Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They’ll land him or Price.  I don’t think they’re infatuated with MadBum and Ryu’s durability probaly scares them.  Keuchel is in that sweet spot between good and not good enough that will allow the Sox to get him on a three year deal and Uncle Jerry will love that.

Especially the ubiquitous comparisons to Mark Buehrle and that they can constantly mention former Cy Young winner...like they do with Ron Coomer on the Cubs' broadcast the beginning (it's more hilarious because he was elected just once, when on the Twins).

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

For what,  So we can hear Passan Tweet the "Sox put out a strong effort"?  I'm more tired of that crap than anything else.    

I get it man. I am too. Goes back to the GM/Kenny talking out their ass once again coming into the winter meetings saying they were ready to make moves and here we are holding Mazara and that’s it 

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The more than generous Abreu contract helps out with that, at least.

We "look" like we're at least sorta trying, to do something.

The Abreu contract, while absolutely horrible, actually decreased his salary in 2020.  

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree, but they put all their eggs into the Wheeler basket and had zero backup plan.  Now with our affordable 1 win RF and most SP options off the board, it’s going to be hard to sport an even respectable payroll.

What kind of backup plan were you hoping for?  Signing Rendon, Cole, or Strasburg cannot be considered a backup plan because if you were willing to go after them, you would have made plan Plan A...not a backup plan. 

(I’m not saying you think one of those big 3 should have been the backup plan...I’m just genuinely curious what would qualify as a good backup plan.)

Edited by SoxBlanco

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

I truly rather not.   Do the Grandal thing and blow everyone out of the water from the start or don't get in it at all.   

As some have said on this board, this isn’t EBay “buy it now” purchases. This is how FA goes, Sox decided to not even play with all their payroll flexibility. Sad on top of sad

Just now, bmags said:

Lol it’s hilarious. The idea that one of the best bats in baseball who is good defensively will make the team not significantly better.

Just an insane form of thinking lol this is why the same teams are in the postseason and the Sox can’t even get to .500

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Your logic makes perfect sense but Keuchel’s agent still has me questioning the Sox getting him signed.

I think Hahn hyped up the two starter angle long enough that even he knows he needs to land one name guy.  That guy will likely be Keuchel and my guess is he will get around 3/$60M.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Abreu contract, while absolutely horrible, actually decreased his salary in 2020.  

Sure, but that signing bonus just doesn't disappear.

They can say it's allocated to this budget year instead of 2020 all they want, but the odds are we're not even going to be close to a $130 million payroll the way things are currently going.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245