Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly what I woke up thinking. Imagine getting a 1.000 OPS guy in a lineup that will add Vaughn and Robert and have Madrigal as DEPTH. That is comparable to the best lineups in baseball. An actual Elite thing to have. 

Several people have called me an idiot on twitter because I am pounding the table for Rendon, but why fault for wanting elite players on the south side? 

Mazara is essentially a one year tryout who we can non-tender if he does not pan out. Trading for him should not preclude the Sox from signing impact talent at any position. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This would be one of the main reasons you'd pivot to Mazara IMO; to allocate your funds to a better player at another position than overpaying for Ozuna/Castellanos.

Or its just the Sox old way of doing business.

If you're going to pivot to a money saving move (regardless of if its to save money for Rendon, or to save money for Jerry), at least find a good player.  David Peralta would have been an exceptionally better option because at least he can provide good defense along with above average hitting against RHP.  

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Several people have called me an idiot on twitter because I am pounding the table for Rendon, but why fault for wanting elite players on the south side? 

Mazara is essentially a one year tryout who we can non-tender if he does not pan out. Trading for him should not preclude the Sox from signing impact talent at any position. 

Silly me, I actually expected an elite free agent when this rebuild was kicked off in 16. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Or its just the Sox old way of doing business.

If you're going to pivot to a money saving move (regardless of if its to save money for Rendon, or to save money for Jerry), at least find a good player.  David Peralta would have been an exceptionally better option because at least he can provide good defense along with above average hitting against RHP.  

I definitely see this angle as well. The Sox absolutely don't deserve the benefit of the doubt on this, but if it was an organization we respected (lol) I think we'd see this as writing on the wall for a pivot to another area of spending.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Silly me, I actually expected an elite free agent when this rebuild was kicked off in 16. 

I've calmed since being livid last night over the Mazara deal.

I am in total agreement bmags. I love the Sox and really want this rebuild to head to the next level. The Machado pursuit was an unmitigated disaster, and we got snubbed by Wheeler. Grandal is a great piece, but if we are not going to be competitive for elite free agents why are we bothering to do this? I wanted contention for a 4-5 year window, not maybe an 80-85 win season in 2021/2022. 

The Sox can afford Rendon. Make it happen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I definitely see this angle as well. The Sox absolutely don't deserve the benefit of the doubt on this, but if it was an organization we respected (lol) I think we'd see this as writing on the wall for a pivot to another area of spending.

Yah, I mean.  They're going to spend some money on FA SP.  At this point, I fully expect Keuchel (3/$50M type deal) and a Porcello/Gonzalez/Wood type on a 1 year deal for the back end.  Maybe a Gennett or Deitrich to fill in at 2B and then bench.  Pretty underwhelming finish to an offseason that I had exceptionally high hopes for after signing Grandal.  

The Sox were willing to go 8 years with Machado. Rendon wants 7 a year later. That fits in perfectly. Give him the Machado money (the money will be spent) all 8 years of it. Front load the shit out of it in case he wants to retire with 2 years left but can't walk away from $70 million. Make it so he would be walking away from half of that, and prove Sox fans wrong. 

Odds, about 250-1.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

That's the only thing keeping me somewhat positive about this.  We've gotta be working on something that'll cost some major scratch.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mazara makes way more sense if you are pivoting to Rendon being your big addition.

I get the angle guys, but I wouldn't hold your breath.  There would need to be a lot of dominoes to fall if the Sox made Mazara move to save money to make room for Rendon.

I think we'll see some money spent on SP, but at this point, everything that is left is imperfect options.  I would love Ryu, but fuckina, why are we running Mazara out in RF for a year if we're spending $20M on Ryu?  Mazara just screams to me a move that will be supplemented with Keuchel and a 1 year SP flier, and we'll top out at a payroll around $120M next season.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Has anybody asked Hahn in an interview why they were willing to offer Machado 8/250 guaranteed with plenty of incentives, but not offer Rendon 7/230-250?

The only reasons I can think is that Manny is 2 years younger (but difference minimized because there would be 1 less year on the Rendon deal, and Rendon still figures to be awfully productive in his age 35 season), and because Moncada had a breakout year at 3B so they think they are set there (but he could easily be moved back to 2B and Madrigal packaged with Vaughn and Stiever to bring back an elite, controllable starting pitcher, like Snell).

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Szymborski is on board.

It really is so hard to grapple with them not even trying here (I hope they are), because the offense (thanks to much of their moves) is really one elite player away from being actually elite.

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

It really is so hard to grapple with them not even trying here (I hope they are), because the offense (thanks to much of their moves) is really one elite player away from being actually elite.

It’s not happening but it would be amazing.

Eloy at DH would keep him healthy.

Stick Mazara in LF and Moncada in RF.

Both the offense and defense would be greatly improved.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245