Trade Candidates: Hitters

TheFutureIsNear

the chances of the Sox making a serious playoff push this year are pretty slim, get a 1 year stop gap who plays elite defense in rf and go hard after Betts in 2021?

maybe put engel back out there, I saw someone make a good point about surrounding our pitching staff with solid D 1-9 which would take a lot of undue pressure off of them as they acclimate to the bigs, I'm on board with that

15 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

No Dickerson, he has a career 620 k's to 168 bb. We surely dont need more strikeouts.  Thats why I vouched for Murphy. 

Never ever look at career stats when talking about a player. If you are going to look at K's look at his K percent especially from more recent years . No Dickerson does not walkvery much  but became a contact hitter a few years ago so he is not the same hitter he was earlier in his career. Just don't check stat lines. You have the internet so you can make informed decisions on players. All it takes is a little research.

I don't think a single person has a problem with his K rate.

The question with him is injuries and can he play right fielder having had a few throwing shoulder injuries over the years. His bat is really good.Try looking at career OPS+ and his stats for the last 2 years as a hitter since that's when he decided to cut down on his K's and make more contact.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Right now, Fulmer is a much better pitcher than Brinson is a hitter.

Brinson's problem is nothing that a change of scenery (which he has already had) will fix.  Sox had a lot of players who hit like Brinson and they just went through multi-year grind with Leury and Engel  to get them up to acceptable (barely) offensive standards.    Don't need another one.

Fulmer, on the other hand, has a discernible kernel of talent with his spin rate.

14 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I would take a flyer on Mitch Hanigar, if hes healthy in 2020 he would be a pretty good option in RF, or am I way off base here

Mariners won't be accepting any "take a flier" offers on Haniger. The guy is a year removed from being one of the most valuable OF in the game.  Still controlled for there more seasons.  A fluke injury last year isn't going to crater his value to nothing - the return to acquire Haniger would be painful.    

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Never ever look at career stats when talking about a player. If you are going to look at K's look at his K percent especially from more recent years . No Dickerson does not walkvery much  but became a contact hitter a few years ago so he is not the same hitter he was earlier in his career. Just don't check stat lines. You have the internet so you can make informed decisions on players. All it takes is a little research.

I don't think a single person has a problem with his K rate.

The question with him is injuries and can he play right fielder having had a few throwing shoulder injuries over the years. His bat is really good.Try looking at career OPS+ and his stats for the last 2 years as a hitter since that's when he decided to cut down on his K's and make more contact.

Ok, looking back at his stat line you convinced me he is a better hitter than I thought, still his k to bb is concerning throughout his whole career. I could say in this day and age he is a little better than average hitter. His 28 doubles  in 279 plate appearances is impressive. He hits for a decent average. We have so many hitter like Dickerson in our lineup already, but I'm counting on our players to improve immensely on their k to bb rate. If Dickerson can play CF, you have convinced me he is worth the signing instead of my original thought of Billy Hamilton.

Edited by Chisox378
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Ok, looking back at his stat line you convinced me he is a better hitter than I thought, still his k to bb is concerning throughout his whole career. I could say in this day and age he is a little better than average hitter. His 28 doubles  in 279 plate appearances is impressive. He hits for a decent average. We have so many hitter like Dickerson in our lineup already, but I'm counting on our players to improve immensely on their k to bb rate. If Dickerson can play CF, you have convinced me he is worth the signing instead of my original thought of Billy Hamilton.

We literally have no hitters like Dickerson. And he cannot play CF.  And we have a CF for the next 7 seasons.

Where do you come up with this shit?  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We literally have no hitters like Dickerson. And he cannot play CF.  And we have a CF for the next 7 seasons.

Where do you come up with this shit?  

I don't think Robert will be ready this season. He is still too raw and strikeouts way too much.

Edited by Chisox378
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

You are the only person on the planet who thinks this.  

I get it. Many fans like flash and HR's...but that to me is not what makes a good hitter. Hitters that can work counts, move runners over, get on base, make contact, and sacrifice their own at bats for the best of the team are the best hitters. The Astros hitters are a great example of this. 

12 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I get it. Many fans like flash and HR's...but that to me is not what makes a good hitter. Hitters that can work counts, move runners over, get on base, make contact, and sacrifice their own at bats for the best of the team are the best hitters. The Astros hitters are a great example of this. 

Because they're all cheaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I don't think Robert will be ready this season. He is still too raw and strikeouts way too much.

Good point.  We also should have kept Moncada down for a couple more years because of his rawness and high strikeout rate. 

Same with Eloy.  It's not like guys can get better while in the big leagues, so I don't know why we ever call these players up.

27 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Is that why nearly every team that was in the postseason was in the top ten in all of baseball in homers?

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Good point.  We also should have kept Moncada down for a couple more years because of his rawness and high strikeout rate. 

Same with Eloy.  It's not like guys can get better while in the big leagues, so I don't know why we ever call these players up.

If we have better options and want to win games, which is what we should be trying to do, then yes, why call up raw players.  

34 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

The Astros hit the 3rd most home runs in baseball.  

Really, when it comes to DH, they need someone who is a good platoon partner for Collins vs. LHP and can also fill in in case Collins sucks. I think Encarnacion is a good plan at DH. I do hope they give Collins a look though. He can fill in at 1B and emergency C as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Really, when it comes to DH, they need someone who is a good platoon partner for Collins vs. LHP and can also fill in in case Collins sucks. I think Encarnacion is a good plan at DH. I do hope they give Collins a look though. He can fill in at 1B and emergency C as well. 

Encarnacion can find a starting job somewhere I'm sure. But I do agree for the most part.

What about Howie Kendrick to sign as a platoon piece? Although I do think its possible he could find a starting gig on a rebuilding team too though.

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

Did you watch the Astro's this year.