Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Well, they were still a below average offense and could use an insanely productive bat.

Rendon is as consistent of a hitter as there is. For a $200 + mil contract he is pretty low risk compared to others when you look at his #s.

He might be a bargain compared to the next set of stars coming to FA. Betts, Bryant & Judge in the next 3 years will probably all be close or over $300 mil contracts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Rendon is as consistent of a hitter as there is. For a $200 + mil contract he is pretty low risk compared to others when you look at his #s.

He might be a bargain compared to the next set of stars coming to FA. Betts, Bryant & Judge in the next 3 years will probably all be close or over $300 mil contracts.

If the 200 million is workable and Moncada is both willing and able to move to RF I'm all in.  If what happens is we trade Madrigal so that Moncada can move to 2nd where he really isn't defensively very good...no interest.  Since I doubt both the 200 price tag and Moncada's willingness to move to RF... don't expect this move to happen.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If the 200 million is workable and Moncada is both willing and able to move to RF I'm all in.  If what happens is we trade Madrigal so that Moncada can move to 2nd where he really isn't defensively very good...no interest.  Since I doubt both the 200 price tag and Moncada's willingness to move to RF... don't expect this move to happen.

I could be wrong, but I thought Rendon rejected a 7/210 offer by Washington, right? 

Do not love moving Moncada off of 3B, but adding Rendon would be such a game changer for our offense. 

Edited by steveno89

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree this is a far fetched idea. And this only works if Moncada or TA are on board moving to RF. I really don't want to trade Madrigal as that gives the Sox the financial flexibility to offer the large deal. Currently Dream Status

Just now, NotHahn said:

I agree this is a far fetched idea. And this only works if Moncada or TA are on board moving to RF. I really don't want to trade Madrigal as that gives the Sox the financial flexibility to offer the large deal. Currently Dream Status

Honestly, if the Sox ink Rendon do we really care what happens with Madrigal? Shift Moncada back to 2B and I'd look to deal Madrigal for pitching or RF? 

I really like Madrigal as a prospect, and think he can be a solid 2-3 WAR guy each season, but Rendon is an absolute stud who can anchor a championship roster. He changes your entire offense, and the lineup would be intimidating with Robert/Moncada/Grandal/Rendon/Abreu/Jimenez/DH/RF. Sprinkle in some pitching and that is a team that can win the AL Central. 

14 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought Rendon rejected a 7/210 offer by Washington, right? 

Do not love moving Moncada off of 3B, but adding Rendon would be such a game changer for our offense. 

Realistically Rendon will probably get a contract closer to $250 mil range right?

Just now, NotHahn said:

Realistically Rendon will probably get a contract closer to $250 mil range right?

If the Sox were heavy on Machado, why would they not be interested in Rendon, who is arguably much better? 

I'd offer 7/225 all day to Rendon. There is no player that would help our club more in this free agency, or next more than him, or potentially Betts. 

Eventually this team has to sack up and start acting like a big boy, the time is now. Overpay if you have to, because Rendon is a safe bet to rake for the next 5 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

If the Sox were heavy on Machado, why would they not be interested in Rendon, who is arguably much better? 

I'd offer 7/225 all day to Rendon. There is no player that would help our club more in this free agency, or next more than him, or potentially Betts. 

Eventually this team has to sack up and start acting like a big boy, the time is now. Overpay if you have to, because Rendon is a safe bet to rake for the next 5 years. 

We were heavy into Machado.  The baseball Gods saved us from ourselves and gave us a better third-baseman.  As I said earlier...if Moncada is willing to play right field I'm happy to get Rendon.  Maybe this is the baseball Gods plan all along.

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

I mean, allocating 225 million to a position that is currently filled by your best player seems like a waste of resources, and poor allocation of funds.

I don't think you can just move Moncada - you could argue he's a BETTER defender at 3rd already than Rendon. 

So not only do you have to pay Rendon huge money, but you also need to move him or Moncada. 

Rendon is awesome, but he's simply not a need. Unlike starting pitching where the Sox want to claim they don't need an ace (laughable), they actually do not need any infielders.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Obtaining one of the 10 best players in baseball seems like a good allocation of resources to me. Especially so when it's obvious that the White Sox aren't going to go out and spend to get either Cole or Strasburg. I guess it's equally obvious they won't get Rendon though so meh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Obtaining one of the 10 best players in baseball seems like a good allocation of resources to me. Especially so when it's obvious that the White Sox aren't going to go out and spend to get either Cole or Strasburg. I guess it's equally obvious they won't get Rendon though so meh.

Resources are better spent on areas of need, imo. This isn't like having 7 pitchers because injuries happen. You're literally forced to move one of the two to a position they have not excelled at in a similar fashion. Rendon isn't likely to move, either, so in reality you have to move your best player who played excellent and may actually be a better defender than Rendon. 

I wouldn't be mad, but I think the money couldn't certainly be spent smarter.

• Haha 1

Rendon is the lowest risk major impact player on the market right now. The White Sox have a massive hole in RF and it seems pretty likely that Moncada would capably play there. "Moving" Moncada isn't a negative to me if he is being replaced by a superstar level player.

Cole is a virtual lock to be the highest paid player this off-season. Strasburg and Rendon will probably sign for closer money and between the two I would lean Rendon, but I would be fine with Strasburg too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Rendon is the lowest risk major impact player on the market right now. The White Sox have a massive hole in RF and it seems pretty likely that Moncada would capably play there. "Moving" Moncada isn't a negative to me if he is being replaced by a superstar level player.

