Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

23 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

But just because Yoan was bad at second doesn't mean he can't improve. He has the tools to be an average to above average 2nd baseman. I'd rather have Madrigal there.

So no one is talking about moving Madrigal to ss and TA to RF?? 

If so we might as well bring back Ozzie to manage this Sort of shit show. 

26 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

It is interesting to me that out of the thousands of posts I've read in multiple threads here, I'm pretty sure this is the first one I've seen where someone suggested trading any of the young MLB position player core. Collins, yes. A couple of the young pitchers, yes. But I dont remember seeing any Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez trade suggestions. Maybe one with Anderson....

Better get a huge return if trading Moncada or TA. Jimenez is untouchable. Giolito would be a great sell high guy but we desperately need pitching.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:23 PM, bmags said:

So I do keep thinking about Rendon.

One thing that I like about the Grandal signing is it is playing with what the market is giving you with your team situation.

The sox have payroll flexibility to add elite talent

The team is young and malleable to this point

Take the elite talent, basically.

There will certainly be a question moving forward about salary level, but if you sign wheeler around 5/90 and Rendon at 32.5 AAv or abouts, you are still around and south of 140.

You also then either have excess capacity to trade for RF, or the extreme examples of moving Moncada to OF.

The base of the team is at such a high level at that point that you have an easier case to make with Reinsdorf that one extra compelling piece is worth going over for a year or two.

And, as many find important, you've done it with just money resources, and also have likely pushed contention into 2020 in a reasonable way. The most difficult decision will be whether ot lose control of robert/madrigal to really take advantage.

Roster, compelling:

C Grandal/McCann

1b Abreu

2b Madrigal or Moncada

3b Rendon

SS Anderson

LF Eloy

CF Robert

RF Moncada and or addition using Madrigal

Pitching staff:

Giolito/Wheeler/Kopech/Cease/Lopez/Rodon/Covey

that lineup has only really one possibly below avg. offensively player in madrigal and a DH of likely collins whose bat would be part time. Robert is also a risk his first year.

The pitching staff is a question mark. But I am more comfortable going year by year with pitching as long as we can soak in up to the 160mill range on a given year.

It is more interesting than we would think, but more disruptive than the lego piece addition of grabbing a RFer.

And while that thread of "would you rather have machado or 250 mill" if it instead becomes rendon that actually was a choice and my answer would be rendon.

If you think Rendon or Strasburg are coming here you need a padded helmet. Good Lord. 

Just now, Quin said:

Very contributive to the thread.

And getting pretty old, because practically every person discussing these ideas prefaces them by saying they know how unlikely it is. I don't see how talking about how upset we are over Wheeler is any better

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pcq said:

If you think Rendon or Strasburg are coming here you need a padded helmet. Good Lord. 

A solid effort though would be better than the usual pass.Their prices are going to be enormous and the big boys with money and as close to guaranteed playoff positions as you can get are interested. Second place is probably out of the question but I would take a 5th place over a did not bother.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

And getting pretty old, because practically every person discussing these ideas prefaces them by saying they know how unlikely it is. I don't see how talking about how upset we are over Wheeler is any better

At some point you have to stop the self abuse. It is disturbing. Move on to more realistic targets. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pcq said:

At some point you have to stop the self abuse. It is disturbing. Move on to more realistic targets. 

Some of us aren’t so emotionally fragile that discussing team building scenarios unlikely to come to fruition harms us 🤷‍♂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Moncada’s trade value is among the highest in baseball. You’d need BOTH a great RF and SP to move him. It would probably never work

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When you trade a teams best player it's predictable your fans will go nuts.  

If the Sox signed Rendon and then somehow traded Moncada for both a great RF and great SP, I would definitely go nuts - in a good way.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the Phillies were willing to go into the luxury tax to sign Rendon, but they settled for Wheeler instead of Cole/Strasberg? Yeah, I'll go ahead and call BS on this one.

You definitely have your finger on the pulse of the phillies spending.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, pcq said:

Along with those that believe that Betts will re-up with the White Sox.

Still, I would pursue Rendon.  There is a chance that the big boy in that chase is Texas and that the Dodgers, Yankees, et al don't pursue.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Along with those that believe that Betts will re-up with the White Sox.

Still, I would pursue Rendon.  There is a chance that the big boy in that chase is Texas and that the Dodgers, Yankees, et al don't pursue.

Again, for the children in the front, people can talk about how they would add to the team without needing to "believe" it is going to happen.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245