Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheFutureIsNear

Trade Candidates: Hitters

Recommended Posts

This is purely speculation on my part. I do not know if all/any of these players are actually available, the list was compiled by looking at teams that have a log jam/surplus at positions we could use. Also not claiming the Sox have the necessary pieces that make sense to make trade for any player. And obviously these players are all of varying degrees of interest.
 
 

Yankees- Frazier, Bird, Tauchman

Red Sox- Benintendi

Astros- Reddick
 
A’s- Canha, Olson
 
Mariners- Santana, Haniger
 
Rangers- Calhoun, Mazara
 
Braves- Markakis (cheap club option)
 
Mets- Cano (mets add a lot of $ + young talent), Dom Smith, Nimmo
 
Phillies- Bruce, Franco, Haseley
 
Cubs- Schwarber, Heyward, Happ
 
Reds- Winker
 
Brewers- Travis Shaw, Ben Gamel
 
Pirates- Marte
 
Cardinals- Jose Martinez, Wong
 
Rockies- Daniel Murphy
 
Dodgers- Pederson, Edwin Rios
 
Padres- Franchy Cordero
 
Post any players I forgot and/or trade proposals. We could use some new conversations aside from over analyzing the same 10 or so free agents. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about first listing trade assets that THIS org has that won't scupper this rebuild?

 

I'm skeptical about the depth of this system, such that a trade may well kill whatever depth this org may have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

How about first listing trade assets that THIS org has that won't scupper this rebuild?

 

I'm skeptical about the depth of this system, such that a trade may well kill whatever depth this org may have.

Collins

steiver

Micker

Basabe

Rutherford

Walker

Dunning

Sheets

Fulmer

handful of low level guys that will have some interest 


Obviously nothing with a ton of value, but some sort of package of 2-3 could get most of that list in my opinion. A guy like Benintendi would obviously require us to take on bad contracts tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Collins/steiver/Micker/Basabe/Rutherford/Walker/Dunning/Sheets/Fulmer

handful of low level guys that will have some interest 


Obviously nothing with a ton of value, but some sort of package of 2-3 could get most of that list in my opinion. A guy like Benintendi would obviously require us to take on bad contracts tho. 

So, from the SOX standpoint, 2-3 of these prospects kills any sort of depth, and makes it all but impossible to make a "finishing touch" trade later. [i.e. a Chapman to scrubs-type move to complete a playoff run.]

From the standpoint of another team, they'd be looking at a "pile of mediocrity for your good player" type of trade. How does Theo sell a Schwarber for Dunning/Micker/Sheets deal to his fanbase, for example?

 

I don't think I'm convinced that a "Buy" trade [at THIS point] makes sense for a shallow system that could be ranked in the ~20s, once Robert and Madrigal arrive. That said, if/when some of the injured or less-effective prospects get healthy and re-establish their prospect value [such as in midseason this year], a "Buy" trade could make more sense. At the same time, when a projected contender surprisingly falls out of contention, and has to SELL, keeping "the powder dry" for such an opportunity could bear fruit for the SOX, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

From the standpoint of another team, they'd be looking at a "pile of mediocrity for your good player" type of trade. How does Theo sell a Schwarber for Dunning/Micker/Sheets deal to his fanbase, for example?

The only reasons that make sense for any team to go for the guys we have not named Robert/Vaughn/Madrigal is to clear payroll, bonus if there's someone being blocked by that player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Collins

steiver

Micker

Basabe

Rutherford

Walker

Dunning

Sheets

Fulmer

Obviously nothing with a ton of value, but some sort of package of 2-3 could get most of that list in my opinion. A guy like Benintendi would obviously require us to take on bad contracts tho. 

Red Sox probably would not be interested in the White Sox backing up that garbage truck at Fenway and unloading it.  We probably could get Benintendi for Vaughn if we took Eovaldi with him took over at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the amount of his remaining 3 year contract.  A stiff price to pay but  perhaps  the right thing to do for both teams.  That deal would have to be conditioned on  an Eovaldi physical to make sure his arm does not require surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of getting Trey Mancini for the Orioles.

Hunter Renfroe from the Padres since he's got a big time bat, and is apparently a good defensive RF with a big arm.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The only reasons that make sense for any team to go for the guys we have not named Robert/Vaughn/Madrigal is to clear payroll, bonus if there's someone being blocked by that player. 