Cole is a virtual lock to be the highest paid player this off-season. Strasburg and Rendon will probably sign for closer money and between the two I would lean Rendon, but I would be fine with Strasburg too.

Moncada is a superstar level player, and he's a better defender at third (possibly) than Rendon.

These are still people you are managing; what kind of message does it send to Moncada after all he's done and how hard he's worked that you're going to move him again, despite him being a bonafide MLB star? Ego's come into play in sports; heck, "Mr Selfless" himself Derek Jeter didn't move off of SS for a far superior SS (A-Rod). 

I wouldn't do anything that could be detrimental to Moncada, because he's every bit as important to this rebuild and teams success as Rendon would be.

If Moncada came to you and said, "hey, I'll move to RF for this guy and master the position" then fine, but that isn't something that a lot of guys would do. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He moved to 3B though and for no reason in particular. Why would he be so against moving to RF? Derek Jeter had been the Yankees SS for 8 years. Moncada has been at 3B for 1 year. Moncada was "better" at 3B last year than Rendon, but both of Rendon's previous two seasons were better than Moncada's 2019 season defensively. It's probably about a wash defensively to have Rendon play 3B.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada is a superstar level player, and he's a better defender at third (possibly) than Rendon.

These are still people you are managing; what kind of message does it send to Moncada after all he's done and how hard he's worked that you're going to move him again, despite him being a bonafide MLB star? Ego's come into play in sports; heck, "Mr Selfless" himself Derek Jeter didn't move off of SS for a far superior SS (A-Rod). 

I wouldn't do anything that could be detrimental to Moncada, because he's every bit as important to this rebuild and teams success as Rendon would be.

If Moncada came to you and said, "hey, I'll move to RF for this guy and master the position" then fine, but that isn't something that a lot of guys would do. 

I like Moncada too, but Rendon could change the outlook of the entire rebuild for the Sox. 

3B Rendon

SS Anderson

2B Madrigal

1B Abreu

LF Jimenez

CF Robert

RF Moncada

C Grandal

DH ?

That lineup absolutely has the potential to make noise in the American League. Mix in some pitching and we absolutely can win the central, if not truly contend. 

I get this will not actually happen, but this is exactly the roll of the dice that could pay off with a trip to the ALCS or beyond. 

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agree with all of this, but two comments:

First, Moncada has already volunteered to move to the outfield, per Renteria.

Additionally, you're right that Moncada is likely a better defender at 3B than Rendon, and that's why Rendon would be the one that I move in this hypothetical signing. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I like Moncada too, but Rendon could change the outlook of the entire rebuild for the Sox. 

3B Rendon

SS Anderson

2B Madrigal

1B Abreu

LF Jimenez

CF Robert

RF Moncada

C Grandal

DH ?

That lineup absolutely has the potential to make noise in the American League. Mix in some pitching and we absolutely can win the central, if not truly contend. 

I get this will not actually happen, but this is exactly the roll of the dice that could pay off with a trip to the ALCS or beyond. 

I'm trading Madrigal in this scenario for SP/RF and putting Yo at 2b.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agree with all of this, but two comments:

First, Moncada has already volunteered to move to the outfield, per Renteria.

Additionally, you're right that Moncada is likely a better defender at 3B than Rendon, and that's why Rendon would be the one that I move in this hypothetical signing. 

Where would you move Rendon to? Second base? Then move Madrigal for a pitcher?

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

So we just spend a quarter billion dollars on 1 player and didn't even fill a hole?  Which is exactly this scenario is never going to happen for this organization, among other reasons.

Look, I'd love to have Rendon play for the White Sox.  But this isn't MLB the Show.  They aren't moving Moncada again (especially to a position he's never played), they aren't trading Madrigal just to create a hole at 2B to fill one elsewhere, and Rendon isn't going to sign somewhere to play somewhere other than 3B. The guy is good, but based on where we sit today, its just not a great use of limited funds. 

That being said, if the Sox actually did it - I certainly wouldn't complain -  I just don't see it as every remotely realistic.  

8 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

He moved to 3B though and for no reason in particular. Why would he be so against moving to RF? Derek Jeter had been the Yankees SS for 8 years. Moncada has been at 3B for 1 year. Moncada was "better" at 3B last year than Rendon, but both of Rendon's previous two seasons were better than Moncada's 2019 season defensively. It's probably about a wash defensively to have Rendon play 3B.

Moncada was a bad 2nd baseman; IDK why, but he was flat out bad over there. Moncada also was quoted saying he felt more comfortable at 3rd than 2nd, so this was a move he seemed to support and be interested in. 

This isn't really the same scenario; you'd now be asking him to move out of the IF all together.

I'm not sure why we're using Moncada's prior defensive performance at an entirely different position to compare to Rendon's success at one position. 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I keep Madrigal at 2B because he's a better defender there than Moncada, and he's young/cheap, which allows for money to be spent elsewhere. 

If you deal Madrigal under your suggestion, that opens up a hole we need to fill in RF right away. I'd rather keep the inexpensive young player at this stage.

This lineup has a ton of potential:

3B Rendon

SS Anderson

2B Madrigal

1B Abreu

LF Jimenez

CF Robert

RF Moncada

C Grandal

DH ?

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245