ 2 WAR RF available that only cost money.  Take 9 core players...Yoan, Eloy, Tim, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Gio, Cease, Kopech  and add bench pieces like Garcia, McCann, Collins, Dunning Engel and Sanchez at a reduced rate.  That leaves 7 opening for the pen of which we already have 4 or 5.  This team is very close with rather modest additions.  Upgrade those "right players" to #1 and #2 or 3 starters and a Pederson type in RF.  Well...you get my point.  No need to mess with the core guys.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

There are 3 or 4 "right players" something like Grandal/#2 & #4 starter/ 2 WAR RF available that only cost money.  Take 9 core players...Yoan, Eloy, Tim, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Gio, Cease, Kopech  and add bench pieces like Garcia, McCann, Collins, Dunning Engel and Sanchez at a reduced rate.  That leaves 7 opening for the pen of which we already have 4 or 5.  This team is very close with rather modest additions.  Upgrade those "right players" to #1 and #2 or 3 starters and a Pederson type in RF.  Well...you get my point.  No need to mess with the core guys.

Down on Lopez?

19 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not that I think they'd do it, but I'd do JDM, Sale and Benintendi for Madrigal+fringe prospects. 

I'd probably do Madrigal for Benintendi straight up

Gross. Madigral is going to be a good one. If they ever made a stupid trade like that, I'd immediately and forever be on the fire Rick Hahn bandwagon.

19 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Gross. Madigral is going to be a good one. If they ever made a stupid trade like that, I'd immediately and forever be on the fire Rick Hahn bandwagon.

Jack is just trying to get a reaction.  I know he's smarter than that.  I'm a Hahn believer but that trade would end it for me.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would the Red Sox, who have a serious financial problem, trade their most affordable OF for Lopez?

I don't see Benintendi as a better RF alternative than Puig/Calhoun and they don't require a probable #3/#4 starter.

• Haha 1