Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah - those guys are available next year.  Will the Sox get em?  Probably not, but it makes sense.  

Gotcha. Yeah but part of it is valuing this year, the other part is no guarantee they make it to FA.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Damn, the Machado money from last year could’ve gotten it done...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1204968808797990913

We’ve already spent nearly $200M of it between Abreu, Grandal, & Eloy.  That leaves almost exactly $50M for Keuchel before the money has officially been spent!!

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know this will sound kind of dumb, but if I knew was unable to pursue Cole or Strasburg, I would have gone after Corbin last winter and given myself two chances to land a potential TOR starter (along with Wheeler this year).

But my true fallback would have been signing Rendon (he can technically be backup plan IMO), move Moncada back to 2B, and then use Madrigal in a trade for a controllable starter.  Money is a powerful asset if you actually leverage it creatively

See, I completely disagree with that. You don’t decide to go after Rendon just because you miss on Wheeler. If you want Rendon, then you go after him. He is not a backup plan and he should have nothing to do with missing out on Wheeler. 

A backup plan should be going after Ryu or MadBum or trading for a SP if you don’t like those two guys. 

Edited by SoxBlanco

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

These contracts are shocking. What has happened in last 3 yrs, revenue wise that has changed the economics of MLB so dramatically? Is this all about subscription revenue?

Baseball's payrolls have been going up at more than 5% a year for over 20 years....but for the last 3 years they've stagnated. That means there is a 20% jump in payrolls plausible based on continued revenue growth and that bump was delayed by teams rebuilding. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It just seems the Sox are playing in a different league than so many of these teams. It’s like Vandy trying to recruit against Alabama and Georgia in football.

Right now the Sox braintrust feels content, they stuck with their player evaluation and are very happy they didn’t “overpay” for an elite talent

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The Angels still have massive holes to fill on their roster. I don’t really see them being competitive next year, even if they get two starters.

Came here just to say this. They have some serious star power in Trout, Rendon, and Ohtani, one washed up and absolutely horrible contract in Pujols, and no pitching. They’re an older version of what we had three years ago.