Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

I would like to state though that despite the many people against rendon because it moves moncada around again...I think getting Rendon would be so clearly a net positive that you go for it. He's so good. I just also get some Adrian Beltre "he'l be good forever" vibes from him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would like to state though that despite the many people against rendon because it moves moncada around again...I think getting Rendon would be so clearly a net positive that you go for it. He's so good. I just also get some Adrian Beltre "he'l be good forever" vibes from him.

And Moncada, who is younger and was better defensively this season, does not necessarily need to be the one to move. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Love Rendon as a player, but he's not signing anywhere where he is not the unquestioned starting 3B day one. 

Also, he has already been offered 7/210-215 to remain with the Nationals. It would take far more to get him on the south side. Can't see us ponying up. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

And Moncada, who is younger and was better defensively this season, does not necessarily need to be the one to move. 

Yeah, I also think the "he can't play second" stuff is overstated. If there's a position I think they can shift around weaknesses, it's 2b.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree, he can platoon at DH when Madrigal needs a spot and would give you a lot of flexibility on the infield. Adding another big time bat is going to be crucial to this team contending this year. Both Madrigal and Robert will have their initial struggles. Rendon would help minimize the effect on the lineup

Just now, steveno89 said:

Love Rendon as a player, but he's not signing anywhere where he is not the unquestioned starting 3B day one. 

Also, he has already been offered 7/210-215 to remain with the Nationals. It would take far more to get him on the south side. Can't see us ponying up. 

I get this reaction, but I just don't like the idea that we judge moves as 'bad' just because the sox are unlikely to pursue them. The offseason has a long ways to go, I'll wait until january for realism.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I also think the "he can't play second" stuff is overstated. If there's a position I think they can shift around weaknesses, it's 2b.

Assume fantasyland and we sign Rendon, move Moncada back to 2B, where the heck does Madrigal play? Or would he just become trade bait in this situation? 

Rendon is getting at least $30 million AAV long term, plus we still badly need to add one premier free agent starting pitcher, another backend starter, RF, DH, pen arms. We have financial flexibility, but it would be a stretch to achieve all than and ink Rendon. 

Edited by steveno89

Just now, steveno89 said:

Assume fantasyland and we sign Rendon, move Moncada back to 2B, where the heck does Madrigal play? Or would he just become trade bait in this situation? 

I think the good thing about madrigal is he's absolutely a player you could play all over (though sub-optimal production) and just be deep, but also, yes I think trading him is fine.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It would be pretty typical to see Moncada moved to second and coincidentally see a drop in offensive production and everyone attributes it to the position change forever. 

Ha, this would be hilarious "you took a silver slugger third baseman and moved him to second? He doesn't know where the balls gonna go...discombobulated...guy can't play. Hahn sucks!"

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I think if you do something like this you trade Madrigal and move Yo back to 2B.  I wouldn't stick him in RF.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we sign Rendon and move Moncada to 2B I'd obviously be happy since Rendon is elite, and I agree that Moncada is at least good enough to be a regular 2B.

But I would rather see Moncada at 3B, Madrigal at 2B, Rendon at 1B, Abreu (eventually Vaughn) at DH, and still go after a Castellanos/Pederson type for RF. Of course, I highly doubt we even are serious about Rendon. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

If we sign Rendon and move Moncada to 2B I'd obviously be happy since Rendon is elite, and I agree that Moncada is at least good enough to be a regular 2B.

But I would rather see Moncada at 3B, Madrigal at 2B, Rendon at 1B, Abreu (eventually Vaughn) at DH, and still go after a Castellanos/Pederson type for RF. Of course, I highly doubt we even are serious about Rendon. 

No way you pony up for Rendon to stick him at 1B. He's a quality 3B. 

Rendon to the Sox is not happening, lets put that idea to bed

Yeah that's interesting. Would be an actually good defensive infield.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I think moving Moncada again would be insanely dumb. But that’s just my opinion.

If that person that is taking over third is less good than Anthony Rendon I would tend to agree.

But Anthony Rendon is really really good.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

No way you pony up for Rendon to stick him at 1B. He's a quality 3B. 

Rendon to the Sox is not happening, lets put that idea to bed

I know, I said that at the end. But to your first point, while he is a quality 3B, Moncada is better (defensively) and it's likely to stay that way as Rendon ages.

I know, I said that at the end. But to your first point, while he is a quality 3B, Moncada is better (defensively) and it's likely to stay that way as Rendon ages.

You can always make that the long-term plan. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245