Trade Candidates: Hitters

TheFutureIsNear

12 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I struggle to see the point in giving up trade assets to acquire another right handed corner bat.  

I struggled to see why we should skip out on a very good hitter because of his handedness. He plays RF, albeit not very good. But then again, neither does Castellanos and people seem to like him enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

Although he will be 35, on that list, I like Daniel Murphy.

I’d be very interested to see what a Murphy and Gray package would cost us. Rockies are said to be trying to shed payroll and I’m sure Murphy fits that bill and can be had for fairly cheap. Not sure what kind of value Gray adds with 2 years of control tho.

• Like 1

I'd do business with the Yankees. The guy we'd want is Tauchman. They'd probably be okay moving Bird as well. Bird struggles with injuries and is coming off of a big one but, if right, has a big left-handed bat for DH and spot duty at 1B. Tauchman would be RF for next several years and might be available if they re-sign Gardner and keep Frazier. Send Rodon, Fry and Rutherford back.

11 hours ago, poppysox said:

Boston is paying over 12 million in over cap tax penalties.  They need to do something and are not in position to hold anyone up.  They may be a good trade partner especially with a new GM.  New guys seem more willing to trade players they didn't bring into the organization.  David Price might be part of such a deal.

last time they were in this position, they did a blockbuster w the Dodgers sending Beckett, Crawford and Gonzalez. Not sure they have enough pieces this time but we shall see. Their new nerd-guy will have a lot of pressure on him. 

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I struggled to see why we should skip out on a very good hitter because of his handedness. He plays RF, albeit not very good. But then again, neither does Castellanos and people seem to like him enough.

The Sox need left handed hitters, unless you want an everyday lineup with 8 righties and 1 switch hitter.  The Sox also need an above average defensive RF. Neither Mancini or Castellanos make much sense. At least one is a FA and will only cost money. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I'd do business with the Yankees. The guy we'd want is Tauchman. They'd probably be okay moving Bird as well. Bird struggles with injuries and is coming off of a big one but, if right, has a big left-handed bat for DH and spot duty at 1B. Tauchman would be RF for next several years and might be available if they re-sign Gardner and keep Frazier. Send Rodon, Fry and Rutherford back.

He's never right.

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He's never right.

Maybe not but worth a flier. The real target is Tauchman. Big LH OF w/pop. Can and has played all 3 OF spots. Young, cost-controlled Chgo kid. Maybe Carson Fulmer as part of package along with Rodon? Yankees also said to be trying to free up $$ for run at Cole. Guessing they might contribute toward a portion of Happs $17M '20 contract. Sox might pick up a 4-5 starter along with Tauchman and Bird under right circumstances.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

I like Tauchman, but he's already almost 30, has less than 400 MLB PA, doesn't have much a pedigree (though he was always pretty good in the minors).  He also has extreme reverse splits.  He's a lefty and here are his career splits:

vs. RHP: .228/.314/.444 (261 PA)

vs. LHP: .322/.417/.460 (104 PA)

Your proposed package seems like a lot.  Tauchman just feels like a flash in the pan guy.  He was pretty darn good for the Yankees, but I'd be far from surprised if that was his most productive MLB season.  

On 11/12/2019 at 8:29 AM, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox need left handed hitters, unless you want an everyday lineup with 8 righties and 1 switch hitter. 

If they are all quality hitters, I absolutely don't care. Of course I would *prefer* a lefty, but it's not going to make me cross a meaningful upgrade off my list.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If they are all quality hitters, I absolutely don't care. Of course I would *prefer* a lefty, but it's not going to make me cross a meaningful upgrade off my list.

Have always thought the same, this team can start worrying about who hits from what side once this team starts...hitting

On 11/12/2019 at 6:23 AM, Chisox378 said:

Although he will be 35, on that list, I like Daniel Murphy.

There is an article on Murphy in today's Purple Row, saying that he is indeed available.  Financial commitment is $8mm in 2020 and $6-12mm in 2021.  Age 35.  He can still hit, strictly a DH.  Available for next to nothing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldsox said:

There is an article on Murphy in today's Purple Row, saying that he is indeed available.  Financial commitment is $8mm in 2020 and $6-12mm in 2021.  Age 35.  He can still hit, strictly a DH.  Available for next to nothing.