This is a vast over simplification that is only considering top 100 status.  There could be teams that are high on Stiever & Walker for example, whether Baseball America or Pipeline have them ranked as top 100 prospects.  Also, the Dodgers nearly traded us two years of Pederson for a pair of interesting arms, neither of which were top 100 guys.  Your view on prospect value is very much outdated, as even guys in the 101 to 200 range are commanding quite a bit of value today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tray said:

Red Sox probably would not be interested in the White Sox backing up that garbage truck at Fenway and unloading it.  We probably could get Benintendi for Vaughn if we took Eovaldi with him took over at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the amount of his remaining 3 year contract.  A stiff price to pay but  perhaps  the right thing to do for both teams.  That deal would have to be conditioned on  an Eovaldi physical to make sure his arm does not require surgery.

That would be a horrible move.  Three years of Benintendi coming of a fairly ordinary year is not worth a top 20 prospect plus taking on a albatross contract.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Collins

steiver

Micker

Basabe

Rutherford

Walker

Dunning

Sheets

Fulmer

handful of low level guys that will have some interest 


Obviously nothing with a ton of value, but some sort of package of 2-3 could get most of that list in my opinion. A guy like Benintendi would obviously require us to take on bad contracts tho. 

Guessing a team might find Rodon interesting enough as a return piece. Especially as part of a bundle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tray said:

Red Sox probably would not be interested in the White Sox backing up that garbage truck at Fenway and unloading it.  We probably could get Benintendi for Vaughn if we took Eovaldi with him took over at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the amount of his remaining 3 year contract.  A stiff price to pay but  perhaps  the right thing to do for both teams.  That deal would have to be conditioned on  an Eovaldi physical to make sure his arm does not require surgery.

If we traded the best college hitter in years for Benintendi straight up we should be calling for hahns job.  Horrible trade idea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tray said:

Red Sox probably would not be interested in the White Sox backing up that garbage truck at Fenway and unloading it.  We probably could get Benintendi for Vaughn if we took Eovaldi with him took over at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the amount of his remaining 3 year contract.  A stiff price to pay but  perhaps  the right thing to do for both teams.  That deal would have to be conditioned on  an Eovaldi physical to make sure his arm does not require surgery.

I doubt they will trade Benintendi because of Betts' status.

But if trading Benintendi w an Eovaldi or Price attached gets them what they want payroll-wise, I am sure he can be had. But Vaughn or Madrigal  would not do it. They got good production from their 2B they brought up mid-season  and their highest rated MLB ready prospect is a IB in AAA. So it would probably take an MLB level OF in return.  

I would love to see Benintendi in our OF but I am not sure we have the outfield piece should Boston try and trade him. Now they may be enticed by a young SP.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dahl and Tapia from Rockies. 
Peralta - Dbacks

I think the Rox would listen on Jon Gray offers as well.  They REALLY need to clean up payroll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I like the idea of getting Trey Mancini for the Orioles.

Hunter Renfroe from the Padres since he's got a big time bat, and is apparently a good defensive RF with a big arm.

I struggle to see the point in giving up trade assets to acquire another right handed corner bat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be a horrible move.  Three years of Benintendi coming of a fairly ordinary year is not worth a top 20 prospect plus taking on a albatross contract

Perhaps. Maybe the BoSox would take Collins or ReyLo and not require that the Sox take on money with one of their bloated player contracts.  If trading away talent to get a decent RF  is such an anathema then open the pocketbook and overpay for Castellanos, because that is what it will take to beat out the cubs and other teams to get him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tray said:

Perhaps. Maybe the BoSox would take Collins or ReyLo and not require that the Sox take on money with one of their bloated player contracts.  If trading away talent to get a decent RF  is such an anathema then open the pocketbook and overpay for Castellanos, because that is what it will take to beat out the cubs and other teams to get him.

Any situation that involves overpaying for Castellanos should get a HARD PASS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

which means that acquiring a relatively young decent  LH hitting RF than can play good D would be golden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Collins

steiver

Micker

Basabe

Rutherford

Walker

Dunning

Sheets

Fulmer

handful of low level guys that will have some interest 


Obviously nothing with a ton of value, but some sort of package of 2-3 could get most of that list in my opinion. A guy like Benintendi would obviously require us to take on bad contracts tho. 

We have plenty of prospects that should interest other clubs, especially a guy like Stiever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I doubt they will trade Benintendi because of Betts' status.

But if trading Benintendi w an Eovaldi or Price attached gets them what they want payroll-wise, I am sure he can be had. But Vaughn or Madrigal  would not do it. They got good production from their 2B they brought up mid-season  and their highest rated MLB ready prospect is a IB in AAA. So it would probably take an MLB level OF in return.  

I would love to see Benintendi in our OF but I am not sure we have the outfield piece should Boston try and trade him. Now they may be enticed by a young SP.  

 

Boston is paying over 12 million in over cap tax penalties.  They need to do something and are not in position to hold anyone up.  They may be a good trade partner especially with a new GM.  New guys seem more willing to trade players they didn't bring into the organization.  David Price might be part of such a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×