Why not just sign Edwin Encarnacion for just money to DH?

• Like 1

I like David Peralta as a stop gap option. 1 year of control - should be around $9M in final year of arb.  Plus defender.  Left handed bat.  Career .346 OBP.  There is talk that Peralta is a non-tender candidate, so I imagine the Dbacks wouldn't want a ton besides the salary relief.  

I think he's a good fit to cover RF in 2020 without a long term commitment, and then revisit a year from now.  Hopefully by then Adolfo is ready to take over, but if not, then would be an appropriate time to back up the Brinks truck for Mookie.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like David Peralta as a stop gap option. 1 year of control - should be around $9M in final year of arb.  Plus defender.  Left handed bat.  Career .346 OBP.  There is talk that Peralta is a non-tender candidate, so I imagine the Dbacks wouldn't want a ton besides the salary relief.  

I think he's a good fit to cover RF in 2020 without a long term commitment, and then revisit a year from now.  Hopefully by then Adolfo is ready to take over, but if not, then would be an appropriate time to back up the Brinks truck for Mookie.  

I don't mind this option. If they tender him a contract, can we get him for about the same price that it took to get Yonder Alonso last year?

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have been a fan of targeting Peralta cheaply.  He would cost less than Pederson on the trade market i'd imagine

10 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I have been a fan of targeting Peralta cheaply.  He would cost less than Pederson on the trade market i'd imagine

The thing I don't like about it is he is so unreliable health-wise. Anyone can get an injury, but if he does we are back to the adam engel experience. If he was brought in as another option on a minor league deal thats one thing...

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

The thing I don't like about it is he is so unreliable health-wise. Anyone can get an injury, but if he does we are back to the adam engel experience. If he was brought in as another option on a minor league deal thats one thing...

That is exactly the issue with Peralta, we cannot be sure about him staying healthy. 

I have this inkling that the White Sox are going to be connected to Mitch Haniger this off-season. I'm curious what type of package it would take to land him though. Still 3 years of control left. Had a down 2019 after his breakout 2018. Could he be had without dipping into Vaughn/Madrigal territory? Maybe Stiever+?

Edited by DirtySox

11 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That is exactly the issue with Peralta, we cannot be sure about him staying healthy. 

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sure - but there is likely to be an "issue" with whomever we acquire to play RF.  At least with Peralta he shouldn't cost much via trade or 2020 AAV, isn't a long term commitment, he provides lineup balance, plus defense and plus OBP.  He is a pretty good fit.  If he were always healthy, he'd cost quite a bit more.  He's also really only had 2 injuries of substance in his 5 full major league seasons.  Not ideal, but 3 of the past 4 season he has appeared in 140+ games.  

I also feel like Leury would fill in for Peralta most days if he hit the IL, not Engel.  Peralta and Leury are also pretty good platoon mates.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

I have this inkling that the White Sox are going to be connected to Mitch Haniger this off-season. I'm curious what type of package it would take to land him though. Still 3 years of control left. Had a down 2019 after his breakout 2018. Could he be had without dipping into Vaughn/Madrigal territory? Maybe Stiever+?

I had him for RF in my latest predictions and threw out Collins, Stiever, & Walker as a potential package.  Some might think that’s high, but seems like what it might take without a top 100 prospect.

How bout simply signing Avi to a two year deal at 10 mill a season and get a trainer to work with him to keep his hammy healthy. You can't tell me it's all on the player. It's training as well. He'd be grateful I bet at the 10 mill (maybe overpaying by two mill a season) and help us win. He was a starter for a playoff team last year. We need some reliable relievers and 2 starters folks. Sign them.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I had him for RF in my latest predictions and threw out Collins, Stiever, & Walker as a potential package.  Some might think that’s high, but seems like what it might take without a top 100 prospect.

I wouldn't have any problem with that package. At all.

I hear Miguel Andujar  from The Yankees might be available. The Yankees don't want him playing 3rd with his horrible fielding and they have enough DH types so he could be shopped. Even though he hits right handed he could be a nice young cost controlled DH for a long time if he is recovered from his injury.